Pity

K-dub

Just sharing a brand new one ... a very simple short acoustic rock piece.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Best,

Kev-

I like the clean sound on this one - the acoustic guitar's delicious, and the organ's really effective, and the strings are brilliant. Ideas:

* On the 'do' at 'what a man's supposed to do' - maybe cut even more instruments so that the vocal's even more alone.

* On the acoustic guitar sound - maybe experiment with a softening/rounding/distorting/enhancing plugin to see what effect it has on the sharpness of the spikes. I don't know...Kush UBK-1 or something like that. Whatcha think?

Oh - and I really like the tune. :) Good stuff.

Funny that mention about the drop out section, P -- Originally, I had it with just the guitar ... very sparse. then I screwed up playing the wrong chords on the organ ... but I liked it so I left it. Then I added the bass and extended a kick and cymbal through it ... and now you want me to take it all out and go with my original thought? :)

I have the acoustic guitar really hyped in the high freq range ... intending on accenting the strum/pick to drive the rhythm w/ not only the drums, but have the git pull the oars too.

I can pull that back a bit an still achieve my goal. Thanks for the note on that -- for I'd wondered if I'd pushed that too much.

I've got some fine tuning to the mix to get done (you know me), but all in all this was one of those that because of its simplicity probably took less than a couple hours in total to assemble.

Thanks for the comments, bud!

Kev-

I tweaked things this morn, P. Dropping everything out didn't work for me -- but "thinning" it -- taking some notes out of the organ ... did. New mix is on link above.

Funny that mention about the drop out section, P ... and now you want me to take it all out and go with my original thought? :)

:D

"we all boil down to fools" - it's a bit hard to make out 'fools'. Up a bit? Or cut the other stuff a dB each just at that point?

I like the new tweak. I like the tune. Something like this could have turned out mawkish, but this one just tells it. In a goofy way, the whole song is just a set up for the strings to come in and tell it even better. Effective like Pachelbel. Brilliant.

My wife thought I should rewrite the lyric so that it represented a lighter, more sarcastic approach. She wanted to make "Isn't it a Pity?" sound a bit more like a gentle chiding "Oh you poor baby."

I thought it worked as more a shrug ... "just tell it straight and is what it is" (as you noted) but she warned me to not get too sentimentally maudlin.

I then floated the lyric by a couple lyricists who advised me to leave it as written.

I'll tend to that bump ... just a db or so on the word I think will do it.

Thanks again, P!

Kev-

Sounds okay. I'd like more bass gtr. There's some timing weirdness at 2:42-ish. I'm not crazy about the canned drum sounds, but it is what it is. Those last two cymbal crashes seem unnatural and unnecessary. I think all the sounds are generally pretty good though. Good vocals. Good keys and stuff. Just gimme more bass. :)

Again we return to my original inclinations. I had the bass +2.5db up from where it sits at moment in first mix.

Damn you for catching the timing weirdness. I'm still trying to figure out where it's occurring, but great ears are also why I post here. I corrected a little early bass note and it helped, but I believe the timing may be ever so slightly off on the guitar.

I hate the last two cymbal crashes ... as they're out of balance in volume ... but I bought X2 by Sonar and I haven't yet figured out how to do certain shit (too busy) ... and that's why that is what it is. I also think I need to add a kick while that happens.

Thanks, G -- ALWAYS appreciated.

Kev-

Catchy tune. Nice job, well done, I like it.

Thanks F!

I got a moment today to tend to some of the issues mentioned above and massaged the mix a bit more. New mix is on link above.

The timing issue was an ever so slight stutter in guitar, Greg. Great ears.

Best,

Kev-

I think this is great. I don't hear the timing issue and agree with the canned drum sound. !0 years ago I would have thought they sounded good for fake drums. I think because I am also so used to the "stock" sets in Toontrack, that I've tried to make them a little different in some regards...either with tuning or whatever.

I think this is great. I don't hear the timing issue and agree with the canned drum sound. !0 years ago I would have thought they sounded good for fake drums. I think because I am also so used to the "stock" sets in Toontrack, that I've tried to make them a little different in some regards...either with tuning or whatever.

(Lighthearted insults removed) I did this in less than two hours total and didn't have time to fuss with drum tones. Since I'm going to die never being popularly appreciated, I'm going with making do with less. :)

How are you, C?

Last edited:
Sorry for being a little late to this and bumping a page 2 thread.

I think I'd put the bass up where you had it. I really like the tone.

Canned drums sound canned. :)

Vocals and keys sound good. Acoustic guitar on the right sounds good too.

The timing thing came at 2:39 on my player. Very small. I wouldn't have caught it if I hadn't been listening for it.

Strings at the end were a good idea.

It's very small ... but I can still make it disappear completely w/ more judicious editing. Did you want even more bass? I made a mistake and ran it through a virtual guitar amp and I've gone back and forth doing it dry and settled on sticking by my error. :)

Sounds like the drums are left out of the equation. the music doesnt seem to set in well with the drums... remember drums set the stage.

Thanks CMB. I finally went into the drums ... swapped some sounds, retuned them and tried to get them to "fit" a little better. New mix is up above.

(Lighthearted insults removed) I did this in less than two hours total and didn't have time to fuss with drum tones. Since I'm going to die never being popularly appreciated, I'm going with making do with less. :)

How are you, C?

why...I'm doing fine... you liar!!! sounds mo' better, Kev. this is a good tune. raise your bar up too about your death surroundings!... you morbid, ungreatful, musician..you!... Now that I know you're going to die without making a ripple in the music industry, that frees me up to steal some of your chord progressins! be good....

Back