This place has turned into metal-zone overnight..

Mistral

RyosaMusic
A Re-Introduction to my Metal project, "Mistral".

Every 2 threads now I seem to be seeing someone doing a metal track, but it wasn't so long ago that I was one of maybe 2 people here doing anything of the sort.

Now that I've started recording a new cd I'll probably post new tracks here as they come but in the meantime I'd like to familiarize the rest of you with my back catalog.

I have a compilation of 8 tracks available for download on this page: www.metalhq.com - melodic death, black, thrash, goth rock, a wide range of stuff here. I've since found a range I'm comfortable with, so the new stuff will be even better.

I don't plan to make any changes to these mixes here - they're as done as they're gonna get, and I have a pretty good idea what's wrong with them. Still if anything sticks out at you I guess you could mention it, so I know what to really avoid. Otherwise just let me know if you enjoyed them.

Last edited:
Ah Mistral
,so now we know to whom we should attribute blame...
All those heavy metals in the water, the air, the processed meat, CD collections...
It's good to see a genre revived, though I'd be inclined to put the oxyviva away for a while, and recognized as a fun thing to play.
If only people would listen to Budgie, or Buffalo to realise the range available in the style & the vast tonal range a guitar has.
Still... what is this that walks before me...
Cheers
rayC

Its my fault with all my metal classical stuff :rolleyes:

I amchecking out one of your tunes now mistral and its very good. :cool: I like the playing, nice and tight. I am not a fan of this kind of vocal, but thats because I am not a fan of this kind of vocal ;) I am sure your target audience would love it. The effects, panning and playing is all very good, well done!

Thanks DavidK. Metal Classical stuff eh? In what way is it classical.. Sounds a bit like what I am currently doing. I'll have to check it out.

As I said, I tend to take bits and pieces of different styles. As such, I use more than one vocal style as well. One track might not represent my sound very accurately. But I'm glad you liked what you heard.

Mistral said:
Thanks DavidK. Metal Classical stuff eh? In what way is it classical.. Sounds a bit like what I am currently doing. I'll have to check it out.

As I said, I tend to take bits and pieces of different styles. As such, I use more than one vocal style as well. One track might not represent my sound very accurately. But I'm glad you liked what you heard.

nice stuff mistral.

Im thinking the drums were programmed ?? not sure though, they sounded good and real enough that they dont take away from the tracks.

would you mind shareing what drum program you used ?? Is it computer based or a stand alone drum machine.

thanks

I've used more than one method on those recordings, but most recently my weapon of choice is the Drumkit from Hell with the DR-008. I haven't tried DFH superior yet.

Previously I've done some pretty strange things, and you can hear the result in "The Earth's Reflection", I basically tapped out a kick/snare beat on 2 microphones using a stereo to dual mono splitter, and tracked each stereo channel to its own track, then applied the Drumagog sound replacement plugin to that tapping as a trigger. I added a real-hi hat which I played to a metronome, and then the toms using MIDI. These days though I'm much lazier and prefer the convenience of programming, copying and pasting using Sonar's MIDI editor. I learned that with DFH it is easy enough to get real sounding tracks using velocities, and I know enough about how real drummers play to ensure a realistic performance.

It interesting to see how metal has changed over the years.

When I was a young man, Black Sabbath, Led Zep, Iron Butterfly were considered heavy metal. Now it's called pussy metal! It was very hairy but soft on the inside.

I'm starting a new Genre of metal called Anodized metal. I can be any color you like and you never know what is inside. could be aluminum, you just don't know.

I bet in 20 years metal heads will be saying, I remember when they used to just sing about death and shitting in someones coke, what a bunch of light weights!

20 years from now they will be playing high tech powertools with diamond blades, tying up cheerleaders and shoving a turkey baster up her ass and cut her fingers off one at a time with a garden lopper while the lead singer screws a live screaming Tasmanian devil.

Over. :)

EL34 said:
It interesting to see how metal has changed over the years.

When I was a young man, Black Sabbath, Led Zep, Iron Butterfly were considered heavy metal. Now it's called pussy metal! It was very hairy but soft on the inside.

I'm starting a new Genre of metal called Anodized metal. I can be any color you like and you never know what is inside. could be aluminum, you just don't know.

I bet in 20 years metal heads will be saying, I remember when they used to just sing about death and shitting in someones coke, what a bunch of light weights!

20 years from now they will be playing high tech powertools with diamond blades, tying up cheerleaders and shoving a turkey baster up her ass and cut her fingers off one at a time with a garden lopper while the lead singer screws a live screaming Tasmanian devil.

Over. :)

I am a young man and I Consider bands like Sabbath, Zep, Purple to be the "Cream" :D (get it :D ) of heavy metal.
But I guess today its looked up on or down on as Hard rock. :) :cool:

forging the universe

so THAT's where I got that song!

It's on my computer here at work, and I never could figure out where it came from! :p

I'm gonna get a head start on the future.

I got my Makita skill saw hooked up, I'm standing is a tub of coke and I'm gonna saw a cigar store Indian up into very small ashtrays.

Mistral,
Sorry - I just blathered on - you have too many songs & I have, therefor, too much choice. I just visited your page & hada a listen to the three tracks. I like the music - it was a tiny little bit thin in places but I'd put that down to the MP3 compression - the playing is good some of the riffs are MUCH fresher than some of the stuff being reissued on the forum. I think your vocals are a bit too up front too - the lyrics aren't a cause for concern just the placement of the vox in the mix - I like my metal vocalists a little on the obscured side of the mix.
EL34 - Nick Cave's former lead guitarist (Blixa)'s band use power tools, ends of guitar leads, sheets of metal & GUITAR to make beautifully scarey NOIZZZZZE.
Cheers
rayC
I was never a young man - didn't fit the profile for the adjective or the noun the former due to my wizzened visage & the atter due to my failure to take on a stereotypical man's life according to my father -I remember when Slade & TRex were just considered pop music - now Slade are some kind of Hard Rock & Bolan is a demigod ( Mind you I still LOVE Slade's pop music). I remember waiting for House of the Holy - Sabbath Bloody Sabbath & Never Turn Your Back On A Friend as if breath couldn't be drawn until they'd permitted it.
I remember going bananas when my fav rock paper (RAM) gave awau a 4 track flexi sampler with the Damned, Ian Dury & Elvis Costello. talk about refocussing my widdle mind - & NOW, well I like both kinds - Country & Western - NOT!!!

thanks. my personal preference is for the vocals to be audible enough that you can figure out what is being said. still, some people have told me that my vocals are too quiet, so perhaps it is a matter of taste.

Back