Please Critique My New Song!

Lzeppelin67

Hey everyone! i am in a band and we have a song in Nowhereradio.com and if anyone has the time to listen to the song and put some feed back on it. Now i know there are some time problems but we had a short recording period so we did 1 take, but we will do some more. Also there are no vocals but there will one day and you can be sure of that.
thanks

here is the link

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/?aid=3469/singles

hey mate

firstly, i 'm a newbie here and therefore probably can't be too technical... and also i'm listening on lo-fi.

yeah, sounds very garage sounding to me. how and where did you record this? it's not neccessarily a bad thing, there are good recordings that sound raw. but i do think there's a few mis-hit notes or out of time notes that you could pretty fix.

maybe a bit more practice. the playng needs to be more "tight". did you record this while playing together?

u should increase the vol of the drums. maybe add some reverb onto them, i don't think they soudn "thick" or "solid" enough.

i didn't like the tone of the distorted guitar, but that could be the "lo-fi" at work too.

the song kind of gets boring, but that because there's no vocals. and it's the same repetitive guitar riffs.

fair effort though.

please correct me if im wrong but

im going to assume that this was just a live everyone in the room 1 take, jam type ordeal. It sounds like it was done on a 4 track but i won't get into all of that. Sandwhiches already addressed some things you may want to think about if you decide to retrack/remix.
The song itself is pretty repetitive and didn't do much for me. It could definantly benefit from some more rehersal, the playing sounds very amateurish (especially the drums).
Maybe thats what you were going for? I don't really know but if your having fun doing it, thats all that really matters.

thanks

thanks for the replys
yes we are a garage or well we practiced in a garage. when we recorded it it was all together in one room with a mic on the bass drum and over head the drums. The bass and guitar went direct from the amp to the 8track. we only did it once and didnt have time to record it again but i think we are going back in to the "studio" some time again. I will tell the other members about what you said and thank you.

P.S. I have 6 more songs if you wish to listen to them

Hmmm... this one has me a bit confused.

Okay, here comes the song. If it were me, I'd chop that intro at least in half. I was beginning to wonder if that was the whole song.

Not sure how long you've been playing, but this reminds me a lot of my first two dozen or so songs, lo so many years ago. It's got potential. Work on tightening things up, and maybe experiment with some odd chords to surprise listeners a bit. It's kind of linear.

Nice work. I'd like to hear what happens in the "studio" and see if you could mix it up a bit with a little unpredictability here and there. Maybe it's just my personal taste, but I like a song to make me do an aural double-take every once in a while, if you know what I mean.

Piltdown Man

Bass is a tad too boomy, need a little more mid range/definition. Like the bass line and counterpoint guitar stuff. The entire track could use some normalization to bring up the beginning's volume a tad.

Drums definitely too far back (sound s lot like my early 4 track recordings with 3 mics, 2 on the kit and one in the singer's mouth :p... *edit -- just read your prior post and boy did I hit this right-on!). Something is popping the mic (cover the mic in the kick with pillows if need be). It sounds like all the frequencies are there, so your eq settings are correct. All of you play well enough, so there's definitely something to work with here.

Here a lot of stylistic influences in there, a little Radiohead... maybe a tiny bit of early, jam-prog rocking Rush...

Hello Zep -- Welcome to the board :)

Okay, took a listen (listening on headphones) and here are my thoughts:

Not bad for a one take performance, but there definitely are some timing issues that need to be ironed out (you know this already, though)...Just some more practice and you should have it.

Mix wise - I found it a bit boomy bass wise, and not enough of the highs on there came through. Maybe it is just on my end, not too sure. Also, the entire mix sounds a little monoish but if this is just a live recording and you don't plan on adding anymore to this recording, it is okay. If you want to add vocals and re-track, you may need to fix the panning on it a bit.

Song-wise: The most important aspect, imho, is the song itself. Even if the mix suffers, a good song will still shine. Please remember these are just my opinions, and all that really matters is how you feel about it, so my opinion means nothing :) I think this song needs some tinkering and tightinging up. The intro, imho, was way too long. I don't think there is anything wrong with a long intro as long as there is something interesting happening, maybe a build up of some kind musically or something, but this really didn't go anywhere. I was actually surprised when the full arrangement came in because there was nothing to signal this. I thought the entire tune was going to just be the guitar playing that riff over and over. Once the arrangement kicked in, it became more interesting. Would really like to hear the lyrics on this one to see where it all goes, but it is understandable that they aren't there yet since it sounds like you guys are still working this tune out.

The playing was good, just sounds like you guys are still learning each others feels and that is something every band goes through. You'll get there, though, since you are nearly there as it is.

Anyway, that is just my $.02...please don't take any comments here in a harsh way, this is not my intention. I just think from a songwriting standpoint, this one can be stronger, but it does have potential.

Keep the tunes coming, man! You will find this board to be both helpful (and painful sometimes :) ) but a great source of inspiration.

Thanks for letting me listen! :)

Here my .02

The intro- I agree is too long. The instrument needs (imo) to be more prominent since it is a solo peice.

When the band comes in, the heavy guitar comes in very stong. The tone is too high end/direct sounding.

The song over all is cool.

The drums are good considering what you used to mike them with (2 or 3 mics).

I'm not going to comment on the playing as I'm merely trying to focus on your mix.

Lastly, the bass needs some tightening up. It should be mixed in a little better with some more lows to anchor everything as the drums are playing "busy" (not a bad busy though).

Nice job for what you had to use!
RF

Back