Overall opinion? (slightly Britpop electronic lo-fi stuff)

Mistur Purfekt

Hey, what's up?! I finished a CD of tunes and I've got some MP3 bites and 1 complete songfile up on my site.

Please let me know what you guys think. You all seem pretty honest, and my friends all either say they like it (well, they're friends after all...) or else they call it "experimental" (polite speak for "it sucks rancid chili dogs? LOL)

Just click on the LISTEN album cover square to get to the song file page.

Thanks again!

David Paskey
a.k.a. PASSKEY

The link is: http://www.passkeymusic.com

PS: Please, no replies of "I like it" or "it's experimental"! LOL

I listened to Fan Fiction.

Electro is not my genre, but I'll give a review a try... The synths sounded cool. I liked the sounds of them. Some cool panning with them. Cool instrumental bridge. The synth on the left side during that section is real nice sounding.

However the synths are covering the vocals. They're very tough to hear. Tons of effects on those vocals (delay, echo, and/or verb). Maybe that's part of the genre, but it seems like a bit much.

Decent musically. Lyrically I thought it was tough to follow. Seemed more like a bunch of lines that rhymed.

Some buzzing going on during the quieter times (amplifier I think). I'm assuming that was intentional, but just in case I thought I'd mention it.

There's a small pop at :50 on the word "Are."

The "bah bah bah da bah's" at 2:46 on the right kind of jumped out. Maybe pull em back a bit. Or EQ out some mids.

My thoughts.

Thanks!

Now, THAT'S the kind of stuff I'm looking for!

I agree with all of what you said. I'm already working on some new songs where I'm keeping the vocals nice and dry, maybe a little slapback (but not too Elvis-y).

I had some serious mixing trouble going on with Fan Fic, I recorded that earlier this year. I've already learned more about recording since then. I think I also had just bought a compressor around that time, and you know how gear can be overused when it's new... :) Reason number one why I won't allow myself to buy a vocoder. LOL

LOL I love how everyone refers to the sounds as synths. I think only one of the instruments on that track is a synth, the rest guitars! It's my own little way of trying to "freak out the squares!" LOL j/k

Thanks very much for the insight, Triple M. It is a big help.

David

Fan Fiction:

Interesting panning of the snare roll there... left to right... To be honest... the synths sound flat... like a color picture that's been left outside to fade a while.

Good news! Your voice is cool... sounds like clinic resident Jamal Buchet's... except you don't stretch up into the nad-ache high notes like him ;)

The song sounds groovy enough... the sounds are all kind of furry and undefined... and they come together and everything gets... more "furry" (or as others may term "muddy"... muddy is actually a term used to describe lack of low-end definition)

You've panned things and mixed things creatively... and probably adequately. The $1M question is... what to do about how you TRACK.

More good news. These boards are a wealth of information. If you can get everything tracked CLEANER... the mix will be cleaner by default. I'd concentrate some time experimenting with tracking techniques (different microphones, micing positions, new cables, better converters :)) and try to perfect the _tracking_ phase (it's where you begin your mix, after all...) Seems like the quickest path to improvement for you.

Good luck

BTW: Listened to "Julia"... more good musical ideas that would benefit from improved tracking. Maybe PM "Jamal Buchet" and ask him how he improved his tracking... at one point just a few months ago, his tracks had about the same level of "smear/dirt/fuzz" as yours :D

Chad

Thanks Chad

Just checking...was your whole critique of the Julia song? Or did you listen to whole Fan Fiction track?

I will try out some new techniques with tracking. About the only thing I track with mics is vocals. I have a little practice amp that I may try to record with guitars and bass tho (the amp and DI mixing thing). I only recently discovered that I was recording some things too tinny, and then I would EQ again at mixdown! (D'OH! -Homer) And then I would wonder why my tracks sounded lifeless and flat! LOL

Thanks for the voice compliment! I'm trying some new things on some new songs I'm working on. I will have to let you and TM know when I post them so I can get more great feedback (just hopefully not in the mics! LOL)

Take care and thanks again Chad!
David

Back