Past and Present recordings

This is really first rate. I love the production quality, especially that of the drums on the second track. It's very 70s Narada Michael Walden / Return to Forever. I would love to get a sound that dry yet that deep from my own drum tracks. No issue at all here with production quality. The playing is tremendous all around. The woodwinds sound amazing. My only issue is with the organ-ish sound at the beginning of the X-mas song. It's very artificial. However, it would have fit in perfectly in a 80s/90s GRP recording, which is probably something you're going for here.

All the best,

JD

Hey thanks. Actually the first cut was done back when it was 'in' to use those synth sounds. The organ on Hark! -I was going for that 'cheesie reggae' "I can't afford a good keyboard" sound. I guess it came off more cheese then authentic.

Thanks for the input so, to redo or not to redo is what we haven't decided.
I just like the old studio fat tape sound, and like you especially for drums-!!

jim-

Don't mention it. It's a pleasure hearing music of this caliber here. I wouldn't redo except for that organ sound. Do you still have the master from that? Was that also on reel to reel?

You could have it baked then import it to digital and redo the tracks individually.

My dad just had an old master baked (he's an actual working musician). It came out sounding great.

JD

The organ track in Hark! could easily be redone, I have the master. As for the rest of the songs the master is long gone.

What is 'baked'?

regards

Back