Please critique a new mix

BJW

Hey,

I would appreciate all the info I could get about a new recording I've got up. Comment both on the recording quality and what you think about the song/performance itself. Any input would be great.

The song is called "The Way It Has To Be" and you can find it here: http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?PID=425474&T=3037

What can I do better?

There's a description of what gear I have to record with in the song description page.

Thanks!

Brian

I just re-posted the song. I adjusted the levels a bit - tried to mix it a bit more evenly and bring the final volume up. I just did a limit on the final mixdown - not sure if that's a bad thing or a good thing (I'm thinking bad after listening a bit to the finished product), but it sounds louder now, more like a normal song.

Let me know.

-Brian

Bri-

The snare is VERY recessed...needs more snap and presence, to be more up front. I'd personally keep your electric guitar in one place...it jumps left then right currently...like somebody moved the amp from the left side of the stage to the right in the middle of the song.

Listen to some recordings by U2...observe how they mix their guitars...they're BIG...and WIDE.

That's how I'd probably treat your electric in this piece. Right now you've got things narrowly focused...try slapping a delay on the guitar and ... still keeping the main thrust of the focus slightly to the side...spread the sound all over the stage. Make it big and deep and wide.

Right now you got everything a little too concentrated. Keep experimenting.

K-

Thanks for the reply. THere are actually 3 electric guitar parts, and I panned them different places to keep some balance in the mix. I'm still playing with the panning of the instruments in the mix.

I agree it sounds kind of "thin" for lack of a better word. Maybe I'll try some delays and different panning to make it bigger. If I'm even going to attempt to make the guitars sound anything like U2 I'd better take a crash course in delay, haha.

Any other comments appreciated.

Thanks again,

Brian

Just to get you started, one of the main delay timings that Edge uses is a triplet beat off the main 4/4 count.

The vox dont sit right in the mix. Not sure what it is, maybe EQ issues or maybe add a little reverb. Drums sound good for samples, but snare and KIK need brought up.
Good pop song man. You sent any of this stuff away?
Aye, electric guitar doing the picky bit is too loud man.

The vox are dry - no reverb at all. I thought I might try a bit and see how it sounds.

Thanks for the compliment. As far as sending the stuff off. . . .don't have a clue where to send it or how to go about it. I just write it and record it. I really don't even perform my stuff that much, though I love to do it. I've played a few open mic nights here and there and I love getting on stage, but I don't have much time or opportunity.

Thanks again for listening.

-Brian

I agree that it all sounds rather direct and dry at points. In my oppinion you put not enough verb on everything. I think basicly everything can use some reverb, just a touch. Your kick and snare don't cut through (as mentioned) and your voice doesn't blend with the mix very well.

Back