Orchestral w/ vocals - First time mixing vocals...

mkeihl

Hello,

Would appreciate some feedback on my mix. This is not complete by any means. This is my first attempt at mixing vocals. The takes used in this version are not the ones that will be used in the final version. I just recorded my girlfriend for practicing mixing vocals. I just looked shallowly over volume levels for the whole song, probably needs to be louder, but will not master on my own.

Vocals in the song don't start until 2:40 min.

This is my Work in Progress version of "The Creation of Soul" which I would like feedback on:
Creation (W.I.P.) by El Miguel | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Would like to make something that sounds similar to this:
Cinderella Trailer Music ("Aeon" by Nick Murray) - YouTube Aeon by Nick Murray.

All feedback is welcome, might be a lot to do on this tune, still...

The background sound in the opening comes across as just low end noise. It needs to be cleaner, crisper. If you listen to your example, see how clean that background sound is. Don't be afraid to let that kick drum sound be BIG! Bring up your basses and Cello's. EQ the backing tracks just a bit to carve a niche for the vocals to fall into. There is a lot of overlapping tones that get just a little muddy. It doesn't take much, but a little drop in the vocal ranges of the instruments will make a huge difference. The bass drum hits in the slow section might be bigger with less sustain. They will have more impact as a hit and fade than a continuous rumble.

The background sound in the opening comes across as just low end noise. It needs to be cleaner, crisper. If you listen to your example, see how clean that background sound is. Don't be afraid to let that kick drum sound be BIG! Bring up your basses and Cello's. EQ the backing tracks just a bit to carve a niche for the vocals to fall into. There is a lot of overlapping tones that get just a little muddy. It doesn't take much, but a little drop in the vocal ranges of the instruments will make a huge difference. The bass drum hits in the slow section might be bigger with less sustain. They will have more impact as a hit and fade than a continuous rumble.

Ah, thanks for the input. Tried to do some adjustments based on your feedback.

Creation (W.I.P.) by El Miguel | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Back