"Operation Failure" First Pro Tools recording

ibleedburgundy

The Anti-Lambo
This is the first complete recording I've made with pro tools the my basement of my townhouse. We recorded the drums, bass, guitar, and vocals at my place and then I emailed it to a friend in New Orleans and he put some piano/keyboard tracks on there.

The song is called "Operation Failure." It's a bout a beach trip we took where everything went wrong. We are not a reggae band but this song is a tip of our hat to that genre.

I got the factory bundle but I have not begun to use all my resources and plug-ins. I just use the pro tools compressor and slight amounts of reverb and the EQ so the recording still sounds a little raw.

All suggestions and criticisms are welcome. Thanks, and bring it on!

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=14647522

Bring up your vocal levels hard to hear them.

Not sure it needs a long guitar solo, or two solo's but that's your call.

The overall tone of the tune is dull, not very shimmery.

Keep at it, every song you learn something new.

EL34 said:
Bring up your vocal levels hard to hear them.

Not sure it needs a long guitar solo, or two solo's but that's your call.

The overall tone of the tune is dull, not very shimmery.

Keep at it, every song you learn something new.

Thank you for the response.

Yeah, the vocals are definitely too low.

Do you think raising the overall levels will help with the dullness? After I mixed it down to CD, I realized the levels are lower than they should be. Any other suggestions on dullness would be welcome. I'm willing to try anything.

Personally, I like instrumentals so to me, the fact that this song is all solo and barely any singing is kinda nice-that's my style. Sort of.

...and to those of you who keep looking at this thread and not saying anything, SAY SOMETHING! At least tell me I suck. Anything, please. :)

I hate the damn myspace player, but...

You need to control the low end a bit with some subtractive EQ. Besides the obvious vocal level problem, there is just not a whole lot of shimmer/high-end in here at all...
The drums sound OK until the fills, then the lack of compression and dynamics peaks out quite abruptly.
Guitars (playing-wise) are good, but just need to be played with in the EQ department or re-recorded with some better mic placement...

JazzMang said:
I hate the damn myspace player, but...

You need to control the low end a bit with some subtractive EQ. Besides the obvious vocal level problem, there is just not a whole lot of shimmer/high-end in here at all...
The drums sound OK until the fills, then the lack of compression and dynamics peaks out quite abruptly.
Guitars (playing-wise) are good, but just need to be played with in the EQ department or re-recorded with some better mic placement...

People love to hate myspace. I don't get it. It's free. What's not to love?

Anyhow, thanks for the advice! I will most certainly be using it (except for the mic placement thing. I didn't use a mic on any of the guitar tracks. It's a VOX tonelab SE pre-set). Problem is, the Tonelab SE emits a humming sound that bothers the hell out of me. I can't figure out why it would do this through a line out. I tried playing with all the levels on the darn thing but if I turn it down low enough to eliminate the hum, it's also too low for the Digi 002's pre-amp to make up for it.

ibleedburgundy said:
People love to hate myspace. I don't get it. It's free. What's not to love?
Myspace in its essence is ok (I got an account too), but the player makes everything sound like ass.

Back