Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: An Old Challenge

Thanks

An Old Challenge

Sign in to disable this ad
    This is like 2 or 3 challenges ago, but I'm slow.

This is a complete remake of a song I put up a couple of months ago called 'What I Want'. The song has no effects - just manipulation of faders and panning.

It uses the SLuiCe -12db method of tracking and it's the first time I recorded in 24 bit resolution.

So tell me what you would do if this were your "dry" mix...

Again - 'What I Want'

Thanks in advance.

edit: http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/?aid=1436/singles

Thanks
    Hey no reviews and I already got 5 stars. I'm feeling good.

Thanks
    i definitely remember the song.......very r.e.m., end of the world as we know it-ish lyrics....very nice.......i think the dry mix realy works here

Thanks
    I love this song. I think it's one of the best lyrical tunes I've heard here. Never thought who to compare it to but yeah, VERY R.E.M

The mix is better I believe, I'm hearing harmonies I never heard before, sounds a bit dry but it works in this context.

Thanks
    Thanks powder and lynx. I apreciate your thoughts and comments.

My intent (which I should have explained better) was to get mixing ideas. I wanted to get a bunch of perspectives and ideas. e.g., is a guitar clobbering a vocal? What reverb(s) would you use? Would you put a delay on anything? Would you squash the vox and make it REALLY LOUD? Does that clean guitar need to be brightened? Stuff like that.

I'd then consider all the ideas and implement the ones I like. I'll post a remix when I'm done.

Again, thanks.

Thanks
    I can't really make out the chords in the middle eight so that part kind of fell apart for me. I like the song though and the Disney reference was very funny. On my crappy speakers, the vocal is clobbering the guitar, not the other way around. I think the backing should be brought up a bit or beefed up.

I know this is splitting hairs, but I would change the lyric to "read a play by Checkov" to be a little more precise, since I don't think he wrote "books" in the sense you mean here.

Thanks

Talking

"I wanna bring you up instead of down, I wanna build an ark instead of drown"

I love that line..

This recording sounds a bit better to my ears than your usual.. One of the main reasons is it doesn't have that nasty mp3 side effect that I've come to expect from your tunes..

There is a lack of crispness to the music, but it might help make the vocals come through better.. The whole thing could use some higher end without making it harsh..

If you ever figure out how to to that, please tell me!

love the tune!

Thanks
    ashulman - thanks for the input. I probably boosted the vox too much - the opposite of what I usually do. Easy to fix. I'll take a hard listen to the middle 8 and see what I can do - perhaps a high end boost to the guits.

Sam - thanks man, that's some info I can really use. I'm going to try to boost the highs (> 5500 hz) on a couple of tracks. I encoded the thing at 160 kbps this time because I could notice artifacts at 128. 192 only offered minimal improvement over 160.

Later...

Thanks
    Trip,
    I remember this one! Classic lyrics as usual.

First off, I would say more They Might Be Giants than REM but that is neither here nor there.

I would also say try cutting the lows/low mids before you boost the highs. That seems to be the common rule of thumb. At least give it a shot. When you boost you intrduce the crispiness.

Also, the vocals tend to wear on me. Because of the style (ala It's The End Of The World) it tended to tire my ears. It seems high to me throughout, like the melody needs to lower further in some spots if possible (like verse vs. chorus), or maybe the harmonies could be warmer. Could you double the main vocal an octive lower and mix that in? Just ideas to warm it up!

Now the lyrics and the song don't wear on me at all. I love that part as usual. hopefully what I'm saying makes sense.

Great work so far. Let's see what you can come up with. Maybe some other more experienced folks can give you some more concrete suggestions.

Thanks
    Cool, I'm still working on my "dry" challenge tune, it's going to have to wait till the current challenge is over tho, it's also my first 24 bit project as well.

I remember this one. This is a step up from the last mix, effects or no. Vocals have lot's of ambience.

It's a cool song, I heard some more lyrics this time around
    "I want to use depech mode in a sentence"...nice

I could hear everything clearly but the clean melodic guitar near the end, which I thought was too good to drown out.

I still think the growly guitar is a bit too much for the tune, maybe edge up the fuzz a bit so the strumming comes through a little clearer on it.. Mix wise the bass seemed a little strong. If a big bass is what you are aiming for with this then I'd say some other parts need to come up a bit, not sure what tho.

Doug

Thread Information