Thread: OK, it's been awhile

Thanks

OK, it's been awhile

Sign in to disable this ad
    I don't think I've posted anything here in a couple of years. So I'm overdue.

Cover of America's Daisy Jane. http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeofcj1/

Thoughts?

Thanks
    sounds good. like a louder modern version. voice is a pretty damn close match to the original.

Thanks
    Sounds great. Nice and clear, well balanced and in tune. Considering I know a lil about you and your group, its refreshing to hear real humans doing real harmony.

I might put more reverb on the "cello" or use a section sample. I am assuming its a sample ( or a cellist with limited vibrato skills!). Actually the cello is the only thing I dont like. I bet you could do more with it by automating the part more, more ups and downs.

Sounds great, really. Good luck with this one, I am glad I had a chance to hear it.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidK
    I might put more reverb on the "cello" or use a section sample. I am assuming its a sample ( or a cellist with limited vibrato skills!). Actually the cello is the only thing I dont like. I bet you could do more with it by automating the part more, more ups and downs.
    DK - you're about the last guy I wanted to hear critique the cello. Yeah, it's a sample (Kontakt). Thanks for the tips, I'll give them a try. By "ups and downs," I assume you mean more volume nuances? I have some there now, but mostly just fades at the end of stroke in order to eliminate the abrubt endings that samples give you. Very difficult, for me at least, to try and give samples some emotion.

Travis, thanks for listening. You're the second person who has commented that the singer sounds like the original guy (Gerry Beckley).

Thanks
    Nice sounds man. Very clean recording and mix. I like it.
    Ed
    Honey Badger is badass...he don't give a shit.

Thanks
    Thanks for the tips, I'll give them a try. By "ups and downs," I assume you mean more volume nuances? I have some there now, but mostly just fades at the end of stroke in order to eliminate the abrubt endings that samples give you.
    Yes, volume for starters. You sir are the king of envelopes and taught me everything I know about them, you can use them to your advantage by putting nodes all over the place.

Two things we string players do:

1. Always focus on "the line"

2. We cannot physically sustain a note at one volume.

Long notes either get louder or softer depending on the line, but they never stay the same. For a rough idea, every time you change notes there is a volume change, a crescendo or diminuendo into the next note. It will take a while but not that long, just add a node before and after every long note.

The quality of sound is fine, its a good sample. If there is a way to add more vibrato on SOME ( very few) notes via the mod wheel or something, give it a try. Vibrato is inconsistent in real life, it changes all the time. we do "hairpins" a lot with volume and vibrato where we swell up the sound then back off.

For me, working with samples is all about reverb, it just sounds more realistic with more.

Thanks
    Dachay....It's bout time!! Great song!! Love the vox on this.

Thanks
    David: I'll give it a try. I don't think, however, there is any vibrato control that I'm aware of. I think the vibrato is pretty much in the sample.

True: I'm a little afraid to come out of the Cave. I hear it's rough out here.

Thanks for the listen. So where's you're stuff (or are you just another pretty face?).

Thread Information