Please critic my mix

Leeking

Hi Guys,

I am working on an album for my church.

Here's a song I've written but the vocal is not me.

Please help me improve the mixing...

Any comments is appreciated.

Note: This is a Christian Praise song. :)

Good work Leek!

At times it seemed your Lead voc was a slight,step behind the tempo but the mite be explained away due to the beer I've been drinking!:p Nice work on keeping the background vocs situated in back of mix. Needs some bass boost IMHO but at the same time appeared just rite for this song! Keyboard riff/solo @ 2:05 sounds a lil out of tune but rebounds and strides nicely forward giving the
song a keen edge.
After a 3rd listen, I kinda' got swept up in your flow which had my head boppin and toe-tappin'!!!

Good work home-boy!

I'm now feelin' the need to go to church!

hey, Lee,

Since you only have 2 songs up, why not encode them at 120kbs instead of 96k? I love the bg vox, the ladies have good voices, but they are getting masked by the rest of the band tho. I would boost the highs a bit on them, and maybe a little compression.

groovy song

ps, are they saying "i love you" in chinese?

Al

sorry, I'm a dumbass. Just noticed they were saying "All I need" :p :p

thought i heard some chinese

AL

haha! AIA2, you not the first to say that the "All I need" in the bridge part sounds like "I love you" in Chinese...

I like the backup vox as well, the girls have good voices that really blends nicely together, I did not need to do much processing on them.

Some of the people commented that the music is too loud. Do yo guys think so?

Mr Q,

Thanks for the nice words.

I think the bass still lack the low-end definition.... still dunno how to get that.... perhaps better gears. :(

Christian pop ain't what it used to be...

This is really a cool tune. I had no idea you were that far along in assembling music. I'm impressed.

Okay, the mix: it's got a lot of high end - it's a really bright mix. My guess is that you EQ'ed lots of tracks high to bring 'em out more in the mix. This tune sounds like everyone's high on coffee anyway, so it doesn't need a load of high end as well. :D If it was me, I'd EQ it again, and instead of boosting high end a lot, I'd cut low end instead. It's an indirect approach, but the final result is often better. For example, try this: highpass filter on the main vocal about 100 Hz and a 2.5 dB peak boost at 5K with a Q about 1.3. All those background vocals: highpass filter about 110 Hz and a 2.5 dB peak boost at 3K with the same Q. Ease way back on whatever boosts you put on those guitars. The bass and drums need more balls - let more low end through. Same reverbs, same levels on the tracks.

Hey, have you ever heard an album called 'Jollification' by Lightning Seeds? I think you'd love it and benefit from listening to it. I haven't heard a tune on this board that comes as close to the feel on that album as this tune you've done here. 'Jollification' is one of my favorite albums.

Finally, I really like this arrangement. That piano break is wonderful. Moving into the repetitive vocal parts just adds to wonderfulness. Pay that backup singer more money - she's great LOL. What a good song.

OK, here is my view

Not bad. Definitely eq'ed to the high end, that could come down. I would also like to hear all the intruments drop back a bit, they are overshadowing the vocals.

The playing is OK, but I think there is too much there. With all the instrumentation, all recorded close to the same volume there is very little distinction in the instrumentation. I don't know if just too many layers of sounds or just a lack of definition on each instrument. Something to play around with in the mix.

"Hey, have you ever heard an album called 'Jollification' by Lightning Seeds? "

I have not heard of Lightning Seeds, but will check them out. :)
Personally, I think this song is more Australia's Hillsong Church oriented, which is very popular now in the Christian music world.

"Finally, I really like this arrangement. That piano break is wonderful. Moving into the repetitive vocal parts just adds to wonderfulness. Pay that backup singer more money - she's great LOL. What a good song."

Thanks fo the kind words, I am not much of a piano player, your comments give me more confidence. :) I'll let my backup singer sings lead vox on the next album. :)

I notice Dobro, and sloops commented on the high ends. I think the problem lies on the guitars. I am really conservative on adding EQ. But I think the guitars were too edgy when I recorded them... (due to poor adjustment on the effect module. :( )

I think I need to apply some EQ cut on the guitars, any suggestions... I think all of the songs in the album suffer from this! :(

Updates!

I have updated the site with a "master" version of the song. The mix is the same and now it is in 128kbps.... sounds better. :)

More comments are welcome! :) Refer link above.

sloop's right about the guitar crowding the vocals during the chorus. Just as an experiment, mute the guitar during the chorus and give it a listen - I bet it sounds way better.

Leeking, I *love* that repeated 'all I need' bit with you and the girl singing. Excellent.

Good song! I kind of agree with the comments about the high end, but it wasn't as bad on headphones. I could make out the bass fine. I think a bit of panning may do this tune justice. A lot of it seems right in the center, and the bg vocals sound pretty buried.

I like that lazy piano solo in there. Gives the song a distintive feel.

Nice job! Kind of a pop tune, with a bit of a techno feel to it. Nice keyboard work all-around! Kind of gives it an 80's vibe.

:)

Back