overly down / dark acoustic song

gbav

Hey again, one of the first songs i've felt unsure about positing (and considering some of the stuff ive put up thats saying something). It's a pretty personal acoustic song. Ive pretty much spent a good portion of the day mixing it, looking for some advice on how to make it better.

songs : Dreams are Dying

up at:
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=412087&songID=3757433

All comments welcome of course. I'll be around reviewing stuff as well, sorry if ive been slacking off on that a lately had some personal stuff come up.

Take care

gary

Gary, I think this is pretty cool. It's well layered. There is quite a bit of sound happening, and it's very good sound. Seems to all mesh together well. I love the vibe. It's dark, and ominous. Not a downer, but haunting.
I've got no tips for ya man, as this is good sounding. Well put together from beginning to end.

On a side note, do you have any vocal tips for me? These sit well, and sound damn good. Recording and mixing tips would be cool man.... :D
Ed

Awesome man, cool you posted this, I've liked everything I've heard from you so far :D

Very very haunting feel. The 3:00 section is really cool. Excellent piano sound! In fact, I can hear some cool spooky piano lines running behind the vocals of the earlier verses too sounding really cool and adding to the song.

Again I like the songwriting, it has a buidling progressive feel to it.

Mix sounds excellent to me too, no nitpicks from me ;)
Enjoyed it!

Ooooo...love the dark feel of this and the beat is cool ...

The buzz in the intro I could live without, but nice effect.

I like the prominent beat of the Kick bass and how it takes the song right into its shadowy feel. It has a good tone, like a Taiko drum. Mick Fleetwood has that tone on his Kick Bass. He is one of my favorite drummers for that dark driving, phat beat.

The Acoustic has a nice crisp sound to it.

Nice emotional vox. I may sound nuts, but I immediately thought of Alice Cooper. :eek: Hey, that is a compliment, but I am a 70s child and mildy bwain damaged, so I may be off a bit here!!

The back-up vocals bring a light into the mix, without taking away the dark quality of it. In fact, they seem to enhance it.

The piano is well done.

I am curious as to what it would sound like with some lead in there around 2:40 with the vox, and build up with it...?

Great song man! I've listened 8xs..make that 9 now!

TRUE :)

Dogman - Thanks alot i'm glad you dug it. Vocal tips i'm not sure i have anything helpful. It was all plug-ins on this one. Eq first (real aggresive in taking out the highs), compressor (like 5 to 1, quick attack, slow release), desser, reverb then at the end i put a multiband compressor to try soften any new frequencies I didn't like. Hope thats some help. Thanks again man.

Snakedog - Thanks for listening, actually had alot of issues with the piano. Kept having to dumb it down to make it fit.

true-eurt - Thanks alot for listening. Not offended at all by the Alice Cooper reference at all, im a fan for sure. I think im totally going to try that lead idea, just have to practice up a bit as my chops aren't exactly up to par heheh

Back