paper cup

heatmiser

mr. green christmas
Ok, my 2nd new tune this year...suddenly I'm all prolific and stuff??

This one is kind of strange I guess. Starts off slow and a little depressing, but does pick up steam as it goes along to some extent. At least it's shorter this time! Really simple tune, maybe too much so, but I think I threw some interesting sounds in there.

The mix is strange too. I just listened to some super clear, full mixes here and while I want this to sound a little rough around the edges, I worry that it just sounds rough.

Please let me know what you think. Even though it may not sound like it from my results, I remember everything you folks mention and take it into consideration every time I go back to the drawing board.

SoundClick artist: kingseesar - paper cup

2.16.12 mix with louder vocals:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=660667&songID=11443881

Yes, I realize that the blaring, bullhorn vocals are kind of obnoxious, but I think I'm ok with that...thanks.

Last edited:
That's bad ass dude. There isn't much advice I could give. It sounds great on my crappy little computer speakers and that's always a good sign :D

Yeah dood, I don't have anything either. Least not on my lappy. Sounds like everything is in it's place for the tune. I almost don't even want to listen in the studio cuz it will be redundant. Good stuff man! :D

The mid-EQ'ed vocals need to come up... Very covered up by everything else, and that makes them hard to decipher, especially when they're popping in and out with the wide-panned vocals.

Low mids (400HZ band) needs to be tamed in the overall mix a bit (mostly guitars and vocals).. 1-2 Q down about 4-5 Db is what I'd probably do.

Love the guitar "solo" in the middle and toward the end. Great use of the "wah"

I think the lows need to come up a bit, but I'm listening on crappy earbuds, so... Not 100% sure about that.

Overall, I think it represents the whole "heatmiser" franchise very well.

Thanks for sharing, Pete!

That's bad ass dude. There isn't much advice I could give. It sounds great on my crappy little computer speakers and that's always a good sign :D

Really? Thanks Phil. Maybe it only sounds good on crappy speakers though. Wouldn't that be a shame? Thanks for the reassurance.
Listening to your tune now and will try to comment soon...

Yeah dood, I don't have anything either. Least not on my lappy. Sounds like everything is in it's place for the tune. I almost don't even want to listen in the studio cuz it will be redundant. Good stuff man! :D

Looks like I've got the tiny speakers angle covered! Thank you for listening and letting me know it sounds ok.

The mid-EQ'ed vocals need to come up... Very covered up by everything else, and that makes them hard to decipher, especially when they're popping in and out with the wide-panned vocals.

Low mids (400HZ band) needs to be tamed in the overall mix a bit (mostly guitars and vocals).. 1-2 Q down about 4-5 Db is what I'd probably do.

Love the guitar "solo" in the middle and toward the end. Great use of the "wah"

I think the lows need to come up a bit, but I'm listening on crappy earbuds, so... Not 100% sure about that.

Overall, I think it represents the whole "heatmiser" franchise very well.

Thanks for sharing, Pete!

Thanks for the specifics PI. Yeah, the bullhorn vocal track is fine in the intro and outro I think, and while I rode the fader boosting it some as the tune progressed, I may not have done it enough...by the 3rd verse they are kind lost in there. I can make it all out, but then again I know the lyrics, so I probably fill in the blanks myself.

I'll check out the low mids. I did cut more in that area than normal on this tune for most of the guitar and vocal tracks, but maybe some additional surgery is in order.

Thanks again!

excellent heat, has your usual style about it but theres an almost old time swing about...Id agree with PI, the bullhorn vocals could come up a bit...nice solo

the mix seems clear and clean, has a warm analog sound about it this one...but its the sloppy chug to it that I like the most, it washes along like waves

enjoyed this as much as I enjoy all your songs...perhaps its you that needs to be getting an album together :)

Ok, listened in the studio. Still sounds great. A few little notes;

I had to check to make sure my sub was on. Almost nothing under 80hz. Seems a bit of movement here would really help it to push through.

The bullhorn thing, I don't know if it needs more volume, but needs something. This might be one of the rare occasions that I would actually try copying the track, delay one 10ms, and pan. I think the effect might bring it into the song better. It just sits a bit sterile as it is, though that could be what you are after.

Either way, love the tune, even if left as it is. Has a vintage kinda vibe, without sounding vintage. I almost hear the clicks of an old vinyl record in my head while listening.

Props to the heat!

the guitars sound great, but i think they need to be turned down, and the vox just a bit up.

and i'm usually a person that buries vox, but these are p buried.

tones are pretty great. a little too much snap for me for the snare, but it sounds nice. great electric tone and acoustic tone.

everything is seperated really well. you did some good work. the bg vox could come up some too, but you may have to eq them some, i can't tell at this volume.

all in all, nice mix.

Pete, you're spoiling us at the moment! This has got all the usual elements that make up your sound like great textures, but with a little more of a raw, vintage edge than usual (no bad thing).

+1 more for turning up the telephone vocal part. The only other thing I picked up was that I kept waiting for a drum break or fill thay never came. maybe in the bars just before the wah guitar comes in - I dunno, obviously it's your tune, but that's just what I heard in my head that would lift the song a little. Other than that great- I like the misdirection in the last verse leading you towards "make me cry" as the last line, then singing "smile" instead.

I'm a little worried about you in the photo accompanying the tune though man, you look a little vitamin d deficient. Maybe it's an after effect of your recent hibernation...

