Please critique my indie rock mix

MrNemo

I posted this on the mixing/mastering board by accident. This is my first 'indie rock' production project, for a real label, so it has to be RIGHT! I'm looking for any advice to make it better, production, mixing, or mastering wise. I have to finish this entire album this week. You guys seem to know what you are talking about, and I really need help, because I don't want to be blacklisted!

http://www.mephistotech.com/tower/Track01.wma

Thanks!

Shane

You got the sounds very well captured, like the production. Some stuff, listening while typing:

- Overall it sounds a bit muffled
- Vocals a tad too loud
- Drums way too far away, not enough punch, but maybe alright for indie.
- Great performance. I like the bassline and bass sound.
- The distortion guitars have to add some more than they do right now to the song.
- As I said, I would like to hear more ´sparkle´.
- Good acoustic sound

I think it´s almost perfect when you´ll get this remastered. Love it.

Good band eh?

Ok a couple things. First off all the drums are lacking... how do u say it... presence. Thats the biggest thing. I would bring them up for one, and EQ more low end into that bass drum. Maybe take off a tiny big of the reverb, but that is not a rule... there are none. Although there is a lot of talk about having the snare pop out more in rock mixes like this, but I have noticed it burried a little more in certain songs like this, so if anything don't change the snare track. Durring the tom fill they felt very far away, maybe you want this? Maybe the band wants this?

The acoustic Guitar sounds amazing in the mix while the electric guitar could use some definition. It sounds almost hollow to me... Even scooped mids???? Thats a big no if you did. If its flat I'd say add some mids to help it have some punch and pop out in the mix. But dont take away from the ambience. I love that!

The vocals sound PERFECT for this song. It's sung twice with each track panned hard right and left right? Sounds perfect, I wish I could get A vocal track sounding that good. And the Echo on it is perfect. That is echo right? They are a little too loud in the mix. But that might change with other things.

Overall this actually sounds really really good. I would pay to record that if i were them. What I say I only suggest so take it as just a suggestion not a rule.... There are no rules

Great sound, and Good luck.

Ben

emergencyexit said:
Good band eh?
The vocals sound PERFECT for this song. It's sung twice with each track panned hard right and left right? Sounds perfect, I wish I could get A vocal track sounding that good. And the Echo on it is perfect. That is echo right? They are a little too loud in the mix. But that might change with other things.

Overall this actually sounds really really good. I would pay to record that if i were them. What I say I only suggest so take it as just a suggestion not a rule.... There are no rules

Great sound, and Good luck.

Ben

I agree with Ben - the vocals are EXCELLENT. I would keep them just the way they are ......
Good job on production and mixing...... :D

Love the song. Sounds great. Like everyone else said, try and get more punch on the drums. BTW, i really like how there is a lot of space in the mix, it doesn't feel cluttered at all.
Very nice!

Thanks for all the tips. The acoustic guitar is a 1957 epiphone Texan through a Neumann TLM 170, direct. The vox are through a Rode tube mic into a focusrite pre. the drums and bass were done with my mouse. There is no band, only me, and the singer. Guitar was plugged direct, amplitude, that is why they are hollow, and they are scooped, you're right. I hope I can make it better! Thanks so much!

Shane

seems like you may have some lo end probs (too much in some places)
the best way to check is to put it in a friends car that has a "system"
leave it set the way he has it.

good song

i aggree with the priveous posts on the electric git and the kit

i think you did a good job.

Back