An Old Challenge

I heard the other mix and this is a lot better.

What would I do if I were mixing it?

I'd try to get some more pop in the snare and toms. I think I'd probably pull out some low mids and lows and mess with the compressor on those. Maybe the toms could be louder as the fills sound a little anti-climactic.

On the cleaner guitar (the semi arppegiated part) I'd pull out some low mids. It could be brighter.

The dirty guitar is the only thing I don't like. Jangly would work as others have said. But even if you don't go jangly, cleaner would help.

man you are one helluva lyricist. My ears go straight to the lyrics with your stuff after Stupid Song.

Talking like Donald Duck is friggin' hard, isn't it?

We need to figure out how to get you famous. I'm sure people would love your songs.

OK, another listen for mix stuff....

Skimming through I see the guitar was mentioned. To me it sounds on the fence. Like it's not sure if it wants to kick ass or be friends.

I say go big with the mix. Put an excessive amount of reverb on the snare (don't forget some pre-delay!) Go more dry with the vocals and go wetter with the instruments. I don't know. I bet it would sound cool. Play around!

Great song Trip!

Tom

Herm - The Archies? Please tell me it doesn't sound like the Archies :D.

pglewis - glad you liked it. Jangly guitars? Geez it seems like a lot of people feel that way. I still think crunchy ones would sound better. As far as the 'Main' vocal. I always keep my lead vocal tracks at roughly the same volume. I'll try boosting one and pulling the other two back and see how it sounds. Some EQ may help too.

dafduc - thanks. I'm thinking of adding an octave lower vocal track on the chorus. I'm also thinking of retracking the harmonies. I listened to my original recording and the backing vox were done in a "half whisper" style. I like that better. I'm not hearing major pitch issues - I'll double check.

IanW - the guitars are double tracked and they're "exactly" the same tone. They're panned extremely wide (95%L - 95%R). I was losing fidelity once I moved them any closer to center - something that has never happened to me before. The parts seem tight enough to hold up to that wide of panning. The toms and crash are pretty wide. I'll pull them in a bit.

G-man - I can always count on some good feedback from you. Thanks. There's that jangly guitar again. Arrrgh.

eric - I butchered that original mix. I think this sounds better too. Thanks.

fprod - the drums are all samples. I think I could get more umph from the snare and kick if I just give the faders a boost. Not sure if I can get a cleaner guitar sound without retracking.

SLuiCe - I've always wanted to be able to talk like Donald Duck. Some people can do it without even trying. I just don't have what it takes. The 'On the fence' comment... I want it to kick ass - not be friends. Any suggestions on what to do with it would be welcomed. On the verb, I agree. That was pretty much the plan, but I was intending on going big on the vox too. I'll play around with that. Thanks man.

Thanks again to everyone.

TripleM said:
SLuiCe - I've always wanted to be able to talk like Donald Duck. Some people can do it without even trying. I just don't have what it takes...

No doubt. Sadly, I don't either.

As for the guitar...I don't know. Crank the gain? Double the tracks you've got? I think you should try a pair of "jangly" guitar tracks and a pair of ballsy guitar tracks, and see which approach you like better. I think both could be done to work well, and to the point where it's just a matter of taste.

Tom

Another excellent song!

Mix-wise, on my crappy speakers, I had trouble making out the vocals. It seemed like maybe the instruments could be panned a little better in the stereo field, but this could just be a product of my cheap-ass speakers and playing in lo-fi :(

Performance wise, sounded very good. Would like to hear some more "beef" to the drums, especially the snare. Maybe some reverb could help there.

I really like the song and look forward to hearing the "final" mix!

Your stuff definitely rocks!

:)

I remember this one. I liked it before and I like it this time too. It makes me chuckle and that is a very good thing.

The mix comes across to me as really unexciting. Almost like it is too squashed. But you said this is dry so...hmmm...I don't know. I think the guitars sound too distorted and squashed and...though I rarely say this, the vox seems too up front. Sorry I can't be of more help than that. I'll keep listening and see if anything comes to me. :)

You have a very interesting voice and it fits this style very well.

Nice work on this.

V.cool

I said it before, I like your style. Enjoyed this track a lot. Sitting listeing in a wee cafe, very nice. Just to say, ace.

SLuiCe - I played with some EQ last night on those distorted guits. Did a little boost at 350 and a little cut at 2500 and they seem a little more angry. Allows me to turn them up a bit and gives the vox a little more space too. We'll see how it sounds. This board is probably going to talk me into jangly guitars.

boydrj - I'm thinking some compression and some EQing can help with those vox. SLuiCe mentioned some verb on the snare. Yep I plan to do that. As far as panning, some of the drum parts were pretty wide, but I'm not sure what else...

Jagular - I suppose the distorted guitars could sound squashed just because of the distortion. You should see the wave form on them - flat as a table. No compression anywhere on this one. I'm hoping that some verb and and bringing out that clean guitar will help too.

Erland - I hope that cafe has a nice view as well... Sounds like you're having a nice summer huh? Thanks for the listen.

Back