Original song - "Just Gettin' By"

minerman

Tonetard
Hey guys/gals,
I was gonna wait to post any of these songs I'm working on until I've got 'em all done, but, phuck it, here goes...

This is the first song I've finished using my new gear (amps, cabs, mics), plus I've had some help with lots of other things from a couple/few forum members too (thanks guys!!!), so I'm pretty curious to hear what you guys here think...

Just Gettin' By

Just Gettin' By 2

Last edited:
Love the drum sound, love the guitar sound, love the bass sound.

Small drum timing issue @ 1.06?

I'm listening on headphones, but this is pretty good.

Kickass guitar tone, intro sounds awesome. Like the song... always pleased to hear some rock and roll on here. Personally, I'd lower the snare volume a smidgen. I think. My speakers suck, but the snare seems to stand out a little too much to me. And it's my personal preference to have the vocal buried a little more and the guitar more prominent, but most people seem to like the balance more like you have it here.

What is this new gear?

I didn't hear any issues with this mix. I didn't think the snare was out of place here. Good and balanced.

Nice tune!

Love the drum sound, love the guitar sound, love the bass sound.

Small drum timing issue @ 1.06?

I'm listening on headphones, but this is pretty good.
I agree with this post in its' entirety, except for the headphone part. I'm listening on my studio speakers and it sounds AWESOME. Seriously, one of the best things I've heard here in a long time. I hear the same drum stutter at 1:06. Other than that, just great.

1:06 sounds like a trip in the middle of doubles to me. Man, that is some killer guitar tone! :) :D :listeningmusic:
Just one nit. The hats in the beginning are just a tad too quiet. They pick up @ :16 though so :cool:
I'm hearing a little 180-200 build up in parts (wherever the bass is on E, mainly) Could just be the one note on the bass, could just be my ears or my monitors since no one else is hearing it...
Two of your "wire"s really jumps out (2:53 & 3:06)
Awesome vocal, outstanding double solo on the end...hardly ever hear fades any more. I really like them.

Great rock tones, minerman! What's the story with the drums? Are they samples or real? I'm listening to this on headphones, and although everything has a great sound and the balance is pretty good, I do feel that the left-hand guitar could come up a hair. Also, the kit seems a little lop-sided in the stereo image, leaning over to the right (unless it's just my imagination). These are tiny nits, though. Overall the song kicks butt. :)

Ok guys, gonna bump this basically to thank all who've listened/commented & to let you guys know this is still a WIP, & will be addressing some of my flubs...other than my vocals...I know they suck, but hey, I do the best I can....:facepalm:.

dobro: Thanks man, the drum issue can (and eventually will) be fixed, I just left it there for now because I'm pretty lazy...:).thanks again!!!

NotThatBright: Thanks, I always seem to get the drums too loud in my mixes, & tried very hard to make this song an exception...The new gear really isn't new now, some of it I've had for almost a year, but my life has been a rollercoaster since last spring, I know it's basically an excuse, but things were pretty rough for a while...The "new" gear is:
Marshall DSL100H
Marshall 1960A (4 - different speakers...lol...Greenback, '65, V30, & G12H)
Ceriatone Chupacabra 50w
Bogner Ecstasy Red pedal
Sennheiser e609 & 280HD 'phones

DM60
: Thanks for the listen & comments dude...

RAMI: Thanks man, I know I should've fixed that little drum quirk, & I will eventually...I really appreciate ya man!!!

BroKen_H: Thanks!!! It's kinda weird/funny you mention the hi-hats, as I'd thought about automating that part (just the intro), but didn't....guess I was just hung up on the rest of the mix...

You're probably right about the build-up on the bass, although I've got it notched to hell & back, it's probably still rearing it's ugly head...My room is only half-treated, so I really can't trust it fully (& won't be able to do anything about it for a while...)...

On the "wire" vocal part, I initially had that automated down a little, but don't remember if I left it or not....I'll have to check on that...Thanks for the kind words....

Bubba: Thank you kindly Bubba....on the drums, what do you think they are man, seriously??? The stereo image seemed fine to me, but, I've heard this song so many times now, it's imprinted into my brain....lol...Lemme know what you think about the drums Bubba...Thanks again!!!!

Yeah great sounding guitars. Drums sound great too. Heck the vocal does too.

Read the comment about the hats being low in the intro. I felt the same way. And I also noticed the rhythm glitch at 1:06.

The bass sounds cool enough. Certainly clear - great definition between notes. Something about it tho.... It's rumbly or something. Just too strong in the low end. Can't exactly put my finger on it.

I'd double track the vocal if it were me.

Maybe just add a little high EQ on the bass. All sounds pretty good. I'm not a fan of wide-panned toms, and the floor tom sounds like it's way-over to the right, I'd just bring the width in a bit, but its a personal thing.

