OK please Any comments on 18daysZombi

theblackBay

Mean average best idiot..
I am probably thinking about entering into a production contract with these dudes if i can talk to their management. i don't like really talking to band musicians as such, any comments on the differences between the two versions would be helpful..

http://www.theblackbay.com/abstract.php

Or indeed any comments at all would be appreciated i will try to listen and comment on others work on here asap.

i have spent two days on this production the raw tracks were some of the worst I’ve heard for "studio" recording ever, there is a lot i will do (about another 2 days) but would be happy with any comments on this production.

and the song i mean is it a very "average" song with re: the writing?

also the singer any comments? i'll probably decide to pursue or not based on an average of comments recived on here (all things being equal)

thank you

Both mixes sound like rotten ass. Your "mastered" mix sounds a little wider, but too roomy. Almost phasey. I guess your master is better, but neither one is particularly pleasing to the ear.

Thank you greg.

thanks for the feedback what you are hearing there on my production is the extream end of some pretty nasty compression.

the "phasey" sound you dislike so much is compressed Drums, and other things, it was what i was going after for a sound so in that respect it's a compliment, thanks; granted i may have gone too far, but again are you listening on HI-FI or Studio as this will make a large difference in this case, I DO know the hats a just a little high around 8k. due to Hi-Fi.

My prediction here is that engineers "hear" bus compression artifacts and dislike them because most engineers are "trained" not to like it, listeners find it interesting and unusual as history seems to prove.

- the guitar has a certain "bite" to it, something i wouldn't do myself but is very typical of this sort of song:

I would guess you would like the first one if it was mixed better am i right?

I see their "mix" as a rock song, I aimed to move it towards the a "younger" audience and Rock, Pop, punk it.

i have been told the singer is horrid. i'm not sure. he's better than me but that says nothing.

nothing.

Oh for anyone interested

I thought it would be fun when the singer sang "I don't need any drugs" to try to make him sound as fucked up as possible and change the meaning of his intended lyrics, but in a way that only people on actual drugs would understand.

get me....

Squid .....Dough ....Polyethylene Bag, = Fast & Bulbous.

thank you

Both mixes sound like rotten ass. Your "mastered" mix sounds a little wider, but too roomy. Almost phasey. I guess your master is better, but neither one is particularly pleasing to the ear.

on review thank you , i see what is occuring here , yes well i had interesting time working with this, people keep telling me it's a lost cause.

I will correct that room issue which is stemming from two particular aspects, which i can control.

The "I Don't Need Any Drugs" bit sounds very much like it coiuld have come from Iggy Pop from somewhere on the Idiot - or maybe Lust for Life.
Sounds like you've made the backing, apart from the guitar & snare quasi industrial. The band sound like the want to be ealry Black Crowes or some Southern 70's band.
I don't mind you mix actually - I didn't expect it to sound like a "rock" band would want to sound simply because it was you mixing.

I wouldn't buy it, and neither would my 17 year old son and he is into the punk/grunge sound. Just my opinion but as someone once said, "You can't polish a turd."

thanks

thanks Rayc your a ledged i was aiming in that direction so thank you, for that comment, i have some work to do but i think the singer combined with the other things i had to do to get it to sound, just even a little like a recording that was tracked in a "studio" of any kind, has degraded it possibly too much.

with dani
yeah i been getting that, interesting hey.... put your finger on it dude, what is it?

i tried to calm down the verse by taking the guitar and such and slightly adding a synth Hey, i really like the Second Verse for what it's worth but i don't think people listened that far LOL.

i think Rayc did because he saw what i was aiming to do.

they were my guitars added... oh well I’ll fix the obvious stuff from here and just say to the guys "hey want that version take it or leave it, i want nothing so you can take it , or alternatively you can go with your mix.”

Or pay someone to mix your terribly tracked instruments (in which case just pay me) lol and throw good money after bad.

Thank you and good night.

did you guys hear that snare in originals? all studios should be made to Keep a snare on hand to replace it with the bands in this case.

I can't quite nail what it is that I didn't like, maybe the voice doesn't suit the music. All in all your mix isn't bad, I think you just had some bad materal to start with and we all know "there is only so much you can fix in the mix." If something is off in the beginning it will still be off in the finished product.

Hi dude,

It wasn't so bad. There are smaller shades of 80's goth here and there, a little bit Sisters of Mercy in places, but overall I felt the band was a bit weak musically.

From what I can gather, you were working with tracks engineered by the band themselves, so you can't be held responsible for the playing or the performance. I thought your mix was tidy and compact, although I didn't think the wobbly vocals helped too much.

I didn't like the snare sound, when the drummer did a roll it sounds like a mis-firing machine gun, which I guess is more down to the playing and the recording. The guitars were alright, but that little break that the guitarist did really was nothing special.

Overall thats my problem with it, I felt it was quite an 'ordinary' song musically, the performance was a bit bland and the style kind of dated. I could imagine it playing in the background of old episodes of Renegade or something like that!

Maybe I'm being harsh on them, maybe they have a whole set of killer tracks, but this isn't one of them.

But I think you've done a reasonable job considering what you had to work with. I think they need your production skills rather more than you need them, tbh.

Jim

You got the guitars and the vocals to sound better. Bass and drums maybe not so much so. I guess this does sound kind of dated and not all that interesting, but there is a certain amount of energy to it. If you're asking about the singer, well, it doesn't sound like people are too thrilled and neither am I. They sound as though they have the potential to do something cool...maybe this just isn't it.

Not my "cup of tea" as you say (style, lyrics), but after reading a lot of bad comments about this song, I listened it, and the only (technical) thing I dislike are the guitars that sound too loud.Nothing realy so bad with the overall mix (I dont listened the "mastering" version).

Ciro
www.soundclick.com/openstation

thanks

yes thank you for all the comments guys, I honestly think the Band are used to the singer being set back in the mix as they have only really played live and have never actually heard him pushed more forward, that'll be a shock for them then.....lol

Well looks like I’m getting a $18.5 refund on my TURDle Wax (tm).

ciro just to get this straight you listened only to the first version and didn't find anything much wrong with it mix wise?

I’m interested what are you listening on?

I think my version was more Harsh which i will tone down, I appreciate the warm feel of the original but that's where the love ends.
again thank you.

Back