Please comment on my mastered mix

Excellent

Hello - this is my first ever post - wow!
To me it sounds slick - performance, mix and master
Only comment, and at mastering stage probably couldn't do anything about it even if you wanted to - I don't really like the way the drums go off to the distance at about 2:23 or thereabouts.
A minor point though...
Excellent work

let's see 4 songs a year, 12 songs a cd mmmm... j.k.
just listening on my pc a work but sounds good, like the song, I'll give it another spin when I get home.

Nicely done - Professional mix right there in my eyes (or ears....)

Dont know about the reverb at around 2:30 like Rohan said - It's a very digital reverb, dont know what to think about that.. I guess you either like it or dont.

Overall though, impressive job :)

Sounds good overall... But I agree with the drum reverb issue at 2:23. I think you definitely have the right idea of changing 'em up there, but kinda went about it the wrong way IMO. Maybe something like a bandpass filter would suit it better??

With the doubled parts in the verses (more notably 16 seconds), maybe try a different EQ setting for the doubled part... Not a drastic change, but something to take away from the "harshness."

Also at about 24ish seconds ("you pull me through"), the vocals seem to almost vanish.

Take that for what its worth as its mostly just MY personal taste... and because I'm not a mixing engineer, nor do I claim to be! :cool:

Great work though!

The kick drum seems to be a little funny. Sounds like its cutting out the mix wen it hits. Probably some sort of bus send compression. or too much in some area of the low end or maybe even just too loud!
I like the doubled vox, Dave Grohl stylee.

Panning goes to the left at around 1.31

Yeah anyway nice mix

Not sure why the guy in the 2nd post thinks its at the mastering stage that the drums does that reverb fade out effect.

Eck

Listening more the kick drum really is distracting me from the mix.

This is very good. I enjoyed it. (listened on headphones)

I think eck is right: there is something going on with the kick drum--it is effecting the whole mix. Could there be too much limiting on the master? Probably converting to mp3 doesn't help much. Something about the mix sounds too 'hot' or too smashed by limiting. I kind of like the alternate drum sound in the middle. The vox could maybe come up a bit more, too.

Anyway, good job with this--keep tweaking on it!!!!

Great song, great mix. I do like it very much. The only reservation I have also is with the drum effect around 2:20, other than that, great work!

ecktronic said:
Not sure why the guy in the 2nd post thinks its at the mastering stage that the drums does that reverb fade out effect.

I think he meant that now it was mastered it might be too late to go back.

Very intersting effect with the drums in the middle there.
I can tell you why the kick drum hurts. Just look at the picture. It's completely squashed. I imported the song into Audacity see just how much... and there you go.

Attachments

• Capture_03152007_184524.gif
    Capture_03152007_184524.gif
    21.8 KB · Views: 93
My overall impression is that it's a great song and a great mix. The problem I have with it is that I hear distortion throughout the entire song that I assume happened at the mastering stage when it apparently was squashed to death with a brickwall limiter!

holy schnikes this song is squished to shit! sounds like a great recording and performance, but man the mastering totally killed it. very pumpy on the kick and snare. the ME really needs to back off the limiter a little bit. it makes the song hard to listen to, and it's really a good song.

I didn't hear distortion but it was LOUD.. I'm currently on a work PC also though...
Man!!... I stop increasing gain if peaks start to hit tho top or bottom, after a slight "reduce peaks" compression... :eek:

Yeah, It might be unbelievable... but the mastering before that was even more squashed.

I told him to lay of the limiting and the ''distortion'' but hey, it isn't my mastering ;)

zed32 said:
holy schnikes this song is squished to shit! sounds like a great recording and performance, but man the mastering totally killed it. very pumpy on the kick and snare. the ME really needs to back off the limiter a little bit. it makes the song hard to listen to, and it's really a good song.

I agree. Great song and songwriting, mucho props. Allover, the sound is very good. I did notice some pumping from the drums, and the kick cuts through a bit too much, it could be toned down. Also, while the vocals have good levels, they don't seem very "present." I feel like some parts of the vocal track need to be "dry" and let the listener hear JUST the voice, no FX or doubling. Good work though.

Cool song & production. Compression is distorting the lows bad though.

*********Edit, I'll listen on the monitors later. My laptop may not have the poop to power the phones I'm on where the lows are concerned. ******

F.S.

P-J said:
Great song, great mix. I do like it very much. The only reservation I have also is with the drum effect around 2:20, other than that, great work!

I think he meant that now it was mastered it might be too late to go back.
Ahh, That makes more sense. :)
Eck

Blor007 said:
Yeah, It might be unbelievable... but the mastering before that was even more squashed.

I told him to lay of the limiting and the ''distortion'' but hey, it isn't my mastering ;)
But it is YOUR song. So the mastering engineer (the bitch) :) should do what you ask him to do.

Eck

Back