Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: PiltdownMan here... struggling with this mix...

Thanks

PiltdownMan here... struggling with this mix...

Sign in to disable this ad
    Okay, I know something's wrong here, but I can't quite figure out what. I only recently discovered the joys of compression, which has helped me tremendously, but I still find something lacking in this mix. Give me some advice on:

Everyone Will See
    http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/...d=2881&alid=-1

Two caveats: 1) the lyrics are placeholder only, just to get a feel for the melody. I will likely change them all -- or most of them. 2) my Roxio mp3 ripper must suck. I rip at 128, but when I listen back to my own posts, they sound WAY compressed and "shiny." Are most others posting at 128 for bandwidth sake? Should I invest in a different ripper or rip at 160 or 192? This sounds 100% better as a WAV.

Thanks for your help again, ladies and gentlmen.

(P.S. I use an Aardvark LX6 soundcard, $60 Electrovoice mic, a Jackson PS-4 guitar through a Zoom 2020 effects board, Alesis QS6 keys, DR-008 drum machine and Cubase 5.1... so I have to work my ass off for decent sound. :-)

Thanks
    If it sounds way better as a wav on your end than the mp3 it most likely is an issue in the algorithm used by the converter. Over here it lacks dynamics on the guitar, being almost constant "against the wall" but it sounds good, like the pressure 15 ft in front of a hot maxed out jcm with a full stack. I think if you backed it down a touch, carved a bit off the low end of the guitar to let the kick, toms, and bass come through a little more distinctly it might help. Bring the vocal up some more for better definition. A different converter or different bit rate algorithm might work. Can`t really tell here since we cant hear the initial wav to compare. I use Winlame or dbpower amp.
    " Miwk Kowz "

K: securelock

Thanks

Thumbs up

cool song! I like the vocals in the chorus.. the drums don't cut through the guitars enough.. they sound very midi.. different samples would help.. louder bass drum.. the drums sound techno and the guitars sound metal.. the bass needs something too.. I really like that chorus! good riffs.. this tune desperately needs a fatter bass drum and snare..

Thanks
    Damn, Sabbath, you are so right! The thin drums are a big part of the problem. This song started as a techno song and sort of transmogrified into a harder song (happens a lot with me). Having spent so many hours listening to it in progress, the drum sound never dawned on me.

Unfortunately, I have to use MIDI drums. Don't have the cash or space for a fully mic'ed set, though I spent a dozen years playing drums and could probably do better with a real set.

Anyway, I appreciate your comments and will work on the drums.

I love constructive criticism. :-)
    "Great spirits have always encountered opposition from mediocre minds." -- Albert Einstein

Thanks
    yeah most of use use midi drums, but you just have to try and find better samples..

and then I'll nit pick about the guitar sound..

Thanks
    Well, first I pour the maple syrup all over my......and then the old lady........oops, never mind. Different thread.....

Great little tune there! Yup it needs a bass part. Maybe ease up a bit on the phone booth sound on the fuzzy guitars. There really overwhelming. Vocals are fine and the most interesting part in the song, though it is a catchy little melody none the less. I thought it was going to be a Rush song for a minute there with some of the cord progressions but then that thought went away.

Fuller drums would be something nice and traditional but this genre of music pretty much lets anything be correct.

From what I have heard on the previous track and thread of yours, I have no doubt you'll work it out correctly with or without us.

Nice stuff!

Thanks
    Originally posted by PiltdownMan
    sort of transmogrified into a harder song

How often do you get to use that word, transmogrified? I'd really like to start using it. It's a cool fucking word, no?

Anyway, I saw this falling off the front page with only a couple responses...and I don't like that happening. I'll try to listen after work, but I can at least give you a bump for now...

Thanks
    Thanks, SLuiCe. You're a gentleman and a scholar. It's really difficult to get people to actually listen and give cohesive, rational reviews of mixes and songs here, I've found. Or maybe my stuff just sucks that bad. I don't know. Anyway, as Bartles & Jaymes would say, "Thanks for your support."

By the way, I find it odd (unless I'm just overlooking it) that there's no forum on this site for simple song critique. I know some of that goes on here, but why can't there be a non-mix-oriented section that just says, "Hey, here's a song. Do you like it or not? Why or why not?" It could be the mix or the structure or the lyrics or whatever.

Sorry. I just think that would be both fun and helpful.

Carry on.
    "Great spirits have always encountered opposition from mediocre minds." -- Albert Einstein

Thanks
    Hey man I loved this tune! I want more vocal, just enough to make out the words. I think you'll find once you've kicked around here for a while, you'll get what you need, including quite a bit of feedback on the songs themselves. In fact, I think most people feel most confident giving that kind of critique more than mix critiques.

I thought this was great, and I try to say what I mean, almost to a fault sometimes. Get those vocals up so the sarcasm isn't so veiled. It's quite ok to be angry, as long as it's not mock anger contrived for radio.

Tom

Thanks
    Thanks, SLuiCe. The low vocal is, I think, a subconscious response to being not completely comfortable with the lyrics or the vocal. I should know by now that burying a vocal doesn't solve the problem. As I said, it's subconscious. That's why I come here for the opinions of my peers and superiors. I'll definitely work on that and fatten the drums, per Sabbath (I think). You guys have been a great help. Thanks.

Thread Information