Over 40 Blues--"Produced" version

Excellent Crawdad!I cant complain about a thing.This is a great mix and Im digging all of the intrumentation additions!

Is that a real steel guitar?Man this sounds great.

I would buy this if it was on Country radio.

What a great song.....I only wish I just had the over 40 blues. Unfortunately, there's a few more years than that. :(

This is, of course, a more complete song now.....the strings are cool and I like the arrangement.....the steel is a nice touch....wouldn't mind hearing more of that. You write some of the best lyrics of anyone I've ever heard. Two thumbs up!!!

Okay, 96 % of it downloaded on the old dialup, just waiting.... tum tee dum...

Okay, here it is. Yup sounds like Randy Newman might start singing... nope! It's Crawdad! Yeah, that's sweet. Really like the way you do that bass. You know, it's funny, it sounds to me like you redid everything - it sounds like a completely new take. Damn.

Look, you get a certain amount of overenthusiastic, perhaps well-meant bullshit in this forum, but I mean this thing I'm saying here: this one's *up there*. Get this one to the attention of the right persons, and *a lot* of people are going to be able to enjoy this music. Everything's in place, everything fits, everything sounds real good.

A privilege having something this good to aim for, sir. Cheers. :)

Nice production. Really liked the steel guitar sounds. Didn't like the piano much. Thought it was kinda anoying in places. Nice strings. Good build on the bridge. The build in front of the tag fooled me. Made me think you were going to loop through the bridge again instead of just taggin it.

Great song that should make you a lot of money. I would like it better if I hadn't heard your first version.

Good stuff crawdad! It's sorta like the "land-lubber's" version of the "Old Salt - Jimmy Buffett's" version of "A Pirate Looks at Forty", which is a good thing, 'cause I like that one too. Nice and easy to listen to... ...just a great listen.

Thanx!

Tom.

hey Crawdad,
I didnt offer any suggestions in your "be the producer" thread, but it was a great read. ...great idea too. Kinda opens up the possibilities for ideas that you might not come up with on your own.
Very Very nice tune man, as is the norm w/ a Crawdaddy tune. Great songwriting first, followed by a great recording. The strings in this were a nice touch. .....and the vocals.... mmm mmm mmmm... just great man. What mic this time?

Excellent tunage man..... Another fantastic addition to my Crawdad collection... ....thanks for that.

G w/ a BIG 5

Yeah I loved this one. Real nice sounds. Great production. Nice instrument selections, especially the piano. I like your voice.

There were a couple of spots where the vocal got quiet (mostly at the end of phrases). But nothing to complain about.

I though this was very well written. The only songwriting thing I'd bring up is the hook line. It's obviously not a blues song. And people seem to have "the blues" about a million things it seems. I wonder if there's a better hook line somewhere?

OK I'm done nitpicking now. Real nice Crawdad.

Damn that was AWSOME! I can't believe how awsome that is.. That sounds so damn professional..

Ok here come the questions!!!!

What did you use for the sticks and the kick drums?
How long did you spend tracking and mixing this song?

crawdad I have to say this is prolly the best thing I have ever heard on this site... To anyone who listens to my songs they know they are heavy rock.. I would drop everything to do this kind of stuff. I am not qualified to get that sound that good that perfect.. WOW!

You should get together with Vern Gosdin! This is too damn good dude..

Congrats...

Awsome!
You really nailed it with this one.
everything was played and produced very well.
Kinda country/pop --- which is very nice to listen to :) A great pleasure to listen to such a stellar performance!

....I played this in the shop this morning without saying anything and everybody stopped loading trucks to listen. That is most definitely a good thing. ....Wont do it again though ...you cost me money:D

.....just excellent man

Wow. You homewreckers really make me feel good! Much humble thanks to you all for listening...and for the help.

Kramer--yeah, thats my pedal steel. I'm actually a very shitty pedal steel player, but thanks to punch ins and DAW's, I can eventually get something to work!

Lt. Bob--Well, I try to hide or burn my bad lyrics! Wait until we start writing one together--you'll see!

Dobro--its a whole new take, yeah. If I never get another compliment, I can live off what you said for a long time. That was very nice of you.

kjam22--I'm working on getting a better sounding piano, which might inspire me to play better. I know what you mean about the first one, too. I think its all what you get used to hearing first.

fmmahoganyrush--Hey, thats a neat comparison. Never thought of that! I guess if Jimmy could get away with it, maybe I can too!

Smokepole--"yer still a young whippersnapper!" :D

Geurnica--That last thing about playing it in the shop was like the coolest thing I ever heard! So they stopped working? Sorry I cost you money!:D Now, if I did some yodeling, I bet they'd be all too eager to get back to work! The mic was the V93 into the DMP3 this time. I thought it worked pretty well--close to what I was looking for. I did a LOT of mic technique while singing, moving in and out for loud and soft parts.

TripleM--Thanks, man. I'll check those phrases too. Title? Ah, there've been a bunch of titles with the word blues in 'em that weren't blue songs. Smugglers Blues, for instance! :D

Powderfinger--thanks. I worked on the mix a long time. Then I finally decided it was time to start working on some new stuff!

scottboyher--Man, I used to dig ol' Vern! "Chiseled In Stone" was an awesome tune! Anyway, the drums are from the Battery Studio drums disk. This particular kit is a jazz kit, which I chose for its more round and muted tones. I don't know how long I spent on this altogether. I did it in sections. The steel stuff took a whole day cause I'm so bad at it! Guitar and bass went pretty quickly. Oh yeah. For the acoustic, I used an Oktava 012 pointed toward the bridge. The mic went into a DMP3 pre.

JMarcomb--I prize comments like these, especially coming from you cause you are one awesome artist!

Thanks again everyone!

Crawdad I just wanted to add that you made what seemed impossible to me seem possible...
I gave up trying to do this kind of stuff years ago because it seemed so far out there.. But you did it...

This song is very inspiring.. Man thanks for sharing this with us... You have planned my weekend for me...

When are you going to release a CD? :D

Good song.

Enjoyed this song crawdad....I wouldn't be a bit surprised to hear it on any Hit Country station. I guess that would be my criticism, it sounds too much like stuff on contemporary country radio, and I don't have much of a taste for the style. But I think the song is good and you're a good singer, the production, vocal style, etc...again, all sounds very radio-quality to me. Though the song itself is better than the average country tune you hear these days. I only listened once and I've still got the hook in my head. I think I might go listen to the original version...I have a feeling I would like it better.....I usually prefer minimal production to over-production.

Tucci

Great Song!! Are those drum samples? If they are they a are really good, especially the toms which sounded very fat and warm? If they are samples where did you get them?

Once again great song,
Beezoboy

Cool songwriting.

Goods:

-Pro-grade songwriting.
-Great emotion
-Great arrangement
-Lyrics (It's a fight I'm bound to lose someday... *sigh* :))
-Captivating performance, and song
-Cool lap steel

Crits:

-Some vocal bobbles... unusual from you :D ("These days" I'm sleepin longer, etc...)
-Don't like the piano sound (preference)
-Mix is missing low end... though there's a bass in there

Always enjoy hearing your stuff, because it's a constant reminder that great home recordings are possible... even if it's impossible to write half-as-good as you do :)

CrawDAD... what a great name for the father of the clinic... well... we kinda have two dads... Lt. Bob-dad as well :D

Never leave the clinic, Al; escape is impossible

Chad

sounds near perfect to me.. wasn't crazy about the piano sound, but everything sounds sweet within the tune.. this is a great song! I think it should be on the radio.

Back