Damn great tune, Pete!
I found the vocals just a tad too low, but otherwise, a great mix. Love the laid-back but dirty feel of it. And I totally dig the bull-horn vocals.;)
Very original sounding stuff!

excellent heat, has your usual style about it but theres an almost old time swing about...Id agree with PI, the bullhorn vocals could come up a bit...nice solo

the mix seems clear and clean, has a warm analog sound about it this one...but its the sloppy chug to it that I like the most, it washes along like waves

enjoyed this as much as I enjoy all your songs...perhaps its you that needs to be getting an album together :)

Ha! No albums forthcoming I'm afraid, but thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed it Keith. It is a little sloppy, and that's with me covering up some of the sloppiness with the way I mixed it...I'm trying something with louder vocals, and while it does indeed make them more audible, there is also a cringe-factor to be considered...thanks again, uh, mate...chap?

Ok, listened in the studio. Still sounds great. A few little notes;

I had to check to make sure my sub was on. Almost nothing under 80hz. Seems a bit of movement here would really help it to push through.

The bullhorn thing, I don't know if it needs more volume, but needs something. This might be one of the rare occasions that I would actually try copying the track, delay one 10ms, and pan. I think the effect might bring it into the song better. It just sits a bit sterile as it is, though that could be what you are after.

Either way, love the tune, even if left as it is. Has a vintage kinda vibe, without sounding vintage. I almost hear the clicks of an old vinyl record in my head while listening.

Props to the heat!

Thanks for giving it another listen jimmy. I'm really glad you think the tune itself is ok. I wasn't sure how it'd translate to any other listeners. I'm experimenting with the lead vocal part and while I can't bring myself to do the cut/past/shift thing, I did raise the level of the delay that is only faintly present on this mix and that does give it a little more space...maybe I'll be able to get a better mix together. Thanks again!

Dude - I'm sold. Awesome track. Love it.

Yay! Thank you.

the guitars sound great, but i think they need to be turned down, and the vox just a bit up.

and i'm usually a person that buries vox, but these are p buried.

tones are pretty great. a little too much snap for me for the snare, but it sounds nice. great electric tone and acoustic tone.

everything is seperated really well. you did some good work. the bg vox could come up some too, but you may have to eq them some, i can't tell at this volume.

all in all, nice mix.

Thank you cp! I think you're hearing this one much the same as I am. I think the fuzzy electric guitars in particular get kind of overbearing towards the end. There's so much guitar layering going on there that probably some have to come down.

Yeah, the snare is kind of lite and snappy isn't it? Not exactly what I was going for, but close. I tried out darkening it a bit last night by EQing some of the highs out of the room mic track (that seems to lend a lot of brightness to the snare). Not sure yet if that works.

Thanks again! At work now, but plan to check out your song soon.

Pete, you're spoiling us at the moment! This has got all the usual elements that make up your sound like great textures, but with a little more of a raw, vintage edge than usual (no bad thing).

+1 more for turning up the telephone vocal part. The only other thing I picked up was that I kept waiting for a drum break or fill thay never came. maybe in the bars just before the wah guitar comes in - I dunno, obviously it's your tune, but that's just what I heard in my head that would lift the song a little. Other than that great- I like the misdirection in the last verse leading you towards "make me cry" as the last line, then singing "smile" instead.

I'm a little worried about you in the photo accompanying the tune though man, you look a little vitamin d deficient. Maybe it's an after effect of your recent hibernation...

Hey rob! Thanks for the good word. Yes, I need to put on some weight I guess following my winter fasting.

Of course you're right about the drums. I played it super safe here and am really still new enough at this that any drum track where the sound is ok and I don't completely mess up the timing has to be considered a win. I can only execute simple snare fills at this point and they didn't exactly fit here.

There's just a kick, snare and HHs on this...no fills, no crash, no toms. The toms aren't even set up right now! So, I'm not going to redo the drums on this even though I totally agree there should be at least some fills there. Maybe next tune I'll get up the guts to play a more elaborate part. Thanks again!

LOL! My sub input connections were unplugged. Forget the sub thing I mentioned. :o

Phew! I actually thought maybe it was a little too rumbly down there, so I was surprised by your prior comment.

ive got no useful notes. just wanted to say i love this.

Awesome! - thanks Jake.

Damn great tune, Pete!
I found the vocals just a tad too low, but otherwise, a great mix. Love the laid-back but dirty feel of it. And I totally dig the bull-horn vocals.;)
Very original sounding stuff!

Joey's back!! I see you got to hear the monsters remix...pretty cool, huh?

Thanks for listening to this. I hesitated to even post it as it seemed maybe too slow and boring for general consumption. You guys are pretty tolerant though!

I did some work last night based on everyone's feedback and I think I have a mix that is clearer with more easily understood lyrics, but somehow it all sounds so polite now...not sure if it fits. So hard to go back and tweak just one or two things without reinventing the wheel...I may have a remix soon. Thanks again!

eh, its actually one of your best Pete...its got a weird mix of influences that really works

Nice track heat... as always...

I got nothing that hasn't been mentioned already. Wouldn't be shy about turning the vocals up later either... know what you mean about the cringe factor, but really, there's nothing there to cringe about...

I swear I heard a rocking chair on the porch there in the start... :D

(Actually just acoustic guitar noises, but it could have been a rocking chair on the porch)

Nice...

Back