Opinons on the_snake..

theblackBay

Mean average best idiot..
I'd like to get some opinions on this song called "The_snake"

any negative opinion or anything you would like to add, i will accept the always relevant and ever useful: "it sucks cause lol!".

but i would also like opinions on production value and/or anyhting else that would come to mind.

thank you if you listen

http://www.theblackbay.com/abstract.php

Hey Black,

I'd like to comment on this since you've taken the time to give some pretty in-depth comments on my tunes, which I really appreciate.

But, I'm so un-familiar with what things are supposed to sound like in this genre, my opinion would be worthless.

I love the guitar riff and guitar sound, for sure.

Great energy in this song, indeed... Lots of variety.

I agree with David... it's a little muddy right in the center.

Great job!!

~Shawn

Sounds good! I'm not really a listener of this kind of music, but it seems to me that the vocals are high in the mix. With screaming and metal and such, it just seems like the vocals would be a little more buried to bring up the band and make the mix seem louder.

thank you for the replys

Indeed the center issue, this was an older song that was "adapted" but that center mudiness was driven from a fear, and that fear was the fear of an overproduced guitar sound, such as may be typically heard in some pop songs or say Heavier songs.

I now always err on the side of mud, rather than harsh.. wonders if there is something he can do to the bass for this?

not sure what to make of the "and screaming and metal" did you mean the Vox appear harsh to you? if so i would be interested to know that?

bascially, can you turn this up and listen, without the VOx being harsh?

the compressed nature of the Song is a mix issue, you may notice it is not present in the verse?

thank you again.

Listening on bookshelf speakers I'm afraid.
After the intro this has an early New Order vibe with sinister overtones.
I get the textural changes between the uber compressed, centralised and the more open sections. You've used some quite widely panned clues to more obviously indicate the changes.
The groove that you do get going is really good particularly just prior to the end - I really think you ought to give that a chance to grow just a little more - I enjoyed the perverse trunkation of it but it's a good groove - if this were an album that section could/would be a whole song. Ah, yeah, this piece is ambitious & seems to want to make the progress of 45 min in 3.
Good work so far, I enjoyed it!
I think the wax chap may have listened to the escape.

Last edited:
thanks ray

yeah as said i have "uniform continuiation" problem but maybe this is more due to my own writing state, rather than anything i could fix other than with "Social Re-education."

thank you, oh now it's so much clearer with the "screaming and metal" i thought he may have been commenting on the dist on the VOx.

This is highly entertaining. I don't really listen to anything along these lines normally, but i love the fact that there are so many dynamic changes. There are a lot of seemingly divergent elements that you manage to bring together nicely - like the retro two-note guitar part over the hyper, modern-sounding drum section.

Love the distorted drum break about 2/3rds of the way through. Very ambitious as ray said, but i think you more or less pull it off in a very condensed package. Nice.

Sounds like Beck meets NIN. Not my style, but this is pretty good. I'd like a little tighter bottom end, but thats just me.

Thanks guys

all these comments help alot, RayC when you say "grow a little more" do you refer to say.. arrangment , or say, the sonic nature of the Guitar? Honestly i was about ready to walk away from this one, let it be a part of my history.

a learning experience.

but..

"come to think i have, just like you, conversations just like yours, come to think i.... have just like you........."

?

Fix or walk?

Sounds like Beck meets NIN. Not my style, but this is pretty good. I'd like a little tighter bottom end, but thats just me.

funny that , NIN was one of my reasons for even undertaking recording, and beck another, i would actually like to see a photo of Nin meeting Beck. thank you Greg, you mean Bass don't you ...please don't make me open that file again i hate that file.

what you listening on?

i'm seeing a trend here there is a bass issue. to fix or walk?

Please Vote .....

Fix or Walk.

Fix:

I go back look at the file get depressed wreck the song and delete it, possibly or fix the Bass issue and the "mono" dynamic in the corus ...or

Walk:

away , and think oh well it's essentially as good a song as it's going to be and we all have to come From somewhere to GO to someplace.

please vote.

funny that , NIN was one of my reasons for even undertaking recording, and beck another, i would actually like to see a photo of Nin meeting Beck. thank you Greg, you mean Bass don't you ...please don't make me open that file again i hate that file.

what you listening on?

i'm seeing a trend here there is a bass issue. to fix or walk?
I'm listening on KRK RP8's.

Yeah, there's a slight hint of mud in the low end, but it's not too bad. You could fix it or leave it. I'm really just nitpicking. It's not a huge problem.

nice, I'm listening on headphones but I don't find anything to criticize.
I also agree with the Beck/NIN mashup sound.
good mix, and cool music.
C.

It's a well damn hypnotical thing! The one you're not really sure you like it at first, then you keep on listening more and more.
The global cloak of darkness hid hats a little bit? Voice could also be a little brighter... redundant mid-lows are confusing here and there.

Last edited:
with one eye on my hat

"The global cloak of darkness hid hats..."

great name for a song or album!

thank you for the comments, yes the ever redundant mid lows i think it's the bass.

I’m walking on this one, i kept the Vox low and underground as a defence against the global cloak of darkness (as they call themselves these days.)

keeping one eye on my hat while eating lunch in future.

thank you for the visualisation.

most of my peices grow on people to a point were they hit a critical mass of like or dislike or get topical cream.

yeah, kind of hypnotic. Good song and good vocal. The verb smears things too much IMO and reduces the expressive effect.

oh

Btw i went back had a good look at the center issue , it was the bass it look sas though i was starting to do the thing that i should have done and somehow got distracted as it looked half done, anyhow it was Low mids harmonics also so good spotting guys and thank you.

there is an improvment, when put 1 on 1 so thanks again.

Omg

Thnak you guys on a second look i could see that the Kik was doubled up ! it had all this sub 70 Hz that was causing well "a global force of darkness" , probably up the harmonic scale the bass was multiplying these the 1351 "mastering" system was correcting some of it but thank you again as it's sounding much more balanced, i swear in this game you learn something new everyday.

today it was : get more sleep and actually look at the tracks you are mixing.

thnx.
it's finished now.

Back