one last listen please.

flash2ace

ok this is a remix of a remix of a remix lol. anyway turned the vox down and cut the mids on the intro lead guitar.the mix sounds pretty good on my home stereo but it still seems to be lacking dynamics or somthing im not sure. could someone please have a listen and help me out. i would sure appreciate it alot. thanks so much. open to any suggestions as far as the mix goes and suggestions on any add ins on the song are welcome to. thanks alot. god bless tim pate http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=1751&alid=-1 he died for you.

heres a rundown on how things are panned.
guitar left=65% left
guitar right=65%right
bass=center
drums, all drums are midi and are on one track so i have no individual control over them. they are panned center.
main vox=6%l
1 chorus= 25%r
2 chorus=25%l
intro guitar lead=29%l
hook lead=24%r

this is exactly how i have it, does anyone have any suggestions to do it differently. volume adjustments on any levels. the guitars are all ran into the computer thru my zoom gfx8 floorboard which has cabinet emulation with speaker depth control and alot of other goodies. i was thinking about possibly re-recording the right guitar track with my amp and try mic-ing it. i dont have a good mic here though and would have to go and rent one. thanks guys god bless tim pate

I'm not an expert in mixing, but the the vocals are WAY too much in the front(compared to the rest) and also too soft -- maybe some screaming or at least singing loud instead of mixing it loud could help -- on the other hand, the guits+drums seem to be recorded to low cause it's lotta backgrund noise, and they're too soft(no mids?) also..
hope it helps someway
cheers

If...., you`ll buy me an orange drink and 3 pc chicken box...

hehe, I`ll listen when I get home from work. ;)

thanks for the comments groove, i cut the mids on the intro lead guitar because it was so bitey. i had to make a cut on the rythm guitars because they had to much lows in them and were killing the drums and bass guitar badly. i also cut some of the lows outta the bass because it to was beating up on the drums. we are shooting for a sorta evanessence kinda vocal sound and i know she is capable of it if she pushes it a little. i wasnt realy happy with the vox either, she didnt push it as hard as i know she can and ive heard her do it before.what im gonna do is get her to resing it if i can with a more pushing it feel.if you guys havnt checked out evanessence yet you should they realy rock and they got a female singer(check out the song bring me to life,from the movie daredevil) it tottaly rocks.and again i thank you for the comments and maybe when we get the backing vox in here it will sound more meaty because my bass player can sing awesome. im gonna put a few growls in here to.

toki, im looking forward to you listening youve realy helped me alot in the pasy with my mixesand i thank you alot. and of course i would buy you a orange pop and a bucket of chicken. again thanks for your help on this project. god bless tim pate

Kind of a cool feel to the song. I rather liked it. I liked the rhythm guits. The doubled sound is real nice. Not a lot of beef to them, but I still liked them.

I didn't hear previous versions of the the song, but the lead guit is still a little abrasive. Just a little though. Good playing on it.

The vocals are kind of weird. The syncing on them is very good (they're doubled right?). But they kind of have a "Chipmunks" feel to them. Not sure why. What effects were used? Do they sound that way if only one of the vocal tracks are played?

better mix, but not there yet.. The vocals are still too loud in most spots..The rhythm guitars are too low, but they are also harsh sounding in spots.. I would start the mix from scratch without using any extra e.q. at all anywhere except at the source.. even if that means rerecording the rhythms.. Listen to *this mix* knowing the rhythm guitars are too low but also a bit harsh, and the vocals are too loud.. The singer is not the problem here imhop, it's the mix.. You may have to ride the faders if you cant find a good compression setting for vocals.. I mainly use presets when using compression on vocals..

hmmm. chipmunk sounding lol,i like that. i used chorus on her vocals to thicken them up a bit,chipmunks lol i hear it now. i never noticed that before. i put a splash of reverb on the vox to, the he died for you part is doubled and on that i used a little bit different sorta chorus than on the main vox to give it a seperation sorta feel. i also added the echo on the word live. which im not sure if i like the echo now but i worked on it for like 4 hours straight cutting frequencies and such and my ears were burned out when i added it. i guess it sounds ok? i agree about the rythm guitars not being real beefy, i had to cut alot of lows outta them to uncover the drums and bass guitar that they lost alot of there air so to say. i was wondering what would happen if i added two more guitar tracks and panned them just a little behind the other two with a fatter sound? any ideas on this anyone. i realy like the beefy driven sound of pounding guitars in my mix. but i couldnt achieve that here because it drowned the drums and bass lol.
although i know bands like metallica achieve it, thats sorta the sound i like is metallicas guitars, they sound so fat and driven but yet they dont cover up or step on the mix? how the heck they do that. anyway thanks for the listen and god bless.

