Please critique my mix! (Metal-ish)

Sounds real good James Macka. Only thing i can say is that the vocals could be a little bit more present. Just a little bit though.
Cool Screamo hardcore song man, if thats what it is!! what are genres anyway?!

I think this mix deserves some more praise as it is one of the better mixes ive heard in this forum. Defo.
Sounds like the track is distorting. Could just be my headphones dying on me though, or could be far too much limiting at mastering.
At 1:43 the vocal sounds too distorted, not sure if that was intentional but im not diggin it.
Are they real drums. Hard to tell they are very clear, but maybe a little too on the money.

Cheers for the continued feedback mate!

I think I may have overdone the limiting/compressing when mixing down like you said. I just did a quick job to get the whole track upto volume before I mixed down.
I'll tread a bit more carefully when I mix it down for a final time.
Any advice? I find it hard to keep the nice dynamics and such on a track but with still getting upto 'CD volume'.

Regarding that scream at 1:43 - It's definatley getting re-done in the next day or so! I think it was a mix of a poor scream & some bad levels!

And yes - They are real drums, but they have gone under their fair-share of surgery in the editing stage, which may well have taken the soul out of them.
But the way I see it - In this genre, the drums tend not to have much groove & soul to them anyway, so I wasn't concerned too much about post-recording triggering & tightening up etc..!
If it was something like a Jazz band, i'd definatley work differantly!

Cheers,
James.

No prob. Happy to comment on your mixes.
Fancy reviewing my mix atall? Its in the thread marked "SEROTONE track". (MP3 mixing clinic)

You have a pretty good mix going on. You obviously know what you're doing. Lots of nice click on the kick, guitars are nice and thick. I can't get my arms around the scream thing (even though I've been in my share of metal bands) so I can't go there. You're on the right track with where you want to go with this.

ecktronic - Cheers man, I'll check out your thread & mix a.s.a.p!

Track Rat - Thanks for the cool words bud. Yeah, the vocals are hit or miss with a lot of people!

Cheers,
James.

had a listen to your other tracks. Did you record and mix all of these? They sound excellent man. real professional.

Yeah, I recorded all the other tracks too!

The others are done with Drumkit From Hell sample's & programmed drums though - Not a real kit like the TFC song. That's what I use for my sort of 'one-man' project (as I suck at playing the drums haha!).

You can check out some of my stuff at www.myspace.com/datura... No vocals yet though :(

Cheers mate,
James.

Nice drum sounds, guitars are cool, and the voice fits. Pretty cool overall song. I agree with the others. Either bring the vocals up a little, or drop all the other parts down a couple db, but leave the vocals alone, so they are more up front. Very cool driving drumbeat. The whole mix sounds a bit loud here, almost near clipping. Might be my system, but it was loud. Other than that, way cool tune. I like it.
Ed

Wow, definatly the greatest mix I have seen so far on this forum. Are there harmonies going on during the sining part besides the screaming, because I could of sworn I could here it a little bit. if there is then turn it up to match the front vocals. If there aren't harmonies, maybe it would be a good idea to get the singer to go back over some of the singing parts and put them in on things like "promise". Just my opinion.

Thanks a lot emergancyexit :):)

Nope - No harmonies on the cleans. The occasional backing screaming as you probably heard, but no harmonies.

We've planned to re-do the vocals tomorrow, so I'll definitely suggest that to him.
We tried some harmonies in other places with the clean vocals but we were 50/50 on the results... Still, we'll have another crack tomorrow!

Cheers,
James.

Hahah nah bud, im a 19 year old, poor-as-buggery student! No real studio for me (yettt heh) :(

Setup:

Drums

SM57's on Snare/Toms
AKG D112 on Kick Drum
AKG C1000s as Overheads

All into a Yamaha mixer -> M-Audio Delta 10/10 -> Sonar.

From there I took the raw drum tracks on CD to my PC at home to mix them & record everything else:

(All the gear listed above is my friend's - My stuff is as follows)...

PC (2600+, 1.25GB RAM, 80GB HDD)
M-Audio Audiophile 24/96
M-Audio Audiobuddy preamp
Mission 71i Monitors w/ Cambridge Audio Amp
Studio Projects B1
Ibanez RG into mixture of Peavey 5150 w/ Laney 2x12 cab & Amplitube for guitars
Bass goes straight in through the Audiobuddy.
Few other bits and bobs like pedals etc..

Thats basically it!...

Studio1.jpg

You may question where I got the money for all this stuff - a LOTTT of boring hours working at Dominos Pizza :D

Cheers,
James.

Nice wee set-up you have there. I aint even got that, all i have is a Boss BR1180 homerecording box! My computer isnt good enough to mix on, but i can master on my computer and make motages (Wavelab) etc.
I use the college studio, but i have finished college now. Im getting one more session four days to record and mix two final tracks for Serotones debut album.
After that its no more recording for me Bahhh! :(

Just shows that you CAN get a good sound from a relatively cheap (compared to places like Abbey road and Angel studios etc.) home set-up. Cool.

Back