'The Outsider'

Jyemz

Hi folks, here's my first offering for crits and comments, it's a prog-ish instrumental with drums by Preston Richardson, everything else by myself.

The Outsider by Jyemz | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Guitars were DI-d from my Fender Mustang amp into Focusrite 2i4, bass is Sonar Studio Instruments Bass played on keyboard, synths were mostly Rapture Session. All recorded and mixed with Sonar Professional.

Sounds great-Nice tones on everything, nice solo tone and clean rhythm sounds. The progression at first reminded me of jean-luc-ponty, but once you started adding changes it had a sound of its own. Drums sound great-not sure if you recorded them but nice job-not easy to get such a tight recorded drum sound. Mix overall sounds excellent-i wouldn't have guessed that the bass was done on keys, do you not have a bass guitar?? Nice piece overall-great playing and great mix, nice work!

Hey, thanks very much! I don't have a bass, I usually collaborate with a bassist in California but I couldn't quite explain feel I wanted for this track so I banged it out on the keys. Preston the drummer recorded the drums in his studio and sent me a stereo mix, he gets a great sound.

On headphones the only minor nit I've got is the wide panned toms sound slightly unnatural. Otherwise the drums sound great. Good choice of guitar tones and I like the groove. It's all mixed and balanced real well. Nice jam

The distorted guitar on the left sounded OK. Sounded a bit amp-simy. But not bad. Most of the guitar licks sounded good on that side.

I liked bass sound. When it's playing long-drawn-out-drone-y notes it gets a little muddy.

The synth that comes in at :28 is pretty loud. Also maybe notch out a cut in the mid-2K's.

The mix gets a little heavy on the left side. Nothing to balance out the lead guitar that's on the left.

I like the drums a lot. Snare might be slightly dull. Maybe a 5K boost? And nudge up the volume.

Thanks, some good tips there, will try those out. Re: left side heavy; my hearing is weak on that side so I tend to over-compensate, so that comment doesn't surprise me

Back