Part Two: road to tabriz

GONZO-X

song:Mas-Road To Tabriz

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=2302&alid=-1

or
http://tinyurl.com/yx5kqx

after so much trouble with the IAC site, i've given up on it.
It's on my Nowhere Radio Artist page, which allows downloads and streaming, of this 320kbps Mp3 file.

this is a brand new, completely re-worked version of this new instrumental, with a lot of reviewer-input used to re-mix and master.

i'm starting to work up my follow up album to the 'Trouble' project, and it will be a mix of instrumental and lyric-format songs.

any last suggestions on this one?

Hi, GONZO!

Excellent song/mix (as usual)

Two things that I think you could "take a look":
*Solo guitar(s) seems a bit loud ("or" general volume "or" something around 2khz, I tried a little cut and seems works well).

*A little more "kick" (mid,around 1k) on BD could help with the groove (nothing that is not working as It is, but, as I said, "take a look");)

Is the first time I´m listening your songs on aceptable monitoring , and not on pc speakers (I don´t have internet connection in my control room, tks for download option).

Ciro
www.soundclick.com/openstation

good stuff ciro!

last night, i went back and took a new swipe at it....
basically, a mild cut at 2khz does make it sit better.
i tried a bit of boost at 1k, but that actually brought out an element that i didn't like..
so i tried a mild cut at 400hz, and that was the ticket.
i like a fat kick...
and a lot of people do, and a lot don't.
it's tricky dialing in the low end... that's the hardest part for me.

Bass

I like the bass a lot better now, it's driving the song along without being obtrusive and enough bite that you can enjoy it on it's own or with the song, good job

steppingonmars
thanks man.
i dig that bass tone too.... it's just still not quite dialed in yet.

i've moved from the neck pickup, and making it bright and bitey, to the bridge pickup, and rolling high end off and boosting low, and adding drive.
i'm just on the fence about which way i like best, so every time i track, i experiment with a new sound.
still looking for 'my' sound.

well, i'm still on the fence about the opening section...

some folks think it's too intense, too busy, and in some ways, it is.

it was designed that way, but i'm not sure the 'design criteria' is necessarily all that good!
LOL again....

ok, a little background to the song arrangment, so you can get a bit of a visual...

the story:

someone i know, is Iranian (she says 'Persian'), and lives here in america, works here (came here by way of an australian college), pays taxes here, and is a scientist working on cutting edge nanotech stuff.

she is currently on her way to Iran, to visit family after her father passed away, and she couldn't attend the funeral, because of visa issues, homeland security, all that...
not to mention the stress of being considered 'an american' now, and going back to Iran, where the anti-american sentiment is at an all time high! (NOT)

so, the song embodies my idea of her trip...

the first part, is very hectic, because it just isn't coming together....
very stressful...

the middle part is getting there, and getting dialed into the place again, but not wanting to be involved in the religion and politics of the governing powers (her father had been a high ranking army official during the shah's regime).

the last part, is having to leave her homeland, possibly under duress, and come back to her home here... which is a fine home, her husband is waiting, but it's bittersweet to leave family that you cannot easily visit....

I downloaded the last version, I could´not see difference on the mix (at least frequency response).

But I prefer re - do my previous comment.I´m doing some mods here (the endless improvement :D),moving the monitors a bit, more REW measurements and added a ticker cloud (8") above.I don´t have exactly the same impression I had before (loud guitars), and the mix seems (both) yet better.Your job and playing is awesome.

The only suggestion I have is that I think you could have better feedback and less "bump" if you took some time and comment other friend´s songs.Sorry if I´m wrong.

Ciro

Last edited:
Back