Open A Can Of The Oldschool - Oldschool Breakbeat, what would you mix differently?

CookAndStans

Hi,
its me again :-)
Wanted to ask what you think about this song:

Is there something you would mix/master differently?

Kind regards,
Have a nice weekend :-)
Flo

I thought this sounded pretty good. Overall tonal balance is very good. The keyboard riff is cool.

I'm hearing a little hiss. Sounds like there is more of it on the right than the left.

Songwise, it doesn't do much.

Feels like it needs some sub to me, things are a little on the thin side in general I think. Maybe a side-effect of limiting?

TriplM: Thanks :-). Hm the hiss comes from a fieldrecording. I used it to fill out the highs a bit and keep it lively. But maybe thats really a bit to much.
Easlern: Yes, I agree- the bass is a bit muddy. I'm new to mastering- maybe should have doublechecked the bassline.
Thanks to both of you :-)

Compared to songs from the genre, it could probably use more sub bass, but I kinda like that it's not overwhelming down there. Put it on a spectrum analyzer and check the 200-300hz range sounds like some build up. Maybe if you reduce that you can raise the bass a little to match the genre norms (if that's a goal). I thought it was well done, and that's all I've got for now because I have to go hit the dance floor. ;)

Hm- there is actually a sub after 1:28
But I guess your right it has no power.
I havent compressed it- I guess thats a problem. Also maybe I should have distorted it a bit.
Thanks for your input! :-)

Has anyone else some Ideas how to improve it?

Back