Older Song- Greater Fools

AaronChapman

Thanks, again for everyone who offered helpful tips on my last post. It really helped to improve some of my tracks.
Was organizing some files on my computer and happened to dig up this older song from a forgotten folder. It's a little meaty. I'm thinking of reworking this one. I have to figure out the song again since I forget the guitar parts. Once I have that figured out, I'll try to give it a professional recording (with the gear I currently have).

I'm looking for some mixing suggestions for the song. I only did this as a one take at the time, so I was just fooling around in audition duplicating some layers and adding some distortion effects. I like that muffled fuzzy guitar sound. Though, I should try to reduce the muddiness? Maybe, bring the voice forwards more as well.

I'd love to hear your opinions on the track; what you think it's missing, should avoid doing, etc. I think adding some drums could be interesting. Thanks

GreaterFool (From Demo Album "Bartender My Glass Is Half Empty) by Aaron Chap | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Lyrics:

It ain't a mystery to sinners.
It ain't a mystery to the common man.
It ain't a mystery to sinners;
everyman with a wayward plan.

They say there's a blind man on my shoulder.
They say he judges everything I've done.
If that's true, he has no color.
A clean cover for more lies to be done.

I may be a fool,
but no greater fool
than a fool for you.

Last edited:
Sounds good on my headphones, really cool song btw. :) I'd try making some more room for the vocal (the guitar seems to be masking it a bit).

This is the second song I've listened to (on headphones) from this forum and you've got some cool sounds in there. From a listener perspective (yet to record or mix anything seriously), what I would do is bring the delay/reverb parts closer to center. Then bring the guitar and vocals up a touch. Personally I want to hear a little better what the guitar is doing. Love the free feel overall.

Back