"The Play" (Not-Quite-Broadway version)

SLuiCe

I added a bunch of stuff. Goofy and serious all at once. More vocals, more guitar, and an additional verse. I just finished doing the vocals and I try not to mix after a vocal session, but what the hell. It should be close enough to get the ideas out.

mix, I love your version, but I can't just scrap 4 more hours of work. I was gonna put some cat sounds in my version to counter your dog. :) The cats seemed reluctant.

No, really.

#1 The Play (Full)

I tested the stream and had one instance of buffering on broadband. (192kbps MP3/3.1 MB)

I just posted on the old version of this tune...but I'll post again here. This is THE BEST thing I've heard in my short time on the forum. Sorry to gush ;) but it really is phenominal. I downladed it and i will listen to this over and over. In fact, I'm now going to check out all your other stuff. Really great job!

Sluice, what can i say?? querky as HELL! Sound's like something primus would do, but it sound's nothing like them!! Does that even make sense??:( The distorted laugh @ around 1:24, i don't like that to much.............The break and the laugh are perfect, it's the effect i'm not feeling, I "think" one of the"so you think i hit her" effect's from winded (the first version) would fit better.

IMHO......LMAO! :D

fuckin mix sound's great!!!!! i love your big acoustic sound!! maybe one day!! your voice is slowly becoming my favorite!! luv it!

Right on!

Peace

fendergushingood

I thought the other thread for the first tracks would be gone, but it got bumped. Sorry for taking up the extra space guys! I've bumped a few threads back up over me to compensate....

Sydfan- got your PM. I put the original (stripped down version) back up. It should be listed right below this one. Thanks for listening. I'm glad you like this stuff!

fender - Ya if I get any ideas to replace that 1:24 break I might. Thanks for mentioning it. And thanks for the vocal comment...maybe I'm starting to get better control of it. (God I hope so...) Take care brothah.

Last edited:
wow.. I'm not sure what to say about this Tom.. I almost can't grasp it.. It's great.. I won't say I liked the dry original version better, but it seems like I was able to gel with it more when it was just voice and acoustic.. I have to listen to this a few more times because it confused me.. :)

I'll be back after a burn or two..

AS POSTED ON MIXMKR's THREAD:

Rightgeous Groove !!! I love it.

Todd Rundgren would be proud. In fact, your vocal is very reminscent of Todd.

I think the vocal is a tad hot. I keep wanting to turn it up so I can hear more guitar and bass, but the vocal "gets in the way". That's just a personal taste. Overall, it sounds very professional and has a mastered quality to it.

What mic did you use for the vocal?

Cool tune. Nice Job.

BPOCO.

PS: Did your dog write it's own lyrics? If so, does it get a co-writers credit? LOL.

I think I've been tainted by Mixmkr's version. I listened to it several times last night (and fell in love with it), before I found out it wasn't the original. So I'm having a hard time making the transition to this version.

Super clean recording. My question still holds, what mic did you use for the vocal?

Hell, my original post holds for the sluice version too ... except for the dog comments.

BPOCO

Nothing to grasp there Sammy really. But I tend to pull my lyrics from a slightly different area of the brain than a lot of songs. This one was just a bunch of ramblings about superficial people pretending to be your friend. You know it's just goofing around music, but I like that sort of thing too. Thanks brotha.

BPOCO, ya I didn't know mixmkr was going to do something with that. I didn't even know he had heard it. But I was pretty flattered that he played with it and made something cool from it. I sat down to finish my work and I was like, "what do I do after that!" The mic is a SP C3. Who's Todd Rundgren? I'd like to hear something. Thanks for listening!

Last edited:
:D :D .........I like it.......... I cant dance to it, ....but i like it:D Lotsa freedom in this.....I can really respect that.

The bass choice was a good one. The stand-up sounds good with this. I dont like the part your playin though. ....just mho.
I would like to hear it land on the key notes a little more frequently.... or walk...... either way. How did you do that little ayyayyyayyy vocal part at :32? Did you sample that in?...just curious........ ......and also that decending "laugh" part at 1:26...... .......what is that squeezed sound.... do you know what i mean?
The madness that starts at 1:53 sounds a little too hot to me. Im not sure what all you have in there...... Are you running those through some kind of amp simulator? I like the big build, but not the distorted quality of it so much.......

.....my friend, I have downloaded every song you have ever put up in this clinic.......... this song is an example of why......

...........You are a twisted fuck :)
gw/5

I listened to this last night after seeing it up on NWR. I like what you've done with the additional instrumentation.