ok im gonna retrack the guitars.i was sorta palnning on it anyway. i will redo this until it is wright. i am willing to take the time and do it and as long you great people are hear to listen i will do so. thanks alot b.sabbath and everyone who listened. ill be back. god bless tim pate

:cool:

You are getting there Bro! When ya retrack the Rythymn Gitz, Get em out from under the basket! :) LOL

The lady sho can sing, but as most have said, the vox is too loud fo da mix, man! ;)

Keep tryin till ya get it. You will. :D

CR ><>

About your song...

I think it sounds pretty good, the guitars don't sound that bad. It's better than what I can do probably. If the guitar was louder it might sound cool on a huge surround sound home entertainment system. Pretty bassy sounding, I only listened to it lo-fi though. Don't hold this against me but I'm not exactly real Christian...so i don't love the lyrics but they are sang nicely and fit into the mix well. I don't think your vocals were too loud, I think the mix was too quiet. That's just my opinion though. Good luck if you mess with it some more. I will listen again if you do. later

cfw

Last edited:
wow thanks for all the listens guys this is great. the singer just heard this for the first time tonight at church. she realy liked it, she loves the echo i put on the live part. and she realy loved how fat i made her voice sound with chorus.lol. axe you are always a welcome set of ears in my postings and thanks for the listen again. i realize some of you must be getting sick of this song lol. i realy do appreciate this guys and i am recording the guitar tracks over again, im trying to find a good sound i only have like 264 different sounds in my gfx8 but alot of them sound fairly harsh lol.
i should have bought the new pod instead i suppose it was the same price.we will be adding the backing vox probably tommorow and that should realy help fill it in some. anyways thanks guys for the listen. cfw welcome to home record i appreciate the listen and welcome you brother. god bless you all. tim pate

you`ve done very well. The sound has improved immensely. :)
However some peaks and dips in places as B.Sabbath said, need addressing. I dont believe there is any advice to be found more solid than what he provided you with ....grasshopper.

:cool:

Tim,

Love the message....you've got good chops and tasty licks....passionate and direct. I liked it enough to download it and play around with it with Cool Pro for a stretch (all trial & error......new toy for me) . It needs more mid range sparkle ..... vocals down with less delay but some warm reverb, more presence in the rythmn guitar part , less rumble and more punch to the bass. My humble efforts were in vain as I couldnt get enough separation between the vocals and instrumental mid range, but it was fun! Thank you for sharing The Word in your song!
I'll keep my ears on you, brother.

Peace

thanks toki for the listen and the compliments as well. i am retracking the guitars and i will have it uploaded by tommorow somtime. i realy wanna get that metallica rhythm sound but it just dont seem possible because it wont sit in the mix very well. ive gott the guitars retracked with a tottaly different sound and they sound much better and i turned all the volumes all the way down and started with the drums and turned them up and then set everything to mix in with the drums. i can now hear the drums much better, i just wanted to say this and i still laugh about it when i think of it, since no one said that the vocals sound crappy like the mic wasnt very good i recorded her vocals with a 30 dollar radio shack mic lol. we pratice at her house and all our good mics are at her house and she forgott to grab one lol. so she drove all the way here with no mic so i said we will try it with my cheap mic, and realy i dont think it sounds to bad for a radio shack mic. ive used it before for my own stuff when i do vox and heck it dont sound to bad. i realy want this song to sound good,we will be sending this song to future canidates for management. so it has to sound fairly good, and we will be having a interview on one of our local christian radio stations in the area and they want to play the song so i gotta make it sound pretty good. you guys are realy good at this and i appreciate it alot. thanks guys and god bless tim pate

Back