Miner - the day finally came! Sounds great, man. I thought the vocals would be much worse, based on your comments in the tone thread. There's a few little spots I'd retrack, but they sound great overall and I'd only redo them to match the quality of the rest of it. You can play some good guitar!

Great guitar tone. It's really got a nice low end and a great growl.
Good bass tone as well, nice and mid-rangey.

I'd bring in the panning on the drums.

Jonny: Thanks man!!! I still think my vocals are terrible man, but they are what they are...thanks again dude!!!

Schwarz: Thanks dude, after years of fighting my guitar tones, I'm finally in a place that I'm pretty happy...Thanks again Schwarz!!!

Ok guys, thanks for the suggestions/nits, especially on the drum flub @ 1:06, I've went & changed a few things, maybe it'll sound a little better to you, maybe not...Updated the original post with a new link....the first version is still there too if anyone's interested...

The changes I made are:
Fixed the fill @ 1:06
Automated the hi-hat's volume up in the intro just a tad
Brought the panning of the whole drum kit in just a little...
Automated my terrible vocals @ 2:53 & 3:00
Did a slight cut in the bass' low end, & raised the high end just a smidge...

Since Bubba's not gonna answer (he might not have even saw my question I asked him), & I'm sure most of you guys know, I'm just gonna say it....The drums on this are Superior Drummer, with a Steven Slate kick & snare blended in....I did play most of it on an e-kit, but I also edited the midi, because I'm not a drummer at all...So, you guys can go ahead & throw rocks at me if you wanna.....:D.

The bass is recorded straight into my interface with Amplitube 3 & a shit-load of processing too....

Vocals were recorded with a Behringer C1 condenser mic plugged straight into my interface using plug-ins...

But, to redeem myself somewhat, the guitars you hear on this are real amps, I used a Ceriatone Chupacabra 50w head, 4x12 cab (Celestion G12-65 re-issue on most of the tracks), with a '57 & e609...

Thanks again guys, I really appreciate your help & suggestions!!!!

I like it. I'd like to take this opportunity to thank RAMI and Greg and Schwarzy and NotThatBright for getting me into music like this.

Nice rocker. Okay, gotta go make some music. Thanks for the tune.

So, Rami, Dobro, did the timing fix I did work???

Yeah, it's better than the first one, for sure. But I'm gonna get all candid on you now. In this whole tune, the drums are the weakest part. They could be tighter. This is a really good tune, and I really enjoyed it. (Yeah, it's rock. :D) The reason I'm noticing the drum work is cuz I'm getting into percussion myself these days and I'm finding that the timing attitude I have when I play guitar isn't good enough when I play percussion. I gotta be even tighter. Yeah, you can sign off on this one, cuz it's great. Wanna be greater on the next one? Tight drums. Okay, you can hate me. I'm everybody's favorite jerk it seems. But if I was you - I mean literally, if I was you and I was coming up with stuff like this tune you've done - I'd be targeting the drums as the next best thing to improve. I would take drugs in order to get the drumming tighter. I would even STOP taking drugs to get the drumming tighter. You know what I mean?

Yeah, it's better than the first one, for sure.
OK, cool, thanks man....I let Rami hear this a few days ago, & he suggested it then, but I'm a lazy fucker so I didn't do anything about it....:D.

But I'm gonna get all candid on you now. In this whole tune, the drums are the weakest part. They could be tighter. This is a really good tune, and I really enjoyed it. (Yeah, it's rock. :D) The reason I'm noticing the drum work is cuz I'm getting into percussion myself these days and I'm finding that the timing attitude I have when I play guitar isn't good enough when I play percussion. I gotta be even tighter. Yeah, you can sign off on this one, cuz it's great. Wanna be greater on the next one? Tight drums. Okay, you can hate me. I'm everybody's favorite jerk it seems. But if I was you - I mean literally, if I was you and I was coming up with stuff like this tune you've done - I'd be targeting the drums as the next best thing to improve. I would take drugs in order to get the drumming tighter. I would even STOP taking drugs to get the drumming tighter. You know what I mean?
Well dude, that's cool & all, I appreciate everything everybody's said/suggested/etc, but how to you suggest I make my drums tighter???? I'm not Rami or Greg you know.....:).

Dobro, you drinking tonight?

What I'm doing old buddy is listening to commercial stuff at the same time that I'm listening to stuff in this forum. There doesn't seem to be an easy way to say 'this isn't quite as good as commercial, but it's really good for this forum' in a way that doesn't get on people's tits. I haven't found a way to tell people that yet and not piss somebody off. But with about a third, maybe a quarter of the stuff that gets posted here, that's essentially what I want to tell people. 'This is good and it's really interesting, but it ain't pro yet.' Maybe I'm outta line for doing that, but I see it as a way to elicit the best from people. I guess there are *many* different reasons for being here, right? But I'm trying to coax myself to get honest and really put it on the line. I see no reason to expect anything less from anybody else.

Back