Original song recorded with MSH-1's

nukeitout

I like the new mics :). This was recorded about 4 feet away from a matched pair of msh-1's that were about 4 feet apart. The stereo tracks were then run through a limiter. They're dry otherwise.

I think I like the wet version better but its only 20 seconds lol. The dry version is kinda bland and needs another instrument to add to the production the song is good though.

DAS19 said:
I think I like the wet version better but its only 20 seconds lol. The dry version is kinda bland and needs another instrument to add to the production the song is good though.

Thanks! I was thinking about adding another guitar track.. maybe some accents with my 12 string and fills with my classical... We'll see. i gotta get some rest for now...

I liked the dry better. The whole thing sounds a little muddy, like the mics are too far away or something :confused:

Link doesn't work for me.

Edit: Nevermind, works now. I agree that there's too much room sound. The dry version sounds much better than the other one.

Try getting like 8 inches away from the mic, that should help and still give some ambience/room sound without it being overwhelming.

Have to agree with everybody else. Sounds like the mics pick up pretty good though. I'd move them in to at least two feet and give it another go. Then maybe add just a touch of 'verb.

I like the tune...
Sounds like what's been stated...maybe get closer to the mics to get a bit clearer tone. Nice job so far though....

Thanks guys! I was about 4 feet away from them playing acoustic and singing. I guess I should separate the vocal and guitar and just record them individually so i can get closer to the mics. it would be hard to get that close while trying to capture both vocals and guitar. They were pretty far apart when I recorded (same distance apart than they were away from me). I'll try a couple things with it later tonight when I get home. I've also heard some people record with three mics, the two for stereo and one LDC for presence. Anyone have any luck with that?

cmhansen said:
Have to agree with everybody else. Sounds like the mics pick up pretty good though. I'd move them in to at least two feet and give it another go. Then maybe add just a touch of 'verb.

That sounds like a good idea. Most people record with the mics closer, and the human ears are only about 8" apart... I'll mess around with some different positionings and see if I can get it to sound more natural.

Thanks.

I like your song. The take is good.
If I were you I would definitely split everything to different tracks.
Then you can add different amounts of reverb to the vocal and the guitar.
You should add one or two guitars (Or even better add acoustic bass line) and make arrangement which doesn't have to be complicated.

Back