Please give a listen..

lasagne

I fancy Fancy
Hi guys

This is my latest effort :

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?fid=9392

My singing voice is ropey, so I'd especially appreciate help in this area. I try everything that I've learned on this site to improve the sound of it, but I guess it's a case of crap in / crap out.

Aside from my vocals, any other advice and help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Take away the drums & the lead (?) guitar line part & it sounds pretty good.
You'll need to redo both. Don't go slick with them just a better fit - like the drum pattern for the verse needs a little variation - a offbeat every so often as well as being much quieter.
There a panning prob in the verse - the sustained chord & keyboard are panned together & the guitar opposite is too low in tone & level to balance them.
The pauses becomes tale quickly = you'll need to add something diff each time - a bass run, a keyboard bridge so that the expectation isn't fulfulled with the same each time.
I like your lead ideas but they don't seem to come off.
the vocal is very confessional/comforting as are the harmonies.
There are a couple of clunky bits but they add to the disarming nature of the song.
Excellent work so far!

Your harmonies and the backing that crosses between left and right channels is very nice. I got the feeling that the verses almost had you singing in a key a fraction low for your voice. That's just the way it sounds to me. The instrumentation I found to be really good. Those sweeping vocals are the highlight though and I liked the languid guitar solo.

:)

Thanks Monkey. You're right - the key is a bit low for me, but I was too lazy to go back and re-record what I'd already done.

Thanks for listening.

Yeah the key seems to low. Like you're really digging for those lower vocal lines. When the chorus comes in and you come up in range it sounds much better. The vocals sound thin in the mix too. Backing vox and harmonies sound great. The drums don't seem to belong. They're pretty busy for such a mellow song. I like the melody though. The guitars and musical performance sound great. Vocal range and drums are my only real nits. Just my knuckleheaded 2 cents. :)

Thanks Greg - I would have liked real drums on this, but I don't have access to them.

I will try and see if I can program them a little more sympathetically.

I actually like the vunerability that struggling with the register brings to the performance. It's a key to the whole song (no pun intended)!

ok...ive given it a listen.....and its a a well structured song ...but....seems to me that the whole thing sounds like (which it may well be) singinging in your bedroom after curfew.......its all a bit controlled ....so now i would suggest u need to let the whole thing go ...and i mean instruments as well...its like your scared of waking up the neighbours.....i mean this in a nice way!!

just let your self go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i like the close up and personal feel your voice has in the verses. it's sweet. :):) but i agree with everyones statements about the drums: they just don't seem to belong.

Back