Please critique, have no mercy

TamaSabian

Peruvian skin beater
This is totally home recording thing. Me on drums and another 4 fellas, the band is called Mamifero (Mammal in english). Hope you listen and tell me what you think about the mix, the performance and the whole tune. It´s kind of alternative, our influences are Placebo, The Smiths, The Cure, U2, REM, etc. There are a lot of imperfections that we need to improve, that´s why I´m asking you to give it a try and give me some tips. BTW lyrics are in spanish :rolleyes:

Thanks in advance
Tama

Last edited:
No mercy required - this sounds pretty nice to me. Nice balance between instruments - lead lines come out when they're needed. (Love that bizarre chord in the beginning)

Nice drumming and (for me who knows nothing about mic'ing a kit) they sound really good. I hear all the drums and cymbals without anything sounding out of place.

I'd like a little more bass - the rhythm section seems to be far away from the singer and the drummer. The bass needs to get a lot busier for me - he needs to be hanging right there with your rhythmic changes. It'll add so much drive to this tune.

Very cool moving of the vocal - that adds a lot for me. (Oh BTW the voice is very, very nice - can't play this for my wife!)

That's my two cents - very cool song! Where can I get the lyrics translated? I'm curious about this song about a "mammal."

Did I mention the lead vocal is really quite nice!
Milan

Thanks MC Gitarz, I agree with you about the bass, need more punch, maybe rasing up the levels of it in the mix. The vocalist wont believe that somebody likes his way of singing. He works with his voice as a commercial announcer. Very low end but surprisingly he could reach some highs :eek:

You are a little confused, the band is calles Mamifero (Mammal in english). The tune that you´ve heard is La Noche (The Night). Wait until I could translate the lyrics for you.
If you want more info about us check URL=http://mamifero.iuma.com]our website [/URL]

Thanks a lot for listening and give us your feedback.

Tama

Sorry for the confusion! (You're very polite - I'm totally confused!!)The site looks cool - it's always nice to put a face with the names and sounds. I'll check out the other tunes there, too!! Keep on jammin'!!
Milan

This sounds very good.

I think the guitars could come up, but the midrange might need to be tamed a little first. They seem to have been recorded a little thin.

The song is really good. I don't care for the vocal panning. Especially since it's the same voice being panned. Now if there were harmonies, I'd say spread them out. But this is the same voice, and when you're panning it, it's giving the perception of also being louder and very separated from the instruments. If you must pan the voice, I would at least lower the level by about 3dB's to compensate for the isolation. Just my opinion.

Great voice. Guitar playing is good, but I thought the sound was thin. Drums were present, not really noticable- not necessarily bad nor good. Just an observation.

I liked the song a LOT. Very creative. Nice job.

Good point about panning, I feel the space and separation between the vocals and instruments, but if I bring it 3db down you almost listen and understand what he´s singing. I made some mistakes tracking his voice. I allow the singer to stand at different points during the session, for the louder parts he steps back and maybe never returned to the original position.
Lesson learned.

Drums were recorded using just 2 mics, 1 SM57 and a cheap MXL condenser not a 603. Hope I can do it better for our next tunes. In the meantime Fruityloops is what we´re using.

Thanks SLuiCe

smooth recording. Nice placement on the instruments and voices. Id like a bit more substance to the guitars and drums, which thats been adressed already. You did really good with 2 mics on those drums.

Thanx for listening Toki, I appreciate your comments. Are you talking about lead a rythm guitars??. Maybe the change of soundcard made the difference in this recording. Rythm guitars, bass, drums and vocals were recorded using a SBLive, but the lead one was recorded with a 1010lt. Everything using SONAR. I have new gear now, so I expect to raise the level of this latest work. If you don´t mind I´ll show more when it´s finished.

Thanks again

Back