One song for voting

This song is called "One", let me know what you think.

• 1. Awesome! Put it on the radio.

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • 2. Very nice! Keep up the good work.

Votes: 7 63.6%
  • 3. Average. Next song please!

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • 4. OK, just don't quit your day job.

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • 5. Make the pain go way!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Fishmed

OK here is song from a client that I want to get a general opinion on. Vote and post any thoughts about the music/production you might have. Thanks.

One

Last edited:
Very nice voice.....There's a few loudness issues, but nothing too bad. Maybe tone it down a db or 2, as she seems to be singing on top of the song...not within it. Maybe compress the whole mix just a small amount, to see if that softens some of the spikes. :confused:

Nice tune though man....good clean sounds.

HI, FISHMED!

Very good sound!!

I give "10" to vocals. Don´t touch in vox track! :D :D :D :D
very natural , excelent performance (what pre and mic?room treatment? I´m curious...).

And a "8,5" to the piano. Is a midi piano? It´ok, and a very good performance, but to my taste a little "unnatural" sound in comparision with voice.
I will sugest (if is possible at this point of production) try another piano sample (if is a midi piano, sorry if i´m wrong )with a better stereo image (cause you are with "out of phase" issues too, and in mono (well, who hear in mono today?),but... it´s "disappearing"(only piano, not vox).

But in general way, a very good song and well balanced mix
Excelent job FISHMED! :cool: :cool: :cool:

Despite my little critics, I vote "put on the radio" , that´s what I think of this great song.

*(the overload clips are obvously only in the mp3, correct?)

Last edited:
Pretty song. She has a very nice tone in her voice and is dynamic. There are volume issues throughout both in her voice and with the piano playing. She probably would level off if the piano did. It's like she is mimicking the piano's surging which she probably picked up after a few takes. Pretty much the song is too loud all around and needs to be softened up for a more bluesy flavor before it hits the radio.

Thanks all for your comments. That song came from a batch of songs that I did late last year and it was her fist time working with me at my studio. We have a second batch to do so all that you have said here will help me in the direction I need to go with her on the music.

We were just using the sounds out of her Yamaha keyboard. It is a low-end model, but they are sounds she was used to. I have better ones that we will use next time.

I used a Beyerdynamic MCE 90 for the mic on her vocals and a UREI LA-4 for the compressor. Currently I use the mic pres in my mixer (Behringer 3216), but I do plan to get better mic pres down the road, hopefully soon. :(

Very good recording. Singer has a great voice and it's nice not to here the usual trills and vocal acrobatics. Thought the song was too long though, i'd cut it down by a minute or so.

The gliss at 0.47 is a bit too loud.
The keys do need a little "naturing". On the other hand something a ideosyncratic as a Rhodes might be a better match for the voice.
Nice -
Not a lot happening with the bass notes.
The repeated gliss works even less well each time it happens. A bit like listening to John Cale's piano version of Heartbreak Hotel 1/2 doz times consecutively - thrilling at 1st but the "drama" pales with familiarity.

Thank You!!!

Thank you so much everyone for your input. All criticism given is positive and extremely helpful. I will take her future projects in a new direction that should bring her talent to a new level. A lot of other factors have changed since we recorded this song, so I am hopeful for the next project. :)

Gorgeous vocal! I love her voice and I love the music!
Unfortunately, I think the song is too long for its contents!
Good song! Keep up the good work!!

Ced

Back