Part 2 - "The Sky Is Falling (2005)"

Pinky

and The Brain...
Scott (oldest friend and former musical partner in crime) was in town last week visting from his new home in California. In the spirit of reviving some old forgotten songs we decided to track some vocals and last night I finished the music to one of our oldest original songs. This is our first recording together in 4+ years. His vocal abilities have improved a lot thanks to side work he does.

It’s called “The Sky Is Falling”. For the Queens of the Stone Age fans out there, who perform a song by the same name, we first recorded this song in 1994/1995… so if anyone’s the poser it’s them. Lol Lyrics haven’t really changed in a decade but the music certainly has. Not a perfect recording but certainly worth a listen. Feedback is always welcome. The original can be heard here. Scott did the vocals and as always I had to record the rest.

Enjoy!

http://www.the-boogiemen.com/The%20Boogiemen%20-%20The%20Sky%20Is%20Falling%20(2005).mp3

To download the mp3, right-click the link above and select “save as…” from the menu.

Kevin

Lyrics (by Scott Watts)

The sun chases the moon into the darkness
Fearful creatures run and they hide
They stop the hunt to take a rest
While they sleep their fears subside

The One dictates all they could ever ponder
He protects them from themselves
And their thoughts will never ever wander
They feel safe within his cell

The One says the sky is falling
And the One says the oceans are burning
And the One says we must serve him
And he will protect us

They are afraid at the flicker of a flame
And the monsters that hide within
They serve him just the same
And they are all afraid of him

They hide within their marble white houses
And feel safe with the picture box
They salute whatever is his
And fail to notice all the locks

And he will protect us

No more family and no more friends
Happy memories come to an end
Night has fallen and people are scared
Everywhere you go you must be aware

And he will protect us

Cool tune. It is somewhat like Queens Of The Stoneage, in the fact it is some stripped down rock. Sounds pretty well mixed. I like it. I like his voice. Tell him good job. Overall, song is cool. The only thing sticking out to me is the cymbal throughout some of the song. I think the closed hat. Seems a bit loud at times. Might just be me, but I hear it quite a bit. Just seems a bit loud.
Nice tune.
Ed

Dogman said:
The only thing sticking out to me is the cymbal throughout some of the song. I think the closed hat. Seems a bit loud at times. Might just be me, but I hear it quite a bit. Just seems a bit loud.
Nice tune.
Ed

I have several different stereos and headphones to test on (the most telling is actually my car stereo). This varies from stereo source to source. I'll probably not take the time to mix the hi-hat down unless someone else comes along and notes the same problem. During mixing if I lowered it any more it became lost in the mix, and of course any louder it seemed overpowering.

Thanks for the encouragement. Stylistically I was aiming for something between Live's "Throwing Copper" and that QOTSA edgey guitar (I'm a fan of their music). The mood is set pretty well thanks to those droning guitars and eery vocals. When this song was originally written Throwing Copper was being played alot in my dorm room. I'm still a fan of Live's work, though they've definitely gone more 'pop' of late than perhaps my tastes warrant.

I forgot to note that the "Part 2" in the title is in reference to several recently resurrected old songs I've posted here within the last 3 months. Scott liked how this came out and was asking if there was a way of doing this with him in California... I told him I'd send him instructions on using Cakewalk if he had a mic. We'll see, both our lives are rather full and finding time to do anything musical has been a challenge for the past month.

Pinky said:
I have several different stereos and headphones to test on (the most telling is actually my car stereo). This varies from stereo source to source. I'll probably not take the time to mix the hi-hat down unless someone else comes along and notes the same problem. During mixing if I lowered it any more it became lost in the mix, and of course any louder it seemed overpowering.

Thanks for the encouragement. Stylistically I was aiming for something between Live's "Throwing Copper" and that QOTSA edgey guitar (I'm a fan of their music). The mood is set pretty well thanks to those droning guitars and eery vocals. When this song was originally written Throwing Copper was being played alot in my dorm room. I'm still a fan of Live's work, though they've definitely gone more 'pop' of late than perhaps my tastes warrant.

I forgot to note that the "Part 2" in the title is in reference to several recently resurrected old songs I've posted here within the last 3 months. Scott liked how this came out and was asking if there was a way of doing this with him in California... I told him I'd send him instructions on using Cakewalk if he had a mic. We'll see, both our lives are rather full and finding time to do anything musical has been a challenge for the past month.
Cool tune, and like I said, the cymbal may just be me/my system, and definitely doesn't kill the tune. I like the mix of the influences it has.

Thanks for the tune.
Ed

Back