opinions please

SilentSound

hey.. last time i posted these songs, i didn't realize that our webmaster reconverted them after i uploaded them to our server for him.

I now have very high quality(190Kbs)in addition to the lower quality from before. The songs are "burgundy" and "Under the Sun"

let me know what you think.. they're meant to sound cohesive as they're being sent out soon as a college radio promo.

www.gertiefox.com/audio.shtml

thanks!

matt

NICE WORK!!

Whoa - these slipped off the first page without a listen. Nice tunes!! And I have to respond to a fellow Pennsylvanian (I'm originally from Gettysburg.) Cool tunes and overall nice sound!

Under The Sun- (headphone listen because my computer speakers suck) - This is quite wide and, at first blush, I'd like something to bring the left and right into the same arena. Maybe just make the vocal a little more prominent. (On the speakers it's not as distracting to me). Other than that this is pretty darned tight. Bass is good for my ears and EQ is varied for lots of sonic interest. The drummer's holding things together with some nice grooveology. Lots of cool sonic effects during the intro. The development is what I like the most about this tune - good arranging/writing. And as the tune develops into the more meaty sections, that 'wideness' works so I guess you can disregard what I said earlier!! I don't listen to lyrics until the hundredth or so listen so I don't know exactly what the tune is about but overall I like this tune quite a bit. There should be some other folks out here with a ton more experience that can pinpoint some other areas. To me this is really a cool tune!!

Burgundy - If you're doing an album I wouldn't put these two tunes next to each other - same key, close-to-the-same tempo and the melody is around the same place so I had to double-check to see if I had actually changed tunes. The mix seems to be exactly the same to me - not a bad thing at all!! But to me the vocals need to play a more prominent role. Once this tune dvelops the differences between the two are dramatic - and again the development is excellent - the writer/arranger has a good grip. I tip my hat! I forgot to mention the harmonies on both tunes are well done!!

Overall these are both really nice pieces of work and craftmanship. I have no major complaints about anything - but keep in mind my skill level meter isn't pegged just yet!! Nice recording, good mixing, and super-nice writing!! Thanks for sharing!!
~Milan

I'm pretty new here, but I've been listening to music for a long time. Both tunes sounded good. Both songs gave me a chilled
out feeling.

The mix sounds much better than what I can do. The only thing that stood out as off to me were the drums on "under the sun". At first I thought that might be what you were going for, but the more the song went on...well, it seemed like the drums didn't mix well. Almost like the rest of the band recorded in the studio, but the drums were recorded in the garage.

I can live with 'em. The rest of the mix and the melody were great.
:)

DustyJack

Cool songs! I listed to under the sun first, and one comment that I'd make is right around 3:18 everything drops down a little bit...I'd like to hear the bass guitar drop down also , seems to stick out right there. The song is great , everything sounds great!
Great job.
Burgundy - really sounds good! I like the guitar picking/scratching effect. I would like the vocal level to come up just a little bit in the verses. Chorus sounds good. great playing all the way around!! I think these songs are definately ready for radio play!!
thanks for sharing them!
Jason

I listened to Under the Sun.

Cool enough vibe. I like the chorus. Nice feel. Weird lyrics, but pretty good. Nice harmonies, but a few execution issues (e.g., at 1:24). I liked the clean guitar part playing the harmonics coming out of the chorus.

The mix is rather quiet. Seems like you have some extra headroom.

The bass seemed very quiet in spots (like the intro), and then much louder in other spots.

Doubled vox would sound cool on this song I think.

The verb on the drums seems significantly different than on the other parts. Makes it seem almost separate from the other parts.

My thoughts...

<edit> - did the band rush the tempo just a bit in the outro?

thanks for the helpful critisim! i actually was expecting a few of the comments but then there were a few that completely made me think differently. especially about the bass. the garage drum sound was an effect that i chose.. it kind of flows in and out of the garage. what it is is a kitchen mic'd up while the snare toms and kik are played through a bass amp and marshall stack.. i think there are possibly too much mids in there.. these aren't the final versions going to college radio so thanks immensely for the words...

matt n gertie fox

Under The Sun: The kick and bass come through the mix a tad too loud. Could probably just drop the 150hz and lower frequencies a tad and correct it. Interesting use of harmonics. Vocals are well recored (need to be slightly louder or compressed more). Nice spot at 1:40, very Beatles-esque style with that modern feel/attitude. Drums could use a little more presence on the snare (maybe a case of too much reverb causing the hits to wash a bit). All the cymbals seem a little pushed back as well.

There's just an over-all feel that this could be 'louder' all around. There's a lot ot enjoy here, and this is probably the best tune I've heard tonight...

Burgundy: Same presence issues, so maybe it's your ears/style of production... another good song though, very solid playing. The backing vocals in the bridge come in a bit loud. Like the ending :p

I hear a lot of effort in these songs. Thanks for sharing them. :)

Unrelated note -- be sure to setup your id3 file for the mp3s so stuff like your band name and song come up in the media player.

The first verse vocal could come up at least a dB. It seems to get better as it goes.

1:31 "Why do you date me"...I LOVE the vocal production there. Your voice reminds me a little of Triple M's. It's like a solid tenor or something. Nice and easy going, but you both can belt it out when you want to.

Other than that first verse needing to come up a little, I thought the mix worked very well.

Dude that tune was fun... Cheers!

Tom

SluiCe, you've posted that exact reply in both this thread and the Love song one, which thread do you mean? :D

Back