Original Instrumental Song - Monotonous

JohnH.

Hello all!

I have made a song on FL Studio called Monotonous. I would like some general feedback on how the composition itself sounds and how the mix and master sounds. Thank you very much. I hope you all enjoy it.

Attachments

• 05 Monotonous.mp3
    6.9 MB · Views: 29
It all sounds pretty good, but can I ask, were there any real sounds on it? You know, things being hit, plucked, strummed or blown with a microphone stuck in front of them?

I think the low sound that comes in starting at 0:23 is too distortion-y, it comes back around 2:40. There's a note that comes about 1:52 that is off-pitch to the rest of the sounds. The 'crash cymbal' that ends it pretty fake and harsh.
What's the purpose of this tune? This type of thing strikes me like it would be for a soundtrack for something, but not something a person would 'listen to' as a music choice (but what do I know?)

I always have trouble reviewing canned sounds. It's more a critique of sound selection rather than sound recording. I'm master of the obvious.

Anyway, I thought this was cool enough. I liked when it kicked in at the 1 minute mark.

The composition is fine, the execution is fine. There was a good musical palette, and it all sat together pretty well. I might have preferred some of the synth sounds to be a bit more contemporary, but overall, a great job.

Hey,
This is kinda cool.
I totally agree about the soundtrack thing. Apparently it's 80s TV soundtrack week in the clinic.

Around 1:00 I'd be inclined to run with the main powerful theme and lose or reduce the distracting (IMO) theme on the right.
I'd bring down the jabbed keys too. I think they stick out.

That main theme at 1:00 is pretty strong and I'm hearing that solid pendulum sound in there, but things are getting in the way.

Actually the more I listen there are lots of parts that thunder in where I'd want to be a little more subtle about it.
Maybe that's just me.

Regardless, all the sounds themselves are pretty cool.
I don't see why it matters if anything was acoustically recorded. It's clearly some kind of electronic genre.

Thanks for sharing. :)

Thank you all for the comments.

There is no real instruments playing as of this moment. The drums are placeholder. They will eventually be replaced by overdubs. However, this song is a fusion of electronic rock. I am also planning to add a guitar solo. Now that I think about it, it might replace the keys on the right. I will reexamine my mix to check out all of your suggestions. The soundtrack idea sounds cool too! :)

I have some quotes I would like to comment on:
I'd bring down the jabbed keys too. I think they stick out.
Can you explain the time stamp where they are most noticeable?

Actually the more I listen there are lots of parts that thunder in where I'd want to be a little more subtle about it.
This too...

sounds good, but I feel the whole sound could use a bit more low end to it for added fullness and depth.
As is, I don't get that "deeply seated" feeling as I listen.

Can you explain the time stamp where they are most noticeable?

Listening again now,
At 1:00 the solid main line comes in, but the three note motif in the right is distracting to me.
It might be too loud, but it might just be a balance thing because it's quite far out to the right.

Keys @ 1:12 stand out to me too. I think it's mostly because they're repetitive and consistent.
If they did something more interesting they might not take my attention so much but, as it is, they're a distraction.

Hey, this is all personal opinion. You might think it's just fine.

Thank you all for the comments. I will experiment with different suggestions and will come up with a new mix later this month. Stay tuned and thank you for your patience.

Overall I think it's really nice. Nothing stuck out to me as lacking or out of place really. Interesting composition. The only thing I didn't really care for was the ending; it just seemed to come out of left field with no rhyme or reason. Other than that, it was cool. Nice job! :)

Back