Please assist my ears.

mrhotapples

Silencing Sirens - SONG 3

Huzzah, this song is almost done. It's 4 a.m. and my ears are quite fried, so I have no idea if this sounds good. I'd like some help with it and some critique and all that jazz. I'm having some problems placing the rhythm guitars and getting the snare to work when there's a lot of guitar going on. My ears fail me and I don't know what to do. Generally, it just ain't clear enough; it may be impossible for this to be avoided, but some suggestions!? The lead vocal may also sound like shit.

My concrete box 18x20x8 garage had a 30% treated ceiling and almost no bass absorption. Bass has thusly been managed a bit with lots of junk in the corners, and ceiling is 50% treated.

Equipment: All into a Firepod with really conservative gain except for the DAMNED VOCALS again...

Drums: OLD SHIT HEADS AND A SLOPPY DRUMMER on a rug! Birchy birch punchiness...Aquarian reso heads on toms!? WHAT!?
Snare: SM57
Toms: Audix I5
OH: CAD M177 (no -20b or HPF) spaced pair close to kit
Kick: Shitmic into Drumagog with TheBlueRoom's Gretsch sample
Room: MXL990
Guitars: Lessie/some Strat, SM57 w/ M177 rooms (50w EL34 powered 4x12 driven very hard + Fender Ultimate Chorus)
Bass: DI jazz bass w/ Ampeg sim
Vox: M177 on lead, I5 and SM57 on scream and bgv(artificial Renverb!)

All help will be appreciated! How'm I doing!?

Yeah, the snare isn't really there is it!
The bass drum is a little too clicky for my tatste too.
the cymbals came up well enough - in fact they take up too much space.
The vox sound like there's no guts to them - not middle or bottom - just top.
The bass is a bit lost too - the bottom end is all wrapped up around the bass drum without a life of its own.
the guitars sound OK.
Try remixing & re EQ'ing with unfried ears.

Reminds me of Jeff Buckley on speed. Not that he probably wasn't on speed anyway, but yeah.

Listening through M-Audio Bx5's. The cymbal is really at the for slightly to the right in the mix. Some of your lead guitar lines don't really push through enough to my ears.

Keep on truckin'

That cymbal's supposed to be to the right, heh! His kit was set up hat, crash, tom, ride, crash, china and I like to have my cymbals spaced the eff out. My poor ears...I will re-mix this mother and make everyone proud!

Thanks for the feedback!

The tune is good. The song is pretty cool.

I would recommend raising the guitar and the snare by 5db or so. The singer can scream but his vox sound out of context with the music for some reason. Maybe could use either a double track or some parts lowered one octave.

The clicky bass is my favorite these days. :) But it's clicky and can afford to have the gits raised way higher.

The cymbals and hats are really sizzlin' and just the right kind.

The playing of the band is pretty tight.

TADA! New mix!

I think this sounds a thousand times better. I couldn't get any kind of nuance when I first mixed this..Now it's ALMOST as late and I'm just as sleep deprived, but it's...Well, a thousand times better and I'm proud of the quality I've achieved with my equipment. I will continue to push forward though!

Rhythm guitars still too quiet methinks. We'll see tomorrow.

This song's done being tracked now, btw. Thank God!

Back