Original song The Prodigal son

Mr Blues

Here is a orignal song I recorded on my Tascam DP-008 . I wrote this song around 12 years ago.
Its a folky gospel slighty jazzy ballad.

I used a SE Electronics Icis valve mic straight into Tascam.
I transferred the files through Wav onto my computor and used Reaper and Auadcity to mix and T Racks 3 (Standered version)
Hope you enjoy.

I will have a myspace up and running soon.
Dave

Attachments

• Prodigal (AuadacityProdicalsonauadwarmtapesat_TrackS.mp3
    3.1 MB · Views: 55
There's some background noise/hiss that's audible before the sog starts & sits in the background there after. It should be easy enough to remove.
Here's some Robert Wyatt in you high notes & phrasing.
Sometimes the reverb (I think) uncomfortably hits the edges.
The sizzle & noise that occurs when you hit a strong not like on LOVE - is it distortion in the original tracking or too hot in the mix?
Nice playing, good singing & pretty good but for those few things I mentioned.
I just clicked - this reminds me of Wyatt's version of Shipbuilding.
Now, if the narrative was as poignant as that song you'd have a captive audience of lefties though the story you have addressed has it's own special audience I know.

Nice song, well played and well sung. I like the way the harmony vocals blend. The thing to me that could be better is that it sounds like there's a fair amount of clipping happening. Hopefully that's in the the mixing/rendering/conversion and not in the tracking. Sorry to state the obvious if you already know, but levels must be managed at every step in the process. I used to record on tape, which s**ked by comparison in most every respect except that it was more forgiving of high levels here and there. I've learned from other folks here that with digital recording you literally don't ever want to see that peak light come on.

J

Thanks for your constructive advice rayc and jjjttggg. I appriciate it as I am still learning on mixing skills. As you can hear I have a long way to go but I am glad you liked the melody and stuff.
I use reaper software .
I also as stated use T Racks , maybe it was the T Racks setting , I had it set to warm tape satutation.
Is it best to record everything a bit lower on Reaper. I would love to learn how to avoid the clipping and distortion as I tend to make that mistake often when I record.
I normally set the files in Reaper to -12db or slightly above.

I will keep experimenting until I get it right and please keep the feedback and advice up as I could do with all the advice at this stage.
Dave

You are going for a very personal approach, which is difficult, and I think you almost nail it. The vocal has too much reverb and the guitar has too little reverb/space for what I think you are aiming at.

Hi Tobe

Thanks fo your tips too.
I was using IK multimedia's CSR Classic reverb software, I used the Inverse reverb setting.

The only problem with CSR is that its a stereo reverb so I have to use it accross the whole mix.

I may go back to using Reaper's own reverb and that way you can set ammounts of verbs for each channel.
I do have lexicon MX300 hardware unit but when I try and load the software CD for some reason it won't work on my computor or with Reaper.
The CD is meant to work together with the hardware unit.

Dave

All respect Mr Blues, but you are in control of your reverb, your reverb doesn't control you.

Maybe I should experiment a bit more with the reverb , I was told by IK Multimedia that the CSR reverb would only work accross the whole mix in strereo so I believed him. LOL
I feel a fool. lol
As I said I have very little knowledge when it comes to computor editing and mixing. I normally with live mixer and speakers when I am performing.
Dave

"You took my rinds and you gave me life" LOL! I love that, that hilarious, I have never heard anybody put the pig food rinds into a song...

very creative, and nicely delivered, I would love to hear this retracked on some nicer hardware, I would do it for you in my humble studio but it looks like you are a good ways away from New Orleans ;)

....rinds :D

Hi last days

Its interesting you should hear rinds as I sung rags but one thing I never knew was that rinds is another name for pig food. A great observation you made. (maybe i should change it to rinds)lol

Great to meet a fellow musician.

I am still having problems mixing it , i will send an update , tell me if it has improved if not I will re record it (maybe a bit away from the mics)

Anyway here's the update.
Tobe I have added a bit more verb on the guitar, ( your right the CSR works fine, what I did was bounced the guitar as a stereo file and then laid seperate verb on the guitar) I also changed my T Racks preset to 15LPS Tape Sat rather then the warm tape sat preset which does booast the whole thing a bit more ( maybe a bit to much in my mix.lol
Dave
Lastday
I would love to send you the raw file to see what you can do with it.
Dave

Attachments

• Prodigal updated.mp3
    3.1 MB · Views: 18
Where things clip will be dependant on the prog you are using & the measurement/metering system it uses.
The big point is that you need to leave room - tape is a lttle more forgiving - particularly if adding FX after tracking.
Read your documentation but -12 or BELOW is a good start. Just where this is on your meters in the issue & that has to be your peak not average.
the rework is good - not as much obvious clipping - still hear lots of very cool Wyatt references.
Try downloading & using Glaceverb - it's free & VERY good.

This sounds way better! Like it a lot. Vocals could be a touch closer sounding/less 'verby for my taste anyway (or maybe just a few dB louder?), but fixing the levels thing has made this a very nice listen.

J

Thanks jjJtttggg.
I apriciate your input and everyone else's .

I have learned so much interacting with you all.
I was thinking of getting the focusrite liquid mix and running some files through that.
Has anyone here ever tried the liquid mix or is it very similar to T Racks. Are they very similar in there emulations?
Just wondered.

Dave

Hi Rayc
I have tried Glaceverb once and windows wouldn't recognise the file, I will try again later.
Thanks for the tip.
I will also check out this Robert Wyatt guy you mentioned.
Cheers
Dave

Rayc
I remember Robert Wyatt now I have seen him on youtube, he was the guy who sang a great version of I'm a Believer. I love him singing 'Shipbuilding'. A beuatiful beautiful song and I love his voice. Thank you its a compliment to be likend to him a bit.
Dave

very nice, mr blues. I see improvement, but I also would like the vocals to come up just a touch, or guitar down a touch if the level is a problem.

Just a touch now... ;)

BTW, you seem to be doing a VERY nice job of mixing it yourself, not that I would mind... of course if I did it, it would lose that whole "sweet simplicity" thing as I would probably dump an orchestra on its head, I really dont think thats what it needs. :D

Thanks last day.
Its all a learning process but I now will aim to get my mixes in a reasonble level where it does'nt clip.

I will be rerecording some of my old songs and will let you all have a listen.

I want to start songwriting again.

Sometimes you try and try and it just don't come out right.

Hopefully i will get inspired agian. I find songs come when I am not trying to hard.

Its been great to hear other musicians on this forum, really good songs I am enjoying.

dave

I feel you on that one dave. But I really like your stuff and look forward to hearing more of it.

Pray about the songs, you have a source of inspiration that not all musicians have ;)

Last mix
I have raised the vocal slightly and I thought I try a different verb the Glaceverb that rayc mentioned.
Your right rayc it is a nice reverb.

How is this mix folks?

Attachments

• The prodigal son (Mix three).mp3
    3.1 MB · Views: 10
Back