Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Please Critique My Pathetic Passion

Thanks

Talking Please Critique My Pathetic Passion

Sign in to disable this ad
    Alot of songs I submit to my band The Motor City Saints are ritually rejected.
    The reason is because they are way too "pop" for these guys.

Sooo..I am going to do a "Tom-Tom Club" on their behind, and am gonna form a side band to gig wherever people want to actually hear this stuff.

Please gimme your opinion on this tune called "She's All That".
    It's got a Christian slant to it, and I really tried to keep it as 60's sounding as possible.

Feel free to praise/rip on the instruments and the vocals. I did the whole thing by myself. The drums are the only thing "electronic" sounding, but they are a real Yamaha DTX kit that I played on.

I would love to find a good lead singer, as I am not one, nor am I allowed to sing lead in my band (Smart guyz!)

And I think I want to play guitar in the band I'll be putting together, but I'll play whatever as long as It ends up sounding groovy.

Oh...And I am in LOVE with my new bass. I bought it specifically to record these types of tunes!

With Love,
    Village Idiot

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/...d=1337&alid=-1

Thanks

VI! Ya bum! I haven't heard from ya in ages! Sounds like the British Invasion all over again. Sounds like a cross between early Beatles and Herman's Hermits. Cool tune!

Da Beatitudes huh?

I'll be back wit more comments when I can crank these lil monitors a bit more. Sounds good so far though.

Later Bro!

CR ><>
    http://www.christianmusicianforum.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi

Thanks
    OK Doug, I think the mix on everything is cool except that yammyhaw DTX set needs to come up a bit in the mix. I listened to it with both the monitors and my ol Jensen cans and I can hardly hear the kick at all except in the quieter parts. I personally like the drums back a bit like they were in the old days instead of the snare soundin like it's right in yer lap and the kick beating yer brains to death, but these are just a bit far back.

Great message and I love the way you put this tune together, Bro. Very realistic mid 60's sounding.

Bless ya!!!

CR ><>
    http://www.christianmusicianforum.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi

Thanks

Talking

cool tune VI... The vocals are a bit sibilant in a few spots, and I don't like the effect (flange?) on them at first, but luckily it goes away.. those are my only major nits.. maybe the drums could come up, but the ride is almost too loud as it is so that may be impossible if you don't have the individual drum tracks.. fun sounding tune!

Thanks

Cool

very cool tune...i think the vocal sounds a little small and somewhat weak and the drums definitely need to come up....i would pan the guitar(s) out but thats a personal preference.......

good stuff.....definitely Beatle-ish.....i likes it.......

Thanks
    Thanks for your opinions!

I have always taken the opinions given to me to work harder at honing my recording skills, and because of the two cents I have gotten from youze guyz, I feel I am getting better at the art of recording.

Vi've La MP3 Clinic!

This place is a blessing, I tell ya. Hope It never goes away.
    The talent round heh is RIDICULOUS (In a good way...)

Axe4Yahweh: The drums were laid back in the mix on purpose, and you caught the reason why..To give it that "vintage" drum mix from the mid-60's.
    And I listened to the kick drum like you said..And I will bring it up a bit. Thanks for your critique, my brutha.

SammySabbie!!!!
    The phase voice was my cheap attempt at re-creating the "Itcycoo Park" vocal thingy...
    "Luckily it went away"....I love that quote! That's the kind of honesty (and maybe unitentional humour) I like in the clinic.
    Should I get rid of it all together, or just back off the effect a bit?
    I'm screwed on the drums..Submixed from 2 trax.
    I was hoping you would have something to say about the guitar tones, as you are one of my favorite players around here with a killer tone coming outta your axe all the time.

Gidge-Mo! (As Que calls ya):
    That is how WEAK a singer I am.
    That lead vocal was doubled AND beefed up with some toys I use.
    I really hope to find a strong singer to sing this one for me.
    How would you pan the guitars?
    I have One Rythym clean track, One "Crunchy" rythym guitar track, and one Lead Guitar track.
    Thanks for always gritting your teeth and sitting through my tunes, Gidge.

VI

Thanks
    Man, for the sound you were going for, I'd say you nailed it. Those 60's recordings had the drums kinda' buried, and it sounds like you're playing a Rik...

Vocal could come up a couple of db I think...actually, just in the verses...the level sounds good in the chorus.

I like the harmonies...this reminds me of something TripleM might tackle.

Nice job, man.

Thanks
    Hey VI... You sound a bit like Rod Steward in some places lol...

It's a catchy song. Drums sound a bit weird. Mmmm.. that's all I can think of right now..
    ---------------------------------
    I want [img]-code in the sigs. now!!!

Thanks
    I liked the song. Nice feel to it. I like your bass too - liked the little lick at :45. Simple harmonies, but they work well. Should be a third part though. Kind of had a "That Thing You Do" feel to it in the chorus.

The parts don't kick in at the same time right at the begining.

I don't think your voice is really too bad. Did you use a flanger on it? Sounded like it at the begining. There's some pitchiness here and there. I'd take care to listen for the bad notes and make sure that gets fixed. And rather than a bunch of effects, I think you'd get better vocals by (everybody ready for this???) doubling them. Your voice is a little on the thin side (only a little), but you can fatten it up.

Again, really fun song. Liked it a bunch.

Thanks

Cool

Dougly,

did you do a cut and paste double or didnt you do a second performance?

Thread Information