Original song - "Traffic"

famous beagle

This is my second mix on this one, and I'd love some additional ears on it. Kind of a tale of desperation I suppose.

Any comments are welcome.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Traffic - mix 2 mp3.mp3
    4.6 MB · Views: 50
When all the instruments come in did you change the EQ on the acoustic, or just reduce the volume on it? It becomes indistinct until the first break point, but then at the end it's not loud enough (neither is the vocal at that point). At the beginning it sounds a little thin, but perhaps if you scoop the EQ on it when everything else is playing, but get it fuller when it's the only instrument? Volume alone might do it.
I think the crash cymbals (particularly the one on the right) are a little loud. Overall I like the song, think it just needs a little tweaking on levels.

Cool song, but could be more catchy - can't put my hand on how. Some of the vocals sound out of tune - maybe try a Tuning plugin. Mix balance is quite good! No really criticisms to give.

You nailed the acoustic guitar recording - sounds really good. How did you do it?

When all the instruments come in did you change the EQ on the acoustic, or just reduce the volume on it? It becomes indistinct until the first break point, but then at the end it's not loud enough (neither is the vocal at that point). At the beginning it sounds a little thin, but perhaps if you scoop the EQ on it when everything else is playing, but get it fuller when it's the only instrument? Volume alone might do it.
I think the crash cymbals (particularly the one on the right) are a little loud. Overall I like the song, think it just needs a little tweaking on levels.

Thanks for the listen and detailed feedback! I didn't change the acoustic level or EQ, but I've since gone back and adjusted it. And I agree with you on the cymbals; I didn't notice that before. Good points! :)

Cool song, but could be more catchy - can't put my hand on how. Some of the vocals sound out of tune - maybe try a Tuning plugin. Mix balance is quite good! No really criticisms to give.

You nailed the acoustic guitar recording - sounds really good. How did you do it?

Thanks! Yeah I redid a few vocal lines since this mix; maybe they were the ones that were bothering you too. I prefer to use tuning plugins as an absolute last resort, because they don't help me become a better singer. And I really don't care for that super-polished, obviously tuned sound, but I don't think that's what you were really talking about.

The acoustic was an Alvarez RF26 folk model, and I miked it with a Sterling Audio ST55 (SDC) about 8 inches away aimed at the neck/body joint. I went through a Seventh Circle Audio N72 preamp (Neve clone), and I think I used a Waves CLA-2A compressor plug on it as well.

---------- Update ----------

I had a go at mastering this one! really liked the song a lot, here you go: View attachment 92720

Hey, nice job! Thanks a lot -- sounds really good! :)

This isn't the kind of thing I'd really listen to, but I have to recognize it as a really good song, musically and lyrically. Nice voice, too. I also hate traffic... the song speaks to me in that regard. I must hate it more than you, though, because I'd need a lot more profanity and louder, faster music to aurally paint a picture of my hatred of traffic.

This isn't the kind of thing I'd really listen to, but I have to recognize it as a really good song, musically and lyrically. Nice voice, too. I also hate traffic... the song speaks to me in that regard. I must hate it more than you, though, because I'd need a lot more profanity and louder, faster music to aurally paint a picture of my hatred of traffic.

Ha! Thanks for the listen and the kind words nonetheless. If you decide to write your anti-traffic song, let me know! :)

Nice tune beagledude... well put together, lots going on. I like the vocal.

I don't really have any mix thoughts - it's all hanging together pretty nicely from where I'm sitting. Well realised and executed as far as I'm concerned. One of the best tunes I've heard here in a while.

Well done.:thumbs up:

Nice tune beagledude... well put together, lots going on. I like the vocal.

I don't really have any mix thoughts - it's all hanging together pretty nicely from where I'm sitting. Well realised and executed as far as I'm concerned. One of the best tunes I've heard here in a while.

Well done.:thumbs up:

Thanks much! I checked out your stuff and really dig "Time Is on My Mind." Nice tune! :)

Lotta nice subtle chord changes in here. Kinda Beatley..Very good song. I might suggest soloing the vox with the LC guitar and EQing more definition in the frequencies between the two. Tom rolls sound a little "programmed". Maybe give the snare a tweak up in the upper mid range and add a little ambiance to it. The bass is lovely. Punchy. Nice. Lower the level and add a little chorusing. (very little) Maybe divide the Backing vox to both stereo channels?

Great job.

Cool song.....only nit I have is the fill guitar that comes in with a couple lines/riffs around 1:30 could use some automation on the effects (less), & a little volume IMO...

Pretty cool song though, I hate traffic too, the last job I had was a hell of a drive, & if just the least little thing happened, I had to drive like a maniac to make it on time....I feel your pain...lol...

If you really wanted to shine this up, maybe double the vocals in the chorus, pan 'em out & maybe add some light delays (different on each one)??? Just a suggestion, & other than the fill guitar @ 1:30 or so, this sounds pretty good...

bmwerx: Thanks! The Beatles were certainly an influence. :) By "LC" guitar, I'm assuming you mean "left-center," which I assume is the acoustic? Thanks for the tips; I'll give 'em a shot when I revisit this one.

minerman: Yeah on the fill guitar I just left the same settings as it was on the intro, but that was mostly out of laziness. Maybe I should tame it a bit during the second verse. This song is actually about 15 years old, and I've worked from home since then (with the exception of three years, but I lived two blocks from the office). So I actually haven't had to deal with traffic on a daily basis for a long time. Nevertheless, it was quite easy to tap into that previous mindset when doing the vocal. :) Thanks for the tips as well!

Listened the other night. Listened today. Still don't have much to offer. Just checking in.

Okay, one thing. Sometimes the vocal gets masked by a guitar note, like at 2.50 - the last note of that lovely guitar part masks 'still'. Maybe at 1.14 too. Oh okay, one more impression - when I listen to the vocal as juxtaposed to the drums/bass, the vocal seems slightly small/thin compared to that big healthy drum/bass sound. Maybe add some body to the vocal? Maybe turn it up?

Really good stuff.

Listened the other night. Listened today. Still don't have much to offer. Just checking in.

Okay, one thing. Sometimes the vocal gets masked by a guitar note, like at 2.50 - the last note of that lovely guitar part masks 'still'. Maybe at 1.14 too. Oh okay, one more impression - when I listen to the vocal as juxtaposed to the drums/bass, the vocal seems slightly small/thin compared to that big healthy drum/bass sound. Maybe add some body to the vocal? Maybe turn it up?

Really good stuff.

Thanks a lot. I agree with you that the vocal is a little thinner than I'd like it to be. That's definitely something I'm going to tinker with when I come back to it. Good call about the end of the solo masking the vocal too.

Back