Party Hardy Rock n Roll

fat_fleet

Swollen Member
Some of you might remember my epic tune Reflections In The Water from a few months back. Anyways it had this middle part that always meh'd me out when I listened to it....just kinda bland, relying on a cliche loud/soft dynamic with some distorted guitar feedback, yeah... whoopee. So about a month back I gutted it out and redid pretty much all the instruments, going for a more subdued intensity with oceans of guitar and enough backwards shit to scare the pants off Anton Lavey. I never posted it cuz I figured the 18+ minutes of the original had pretty much Reflection'd mosta you out, plus I made some arguably eccentric mix decisions. But I'm bored today, so here's the revamped middle, cropped so you can get in and out of here in about 5 minutes.

Enjoy if ya can.

:)

I like the eastern feel brought about by your scale usage, the piece you posted has that real horizontal kind of feel which reminds me of my mispent youth. Certainly some interesting sound textures achieved by the way you've arranged everything. Obviously I'm not listening to this in the context of the whole piece, so lyrically I was struggling a little to be pulled along by what's being said, I couldn't quite get a few of the words which probably didn't help, though it's probably a discovery kind of thing through intense listening, though at my time of life the ears aint what they were. Interesting piece, I found it a little light towards the bottom end and as I said, a few words escaped me but that might be me. Nice to see what others work on, thanks for the listen.

Tim

Reminded me of a slow down & more fuzzed Cosmic Rough Riders from their Dig The Melodic Sunshine era - there are snippets of blissed melody on your vocal.
Any chance of making a link available to the whole piece so I can listen again in context?
Mix wise I'd probably agree with Tim that it's light down under - other than that I like the vocal level/obliqueness and general mix.

I like the eastern feel brought about by your scale usage, the piece you posted has that real horizontal kind of feel which reminds me of my mispent youth. Certainly some interesting sound textures achieved by the way you've arranged everything. Obviously I'm not listening to this in the context of the whole piece, so lyrically I was struggling a little to be pulled along by what's being said, I couldn't quite get a few of the words which probably didn't help, though it's probably a discovery kind of thing through intense listening, though at my time of life the ears aint what they were. Interesting piece, I found it a little light towards the bottom end and as I said, a few words escaped me but that might be me. Nice to see what others work on, thanks for the listen.

Tim

Hey Tim....thanks for listening, and for the detailed, perhaps generous assessment. Like I said, I did most of this about a month ago. However before I bounced out this cropped version yesterday, I took a tube overdrive plug that had been bugging me off the vocals and didn't really listen to it too critically before throwing it up, but listening to it now I can hear that it messed up my vox levels a little. I didn't mean for the reverse reverb track to be so high....and I definitely agree with you about the low end. That's definitely on the humungo list of things I've still got to nail down with this one. When I posted the full version previously I got a few comments about it being light down there.... I just haven't really addressed it yet, though I've retracked all the drums and bass since.

Reminded me of a slow down & more fuzzed Cosmic Rough Riders from their Dig The Melodic Sunshine era - there are snippets of blissed melody on your vocal.
Any chance of making a link available to the whole piece so I can listen again in context?
Mix wise I'd probably agree with Tim that it's light down under - other than that I like the vocal level/obliqueness and general mix.

Hey Ray....you sent me Googling for Cosmic Rough Riders - never heard of them, and still haven't got a chance to check them out but noticed they were associated with Alan McGee of Creation Records fame. I'll put it on my list as I dug MBV and Teenage Fanclub. That was my generation! Here's a link to the full version, if you are such a glutton for punishment....be advised that it is ridiculously long. :) This has the tube overdrive plug that I just mentioned to Tim still on the vocals for that section-

Reflections In The Water[full]

Thanks guys!

Last edited:
This sounds pretty excellent fat fleet. You get such a warm analogue sound and this is no exception. Lots of great texture as always bud. Didn't find it a trawl.

On the Cosmic Rough Riders, I think they came around post-Creation on the next label Alan McGee set up (can't remember it's name now, but it had the like of The Hives on it too). The MBV era was Creation's golden time before McGee got all coked up and distracted for a few years thinking he was the best part of the label. As ever, Oasis have a lot to answer for...

Naturally I can't relate. But it does allow me to listen with a virgin ear and no preconceived notions of "this sounds like so-and-so", so to speak. Musically it sounds pretty good. A little fatter snare sound would be good I think, but what you have is snappy and present enough. The vocals are too spacey and trippy for me. The performance is fine, but the effects are too much, or maybe the style of effects is just right and the application doesn't work for me. I like the reverse reverb, but the big spacey effect seems too thick.

Whoa...trippy...again, your vocal style really reminds me of Jade Warrior, or some of the more recent Steve Hackett releases....love the backwards guitar texture....I listened to the link at the top of the thread...good stuff man, I dug it!

This sounds pretty excellent fat fleet. You get such a warm analogue sound and this is no exception. Lots of great texture as always bud. Didn't find it a trawl.

On the Cosmic Rough Riders, I think they came around post-Creation on the next label Alan McGee set up (can't remember it's name now, but it had the like of The Hives on it too). The MBV era was Creation's golden time before McGee got all coked up and distracted for a few years thinking he was the best part of the label. As ever, Oasis have a lot to answer for...

Hey Rob, thanks for checking it out! Interesting that it sounds analogue because it's definitely all digital....but, y'know, I use old tube amps and stuff, try not to use too much modern-sounding equipment, just cuz I like the sounds in older music. I actually saw MBV about 22 years ago :o.... it's one of my few bragging-rights shows cuz they didn't stick around that long and most likely didn't make it across the pond too much. At the time I was a little disappointed they couldn't reproduce all the layers and textures from the albums but now I'm just glad I went.

Naturally I can't relate. But it does allow me to listen with a virgin ear and no preconceived notions of "this sounds like so-and-so", so to speak. Musically it sounds pretty good. A little fatter snare sound would be good I think, but what you have is snappy and present enough. The vocals are too spacey and trippy for me. The performance is fine, but the effects are too much, or maybe the style of effects is just right and the application doesn't work for me. I like the reverse reverb, but the big spacey effect seems too thick.

Hey Greg! Yeah...this isn't very punk is it. :) Nice of ya to listen tho. Yeah....I don't know if you saw above, right before I posted it I took a tube od off the non-reverse reverb vocals so I lost an artificial gain boost. Of course I didn't check it or anything, so this mix is like the super-reverse-verb mix. I want to adjust it but I've just been crazy busy this week. Plus this damn song with the two other parts is like 60 tracks with plugs and my CPU just chokes on it. If I want to do anything with vocals, I've gotta bounce everything else to a stereo track, then mute it all and mix the vox against the stereo track. But I'll do it once I get a fricken minute to sit down.

Whoa...trippy...again, your vocal style really reminds me of Jade Warrior, or some of the more recent Steve Hackett releases....love the backwards guitar texture....I listened to the link at the top of the thread...good stuff man, I dug it!

Thanks queep! Ok, two Jade Warrior comparisons, I'm definitely gonna check em out later tonight....Looking forward to checkin out yours too!

:D

Attachments

• animated20fractal201024-1.gif
    animated20fractal201024-1.gif
    5.5 MB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Back