(Out of) Control - new tune

Hi ... listened to this on headphones... and really liked it. The playing is first rate and the composition has a nice groove. The rhythm guitar has a great sound - was it recorded through a mic from an amp? I think the bass is ok, although its low in the mix and has little high end. For this song I think that's ok - the emphasis is on the lead guitar and making the bass prominent conflict. But.... if you wanted the bass more up front, I'd swap volume for tone, and make the bass sound brighter.

- J Masek

hey mcmd gret grove got a nice jazzy feel to it the bass sound decent and as jm mention the guitar is prominet it sound a lil too high for the rythm section but i was listen thru studio montior verses the head phones

Thanks for giving it a listen.....

J Masek
- The rhythm guitar is a strat (neck PU) into a smaller Mesa Boogie (DC-3). I mic'ed it with an SM57 and an AT3035 LCM. The 57 was on axis about a foot away and the AT was about 3 feet away off axis. I mixed them to taste - no real phasing issues.

The lead guitar is a PRS into a maxon OD - same amp and mike configuration - mixed more towards the ambient AT mike. Mic's panned about 10% LR.

I am learning that a little room ambient mic changes my sound considerably and a closed mic'ed speaker with a 57 stuffed up the cone is turning out to be a bad way to go for me! Close mic'ing a speaker can sound very gritty and harsh - a lesson that I have learned way too late.

The bass is DI'ed into a sansamp and it always sounds a bit too boomy. On a rare occasion I can get a good bass sound 'on tape', but I can never reproduce it ... I tracked the bass after the rhythm guitar, - so it is abit sloppy. I usually get better results (timing) tracking bass first.

skew_roxz
- I am glad the you liked it - yes, the mix could use some more leveling.

/mcmd

Back