Piltdown Man here... Question: Really Home Recording?

PiltdownMan

Sorry if this is a bit off-topic, but I'm wondering: how many of you are REALLY recording in bedrooms, living rooms, home offices, etc. I record every song I write in a home office on my home computer with Cubase 5, a couple of guitars, an Fxpansion DR-008 drum machine, a 10+ year old ZOOM 2020 multi-effects processor, a B2-Pro mic (recent addition) and an Alesis QS-6 keyboard.

I'm not complaining or critizicing, just wondering, 'cause I keep hearing the word "studio" in posts, and some of these songs don't sound like they were recorded in a bedroom. :-)

Just wondering how my skills (or lack thereof) compare given my limited equipment and the fact that I write all my own songs, play all my own instruments, sing all my own vocals and mix all my own stuff. The proverbial one-man band. :-)

We now return you to your regularly scheduled program.

From my experience, it's just about all of us. You're in the home of one-man bands with bad drum samples. Now get back to work. :)

I work in the basement, in a closed off area I negotiated with the wife...It's my settlement.

Kinda like that little strip of land the Palestinians are in control of.

Should name my studio "Little Palestine".

VI

Semantics

Don't let the word "studio" throw you. Most of us are recording in totally untreated rooms w/o iso booths or anything close to them.

My studio is one corner of the master bedroom.

I work under the bat's house

My 'studio' is the attic of our house. Since I live in a very old house, when I hang out of the window to have a smoke, I'm often visited by friendly, local resident bats.

All of my recording gear put together cost about $2K. (musical instruments sold separately, some assembly required, batteries not included)

But since I don't use that room for anything other than recording my music, I refer to it as my 'studio.' Many would take great offense to my wanton use of that word.

I'm lucky. Technically I am recording in my bedroom, but my bedroom is in the basement so I've got a lot of room. I even have a pleather couch. Not leather, PLEATHER.

I have a 2-bedroom garden apartment, but my "roommate" is my recording hobby and songs; the spare bedroom has my music gear.

And now, completely off-topic: GO CUBBIES!!!
:)

Basement dweller here.

It's dry and divided into 3 spaces. Two are where I record. A 18X22 foot room with all the instruments and a 10X15 seperate room with its own foundation and a steel insulated door where I have the recorder,monitors , etc. All the walls are insulated, covered with wood paneling, and I have carpet on the floor. Not a real studio but a fun space nonetheless.

I have a 4 bedroom townhouse and use two of the four bedrooms as my studio. One as the control room and the other as a live room.

Unlike all you digital guys and gals, I am still living in the stone age here, using all analog gear for tracking and mixing!

Cheers! :)

Hey Ghost, if you think thats bad, I recorded a whole 11 track album using nothing but a DIRECT LINE guitar into the MIC input, and singing vocals into the inbuilt mic ontop of my monitor. How cool is that :D

Thanks!!!

Wow. Great response! Thanks for all the posts. Very intersting. I especially appreciate the pix. That was an unexpected -- and very cool -- addition!

I'm humbled to know that so many of you write such awesome music from enclaves similar to mine. I'm actually a bit disappointed. I was hoping you all had multi-million $$ studios so I'd have an excuse for why I suck so bad. :-(

This turned out to be a great idea. Thanks again for indulging me!

Piltdown Man

(I'm going to try to insert a pic of my studio, but I've not done this before, so it may not work. Oh, well.)

index.html

Same here....More shit stuffed into my bedroom than my wife can stand!;) Just the drum set was bad enough when I brought it home 4 years ago....now three amps, 4 gutars, keyboards yata yata ...she hates it...well hate is a strong word! She tolertates it. But hey , I'm the MAN of the house! !

OOPs, gotta go.....she's calling for her breakfast!

Jason;)

Back