Ok, let's try this here, go ahead rip them to shreds...

weAponX

http://mp3.com/weAponX

Sorry, that is where I got the stuff, hope you don't mind.

"Cable TV" and "The Voyage"

Recorded on a tascam 244, tapco 8 channel mixer and yamaha 12 channel mixer, only effect = ibanez delay which was added to original print. Real bass and drums, 57's and 58's on everything.

"Death Asteroid from Orion" and "Dirty Tricks"

Using CEP 1.1 and Fruity Loops w/samples from real drummers I played with.

"Nice Guys Go To Hell," CEP 1.1 and Acid

etc etc

Also look at "The Day God came to Haight Street"- I have a phasing problem with the stereo basic tracks, so in a mono lofi mix, the drums and bass totally dissappear.

downloaded "Nice Guys", "Cable", "Dirty Tricks", and "Voyage"......first three sorta reminded me of Bowie, which is a good thing, Martha Stewart...my fave though, is "The Voyage"...the vocal was spot on, but needed to come up in the mix, or the guitar down...they competed for volume, and the guitar won and it was hard to decipher lyrics...really nice guitar work, bass and drums...all the mixes were cool 'cept for not being able to hear the great vocal very well when the guitar started rockin' on "Voyage"....Nice work....gibs

Better than FT stuff: must piss him off...

I downloaded the whole shebang and looped it while working the toxic waste scene. As mentioned, the first influence that came to mind was Bowie, followed by Yankovic.
Not my shtik but well enough executed.

not only better than FT's, doc, but actually posted in the correct forum...these new guys could teach FT to eat with a knife and fork...gibs:D

We've been trying, hell I've been trying, but IT doesn't want advice on how to record from someone who has been doing it for 20 years.

Just to steer the topic away from IT,

Try this:

http://mp3.com/socialspit

"Eat Shit And Die"

Used: tapco 8 channel stereo mixer, EQ's = FLAT, Sm-58's, Tascam 244.

Mixed: Sound Forge 4.5, WAVES RCL

Pretty good punk band! I'm wondering where those occasional computer clippy noises came from if this was done on a TASCAM 244. Your overall signal was pretty hot. Maybe the vocals could've come up a bit, but other than these minor shortfalls, I liked the tune and the recording.

I guess I added too much Waves RCL... It is hard to judge. I try to keep the gain between 3 and 6 DB and the ratio between 9 and 15, with a fast decay time.

If anyone knows how to use Waves RCL and has some tips on how to refrain from dynamically crushing the wav file I'm all ears. I have XFX multiband dynamics but I just installed it and I don't know how to work it yet- I've never messed with a multiband compressor!

(Help!)

Listened to Cable TV. Cool tune. Definately Bowie sounding at times.

I really like the bass sound. Real simple. Is that just direct? The drums were nice and present. Good job on the vocal sound too.

I didn't like the panning though. Kind of annoying in headphones. I also think that you could've taken the energy up on the vocals. At times it sounded like you were over-practiced and bored.

Otherwise a cool tune. Liked the lyrics. I also like the guitar...it seemed to move quite a bit. The "accidental" harmonics at 0:22 and 0:27 are really cool.

Slackmaster 2000

This is pretty much how we (that band) sounded live, I didn't want to add extra stuff that couldn't be reproduced (later I started adding extra guitars and keyboards), so that is why I did the panning thing. Well, also, I had one track per instrument. The bass was miked with a 58, that was his 1966 Thunderbird out of a GK 200 watt head and A huge Sunn 2-15 bass reflex cabinet it was a pain to cart I tell you what.

The harmonics, heh, that was normal for a G & L F-100, nice axe I wish I had it still. Plus, get this don't laugh, I was playing out of a 160 watt Peavey Reknown! But it was a prototype that had first-edition Scorpion speakers, which were actually Celestions. That was why I bought the fucker, it sounded kick ass, without no stomp boxes. Later versions of the amp sounded like dog doodoo.

Thanx for yer comments guys.

Cable TV

the main riff has that old-school punk flavor... (remember "She's Somethin' Else"... was that the Pistols?). I kinda heard hints of the Cars in there, too. If you're just looking to maximize the volume level on your stereo master, I'd suggest trying Waves L1 or Sonic Timeworks mastering compressor instead of the RCL. Good job, overall.

HEH,,

WeaP, you shit kicks ass dude. I already have it on disk in playlists, but.... should I be charging admission to the neighborhood kids to listen? Moral judgement I guess. :D

TC
SINTZ

Back