Sounds good, and the performance is top shelf. Slightly twisted, but in a good way.:cool:

Guernica - Yep. I just didn't hear a bass part that worked with this and didn't just sound like guitar doubling. Had no ideas there.
Thee "ayyayaya" part is just two vocal harmony tracks doubling a plucked violin sound track, tucked a little bit out back somewhere. The descending laugh thing is just some notes played on some Triton patch and I rolled up into each chord with the control wheel. The squeezed note is some patch. I don't know man, I just laid whatever came to mind at the time. :rolleyes: Sorry I'm not that helpful on this one. :( "The madness" is not an amp sim (I do all guitars with mics, for better or worse). The tracks were distorting but I didn't care. Just wanted to lay it down and get onto a real tune, ya know. Plus after mixmkr beat me to a full production, I kinda lost my motivation. I'd already heard it full. :) But I said in the original thread I'd finish it so here it is. Thanks Mike. (How's Rhythms coming? Just curious.)

M. Brane - just slightly twisted? You may as well just tell me it's boring :) Thanks Brane.

Mike I just re-read what I wrote and it kinda sounds like a bunch of excuses, but I appreciate you taking the time to share the detailed observations! You've got a great ear and it's always helpful.

Tom

after listening a few more times, there are things I like about all three.. the original seemed like it was more insane, but this version definitely has it's moments..

there is room in the world for all three versions..

the original version..

I posted a response on your other thread about your full version. But being considerate, I'll let you thank me in this thread so you don't have to indulge yourself and bump that thead (that you would feel soooo guilty doing;) )

just to repeat...that is one of the loudest mixes I have heard in the ending.

Well, I didn't hear the original, but I like this one--especially the lyrics. You really pulled out some inventive stuff there. Recording is real solid. Man, you never seem to have a single rough edge or sibilant spike in any of your stuff haven't I told you--your gonna make me look bad?:D

Only thing I'd do different is turn that electric rhythm down a bit at the end. Its competing too much with the voice, I think.

Now, I gotta find the Mixmkr version of this and see whats going on!

the mix is great
the song remninds me of something the "grinch's" evil bastard brother might sing ....lol..

the guitar riff is killer.....tho...

and when it kicks in....it gets WAAAAAY better!!...

that enough?...:D

jamal

Jamal Bucket said:
the song remninds me of something the "grinch's" evil bastard brother might sing ....lol..

There it is! That's the best comparison I've heard so far. :D

Thanks a lot dudes. I'm gonna do some more serious efforts next, but this was a good exercise. I'm thinking I might like to do a Halloween album someday soon. How fun would that be!

Sam, thanks for the additional listen. I don't know what version I really like, if any, to be honest. Maybe I'll change the lyrics someday and put it on a Halloween album. Thanks brotha.

mixmkr, if I come up with anymore little riffs or whatever, maybe I'll send them your way. As for "loudest mixes" It peaks at digital zero. It's just very full. There's no clipping at all on this, but I did get some nasty undesirable distortion on the electric guitar tracks, but I left them there. I have to limit myself with some songs as to how much time I devote. I have like 4 or 5 projects going right now that I plan on detailing, and I just don't take this tune very seriously. Thanks for re-posting in this thread. At one point all threee threads were right next to each other...it was kind of embarrassing! :)

crawdad,
you never seem to have a single rough edge or sibilant spike in any of your stuff
You do have a knack for highlighting the positives. While that quote is probably not entirely accurate (but thank you anyway), I do feel like I've developed better and better tracking methods. I do very little mixing now, maybe an hour or two for a 5 minute song. As you already know, the tracking is really the most important stage. I've becomem comfortable enough with my gear, that I can usually do my guitar parts in 1, maybe 2 takes. If the vocal is already written, that's usually just 1 or 2 takes too.

I suspect that's even more true about you. Your tracks have a great calmness about them. Thanks Al.

Sluice, that is truly interesting and disturbing and musically inventive. It reminds me a bit of Mr Bungle at the end, but it's like nothing else I've ever heard the rest of the way through. Broadway, sure, but what play? :D

The mix is great.

Really creative - you're doing stuff I've never heard before. Whew! Is your other stuff like this, or is this a one-off?

Hey, this is way cool! Superb vocals. Pleasantly weird midi sound you chose for the 'sax' solo. The drums could use a bit more reverb at the end (when the guitarchoir begins), or a different drumsound. IMHO. Sounds a tad too dry there...

I liked this one a lot. I've been away from the mix clinic for quite a while, so I haven't yet heard the other versions (can't decide if I want to either). Guitars sound great & I love all the crazy stuff between verses.

Back