Original music - give it a listen please!

Lead guitar sounds thin. Needs some mids for a meatier tone, to better go along with the mood of the song. And you seem to have a good voice -- like me, you have to push it out more. It sounds reserved. A good scream, as someone told me, is useful.

Good effort!~

G

The singer is horrible. The whole mix is kinda muddy and soft, nothing really hits at all. Is that a boss drum machine?

The singer sounds like he is reading off a sheet and not communicating the feel at all.

My voice isn't cut out for this music really, just isn't strong enough. I had one version where I did a tougher, more rock style of singing, but my voice is too weak for it.

Other than that, my biggest problem right now is monitoring. I use headphones, mainly - good headphones, but headphones nonetheless. Then I'll run it through a PA, but it doesn't have enough bass. So I burn it to CD and take it to my car where I have a sub and a good system, and kinda do trial and error a few times. I need some good studio monitors.

All of this was recorded in an apartment, so I had to use sampled drums (a midi track in Sonar). I programmed in every beat myself, not a drum machine. Also, living in an apartment I feel reserved with my voice for obvious reasons. I am nervous about people upstairs, because when I do scream on some parts I know they can hear it :)

The gear used was:
-POD XT Live (my first recording using this, and if you listen to other songs on my site you can see how much better the sound is with the POD)
-M-Audio Delta 1010
-ESP M300 Guitar w/ custom EMG active pickups
-Sennheiser 835 mic
-Software

Last edited:
Thanks for the realistic feedback, as usual Jake :) I redid the vocals (check the link), and I still don't like them, but they do sound "meaner" I guess. I'll still redo it some more probably, but really I have a hard time getting force behind my voice if I'm not screaming, which is why I usually don't do hard rock songs. The screaming parts are fine, but forcefully singing in the mid-range notes is hard for me without sounding silly. Maybe I should have written the song higher so I could scream more.

Enough has been said about vocal performance. One thing I would deffinately work on, would be to loosen the solo section up a bit. It is litterally on the beat, I know it is a real guitar, but when you play that tight it almost sounds sequenced. The second solo section/outro is much better/looser Nice tones though.

Thanks Flamin. The "on beat" sound of the lead in the intro is actually what I was going for. It makes me think of music from an 80's action movie, or an old video game or something. I kinda like it :)

I finally got my wireless server to work in the studio so this is the first tune I've listened to through my monitors.

At first listen I was going to say that the drums seemed a little buried in the mix, no sheen, no pop, but then I noticed the same thing about the rest of the mix. Not dull, just expected more high end, could be the new listening environment.

Everything seems well balanced as far as levels are concerned.

Good straight ahead rock and roll.

Yeah, thats how everything I record turns out, because I just don't have a good monitoring solution right now. Hopefully I can EQ everything better when I get some good monitors. Thanks for the good feedback!

I redid a lot of EQ on it, especially the drums. There is a good possibilty I overcompensated, though, and now the kick drum (and possibly the cymbals) may be too loud. Let me know.

The guitar solo is a little off key...(Flat) and there is no vibrato on the notes.
They just kind of hang there at the end of a phrase.

Give it some shake or whammy...and make sure your in tune.

Other than that, the production is not that bad.

Have some talent.

Keep jammin'.....

Back