Panning drums with one Line In

ziplock43

I don't have firewire.

I probably won't in the near future.

I have a Behringer Eurotrack Mixer (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-Eurorack-UBB1002-10Input-Mixer?sku=631257).

Should I use the monosend then use a converter (I think it's a 1/4th to 1/8th, i'm not sure though. . . Whatever turns the guitar cable into something acceptable for a standard Line-In) to go to my Line In? I dont want all of my drums to be ramming up the middle. If I panned everything on my mixer from L to R, would the Mono Send into the Line-In work?

The only reason I ask is because I can't try it out for myself -- I'm away from home for a while and can't record shit. I'm just wondering.

If this doesnt work, what could I do? Do I have to go firewire to get panned drums?

Thanks.

You can't get panning with one mono track. Everything will be on one plane. You'll need at least 2 inputs into your soundcard or whatever. I used to record my drums with a mixer similar to that, but I had a 2 input USB interface. I'd run everything into the mixer, pan to taste in the mixer, and then run everything from the mixers L & R outputs into the 2 inputs of the interface. From there you can record one stereo track or a L & R mono track which is essentially the same thing. You're not gonna be able to do that with one mono track.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think so.

You have a couple of choices depending what outputs and inputs you use.

First you need to take a stereo line out of the mixer. I see you have tape out and main out. Both are a stereo output so they would contain panning info.
So let's say you pick one of those outputs....

1) Greg's suggestion of a USB port into your computer. You would need one of these INSTANT MUSIC RCA to USB converters (or something similar). You would send from the tape outs to the RCA ins on the converter then a USB cable from the converter to the USB port on your computer. You can use the main outs instead, you just need to change from 1/4" to RCA to go into the converter.

2) Line In to your computer should be stereo input. Send the tape outs into a RCA to 1/8" stereo converter, then into the line in on your computer. Or send the main outs to a 1/4" to 1/8" stereo converter then into your line in.

Make sure you check your recording level on your Volume Control-Properties to ensure that line input or USB input is turned up so you will get a good signal.

Attachments

• RDX-150_REARp.jpg
    RDX-150_REARp.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 25
  • c00061266.jpg
    c00061266.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 25
There is no panning whatsuever with one channel.
However, most standart line ins in sound cards are stereo. You just need a wire from 2 mono connectors (either rca, xlr, or plug, depends on your mixer) from one stereo miniplug connector.
As you see, mono plug connectors (like the ones for guitars/bass) have 2 parts, the tip and the sleeve (you can tell the different parts becouse they are usually separated by plastic). The sleeve is always the ground, and through the tip the signal is sent. That is for mono connectors, stereo connectors have the tip, a small ring, and the sleeve. Same as the mono, but in the ring, you send yet another signal (channel number 2).

You can buy 2 Plug mono connectors, and a miniplug stereo connector and you can do it yourself.

Connect both sleeves from the mono plug cables (the one you connect in your mixers' main out) to the sleeve in the miniplug (the one that goes to your pc) And then connect one of the tips of the plug to the tip on the miniplug, and the other tip from the other plug, to the ring on the miniplug.
Connect any of the mono connectors to the ring or the tip, doesn't really matter. but if you are getting the stereo image backwards, just change the mono plugs (left for right, and right for left), or if you already recorded it, you can change the panning in your pc.

Hope I was helpful. :)

Edit: I don't know about your model, but mine (xenyx 2442fx) has stereo phones outputs. If yours has that it's even easier, you just transform a stereo 1/4" connector into a stereo 1/8" connector. You can also check out this Behringer USB interface, it's cheap as hell, it came free with my 2442 and for the price, it seems great.

Back