Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: One breath Away.

RAMI Guest

One breath Away.

Sign in to disable this ad
    In my on-going quest to re-mix many of my older songs, here's one more. I'm almost done and then I'll get back to writing and recording something new.

Unlike most of the others that I've posted lately, this one I haven't touched at all. I'm just posting it the way it was when I had done it about a year and a half ago. This is the first tune I did after getting out of the hospital at the time.

Fire away. I have a feeling this one has more "problems" than most stuff I post. I was going to work on it, but then I figured I might as well post it first, and see what the rabble says.

Thanx

ONE BREATH AWAY

Thanks
    I don't have any mixing advice here. The background vocals are really in perfect balance and really add weight to the song. The add-on guitars in the second verse really do a lot of work. I don't hear a lot of problems.

Interesting Tom Petty/Kinks thing going on. I like it very much.

Thanks
    Real nice song and I like the chorus kinda ELO without all those strings. Your voice sounded good with some gravel in it. At the first break I heard a 60 cycle amp hum that to me detracted from what could have been beautiful silence. Quieter anyway.

Thanks
    I really like the vocal a lot. You might want to turn it down.

Oh, I'm so funny sometimes.

Mix sounds great to me first time right out of the box.
    Like is like still like the worst.

Thanks
    Good mix. The main vocal track is very clean, I might add some (more?) reverb and mix it a touch lower. The backing vocals are stacked right under the main vocals during the chorus, not sure I like that effect. I typically add some separation to those parts (panning the backing vocals).
    The Boogeymen
    www.the-boogeymen.com

Thanks
    I agree with Pinky regarding the BU vocals, maybe pan each one a little bit, they're too perfectly synched on top of the lead vocal now. OH are too wide for me, but that's how you like 'em.
    Mike B My new album on CD Baby: Fact and Fiction
    My Bandcamp site: http://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

Thanks
    Tom Petty's gonna sue you for lifting the chords to Last Dance With Mary Jane.

I thought things sounded pretty good. I think the vocals (lead and backing) could be a little lower or the guitars could be a little louder. I'd probably bring up the guitars. The lead guitar is fine - I'm just talking about the rhythms.

I was about ready to say that the bass was covering the kick a little bit. But after listening some more, I thought they weren't too bad. But nevertheless you might want to see if you could separate them with some EQ just a bit better.

A little too much reverb for me (isn't is always?). Personal preference.

But that's about it.

RAMI Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by dobro View Post
    I really like the vocal a lot. You might want to turn it down.
    Quote Originally Posted by TripleM View Post
    I think the vocals (lead and backing) could be a little lower
    Wow! That's a change for me. Believe me, I got no problem turning down my vocals, so no problem there.

Tom Petty's gonna sue you for lifting the chords to Last Dance With Mary Jane.
    Hehe....Not even close.

Quote Originally Posted by paulisher View Post
    Your voice sounded good with some gravel in it.
    Unfortunately, my voice only sounded like that for about a month after surgery. I wish it stayed this way, I love it but can't get that same gravel without sounding like I'm trying too hard to get it now. Oh well, might have to start smoking or something.

At the first break I heard a 60 cycle amp hum that to me detracted from what could have been beautiful silence. Quieter anyway.
    Yeah, that wasn't deliberate. But since it's there, I left it in. I actually love hearing that kind of thing on older albums. I wouldn't put it in there on purpose, but since it was there, I just went with it.

Thanx for all the advice, guys. I'll definitely take care of all those things (more separation between the lead and bax in the chorus, too much reverb, bass and kik separation, etc....).
    Last edited by RAMI; 03-25-2015 at 05:39.

Thanks
    Guitar licks are a lot like Tom Petty like mentioned above but damn this is a good song. Your vocals really set this apart from anything he has done.

-Love the amp hum too

-Background vocals are stacked like mentioned but don't sound bad at all. I know panning may make them sound a little more spacious, but the harmonies you are singing sound really good stacked like that.

great song RAMI
    Sonar X, Les Paul, Marshall DSL40C, AD2, Rode NT1, Shure SM57, and Dunlop picks, and cheap egg shakers, and Nike Shoes.

Thanks
    I looked into my "downloads" folder and there were about 7 RAMI songs neatly lined up in there from previous threads. I got a free RAMI album!

Great lead tone.

Thread Information