Pen Penny Pen with JohnnyAmato and ibleedburgundy

Thanks. I had the snare snapping pretty well in an earlier mix. Now they sound dull again. Must be compression. I'll have another look.

Sorry, love the tune and everything else, but the drums just suck. Not being mean, just honest. Getting a real drummer would be my suggestion. Fake drums can work in some genres. Not in this song. It kills it for me....

Hi Jimmy. They are real drums, I'm just not getting the mix right. There were some issues that I struggled with on this tune, and still am struggling with. I'll take another swing at it this weekend.

Wow, I so thought they were canned. Props to he drummer then for being solid.:)

So what I would suggest is that the drums need some massage...Or maybe less. The fact that it sounds like fake drums to me is either me being an idiot, or that the dynamics are over contained.

What have you done to the snare in regards to compression or sample addition?

No sample addition. There may be too much compression, or the wrong kind. Mind if I send you a stem this weekend so you can hear the drums in isolation? I'd be curious to hear your advice.

No sample addition. There may be too much compression, or the wrong kind. Mind if I send you a stem this weekend so you can hear the drums in isolation? I'd be curious to hear your advice.

Absolutely no problem. Send all the tracks. I'll give it a mix for fun. Have a rare weekend off work

I didn't really have many issues with the first mix.

Honestly I think the snare is too bright in this mix. Might be just me. It sounds OK, but I liked the way it was before better.

But nothing I'd strongly suggest changing.

Sounds great to me. I missed a few revisions 'cuz I was up at the cabin for a bit, came back with more projects pressing to finish, been busy with that.

Sounds like you turned up the lead vocal reverb? Sounds cool, on the verge of overdone, but still sounds great to me, cool dimension, fits the tune very well.

The snare sounds great to me, no problems to my ears. Drums as a whole sound fantastic, actually. Best mix I've heard yet.

Sounds pretty much done to me. The vocal reverb decay could "maybe" come down a hair, but I'm not sure. I kinda like it. It sounded the most prevalent in the beginning, then I guess I got used to it rather quickly. Definitely let her sit and move on for now.

Nice work, Ray, sounds fantastic.

Snare now a bit buried. Vocals slightly hot in mix but that is a personal choice thing. Drums do sound way better, though the toms have priority in this mix and again the snare is not cutting through the way I would expect.

I feel you guys may be in that place where you can't listen objectively anymore. The circle of mixing out of your box... lol! Been there and it happens...

Yeah, I think the vocal is little overcooked. I'm going around in circles on this mix! Definitely time to let it rest for a bit.

Wow Robus,

It's always hard to listen to one of your songs in the forum, the mixes are often far and above what I can and do put out and there's nothing to complain about or add. Same for this.

If I had to be a nitpicker, it's the volume on the lead guitar on the right, just a little strong for my taste.
Songwise, nicely put together - love the lyrics, too

Timbo

I like the latest mix Robus. I think it really sounds good as far as the mix goes. If I have a nit, it would be that the guitar noodling on the right is a tad too loud and kind of distracts from the vocal. Just barely too loud and that is REALLY nit picking and also subjective. So, take it with a grain of salt.
killer song and recording bro!

Back