Ok, almost done (Situation with vox)

I think that first of all, the snare and kick need alot more high end.
Also the guitars, they're really dark for this style of song. I expect them to be alot brighter and crisp.
I think what makes it sound off is that the vocals are fairly bright and up front and everything else is pretty dark sounding.

With some tweaks I bet this could sound pretty damn good though.

ok...here goes.

1. good song. like the chord structure, flow of the song is good.
2. the mix has no punch - no bite. i'm not sure how to explain this. It *might* be the bass here...there seems to be a low end from the bass that isn't present.
3. I'm with Metal on his take on the guitars. brighter with more teeth.
4. towards the end of the song where the drummer is attacking the kick with 8th then 16th notes, there is a strange pumping/phasey type thing happening with the cymbals...don't know what it is, or how to fix.

i like the tune man...tweaked out this will rock.

cholo

I noticed that too. The notes are actually sextuplets.... I'll have to figure it out. It could be the gate screwing up... I've been mixing it for too long, I'm gonna attack it later today and get 'r done... Thanks for all the input guys!

yeah in the Car

I bet it sounds like the Vocals are just punching out and everything else has something missing?

I can tell you what it is:

you have plenty of Percussion Cymbols:

everyone listen for the snare? or the Attack of the Kik?

that's the thing friend..

you need a snare there and an attack of the kik the Bass is actually nice.

sounds DI - like i said go and Record your drums at a studio and do everything else at home:

if you do it at home if you have three mics here's your preference.

1. mic on the snare

2. mic on the KIK

3. Mic above for your crash and hat.

so you should have three tracks ok gate the Kik and Gate the Snare don't gat Cymbols, just move them further so you don't get the low then cut them.

it's good I told you i would help you.

look at an Audio piece as a little engine you're running on 2 cylinders at the moment but the car looks fine you just need to fix it up.

add the snare and kik.
these two are really shooting vodka with the SS in the hills of Italy Go rescue them.

I think that first of all, the snare and kick need alot more high end.
Also the guitars, they're really dark for this style of song. I expect them to be alot brighter and crisp.
I think what makes it sound off is that the vocals are fairly bright and up front and everything else is pretty dark sounding.

With some tweaks I bet this could sound pretty damn good though.

metalhead pretty much said what I was thinking about the mix. The bass sounds pretty right on where it sits now but that may change a touch once you remix.

:D:):D:)

Right on guys. I am worried though because i already have a pretty big boost on the upper ends of the snare and kick. I believe around 1k on the kick, and around 5k on the snare. Its also about as loud as those are gonna get. Im peaking around -4 on the kick and -6-7 on the snare. Anything more and my mains clip. Any ideas? Thanks again dudes... Im surprized no one's commented on the bit-crushed guitar solo.....lol

-Joel

Is the kick drum panned to the left? That's kind of odd, but obviously your choice! The biggest things I'd change right away:

Bass is too loud in the mids: is that direct-in? It sounds like it needs to be put through an amp, or at least a decent amp sim to get that low-end and higher-end grit. Also turn it down a bit.

Guitars are too quiet for my taste, and a little too panned: try 65-75% each. Also take out most of that reverb you have on 'em (assuming it's artificial)

Vocals either have too much reverb, or you captured too much of the smallish room you were in: either way, there's too much, and it sounds too small.

The drummer either didn't hit nearly hard enough, had a mediocre kit, or you didn't close-mic the snare. Either way, I'm not sure there's much you can do. The double-kick doesn't make any sense for that part towards the end if you ask me hah :p

The guitar solo sounds REALLY odd, is that an amp sim? It sounds like the guy in contra is playing a guitar solo through the 4-bit nintendo!

Levels-wise, most everything is pretty good considering your source material! Definitely way good enough for a simple demo to hand out at shows :) It captures the song well, and represents the band accurately. The biggest thing I'd say is just learn from your experience, make notes, and improve the things you don't like. Keep doing this, keep recording, and things will keep improving dramatically!

*edit: I just noticed you said your mains were clipping with any more volume on the kick/snare: try taking out more of the kick's lower-mids, then throwing both of them through a compressor.

Right on guys. I am worried though because i already have a pretty big boost on the upper ends of the snare and kick. I believe around 1k on the kick, and around 5k on the snare. Its also about as loud as those are gonna get. Im peaking around -4 on the kick and -6-7 on the snare. Anything more and my mains clip. Any ideas? Thanks again dudes... Im surprized no one's commented on the bit-crushed guitar solo.....lol

-Joel

Not to sound sarcastic, but if that's the case then just try turning everything down across the board and start over balancing your levels once you get the sounds happening. I wouldn't worry about how much eq you do, you just have to do enough to get it to sound right. That might mean extreme changes on certain things.

I just pulled up the EQ in Windows Media Player and I boosted 5db at 4k and 3db at 2k and the snare and guitar both started coming to life a bit. Of course it sucked for the cymbals and the vocals, but you get the idea.
I also pulled out a little at 250 and 500 and I think it helped the snare a little.
It's hard to tell considering it rapes the rest of the mix.

I think you could get by with alot more eq here.

Is the kick drum panned to the left? That's kind of odd, but obviously your choice! The biggest things I'd change right away:

Bass is too loud in the mids: is that direct-in? It sounds like it needs to be put through an amp, or at least a decent amp sim to get that low-end and higher-end grit. Also turn it down a bit.

Guitars are too quiet for my taste, and a little too panned: try 65-75% each. Also take out most of that reverb you have on 'em (assuming it's artificial)

Vocals either have too much reverb, or you captured too much of the smallish room you were in: either way, there's too much, and it sounds too small.

The drummer either didn't hit nearly hard enough, had a mediocre kit, or you didn't close-mic the snare. Either way, I'm not sure there's much you can do. The double-kick doesn't make any sense for that part towards the end if you ask me hah :p

The guitar solo sounds REALLY odd, is that an amp sim? It sounds like the guy in contra is playing a guitar solo through the 4-bit nintendo!

Levels-wise, most everything is pretty good considering your source material! Definitely way good enough for a simple demo to hand out at shows :) It captures the song well, and represents the band accurately. The biggest thing I'd say is just learn from your experience, make notes, and improve the things you don't like. Keep doing this, keep recording, and things will keep improving dramatically!

*edit: I just noticed you said your mains were clipping with any more volume on the kick/snare: try taking out more of the kick's lower-mids, then throwing both of them through a compressor.

Ok, where do I start? LOL

The kick shouldn't be panned to the left, as it's mono up the center, and my spaced pairs are equidistant from the kick.

The bass was recorded through a Carvin 1200w head and Laney 4x10 cab with a beta52. So, it's not DI. It's also HEAVILY scooped in the mids.

The guitars are 80-80 panned, so I'll fix that. There is no artificial reverb on them. I have also retuned them, and brought them up.

When we recorded the vocals, they had absolutely no reverb whatsoever. I used an sE reflexion filter behind a mattress to absorb any stray sound. I have since realized I never retuned the reverb on the vox.

I am the drummer, and I hit plenty hard enough, and play on a Tama Superstar Custom with Iron Cobra hardware, and Zildjian K & A custom cymbals recorded through sm57's, beta52's and sm81's (e604/609 on toms)The sm57 was pretty much right on top of the snare. Also the double kick part are sextuplets to continue progression. I do realize that area needs to be rehashed, as it's not particularly "together" there.

I intentionally put the solo through a bit crusher just to see what people would say...LOL hence the comment. I have since changed that, and when I fix a few more issues

-to Metalhead:

I think you'll like what I have done with the snare and the kick. I'll get the mp3 up as soon as I play a little more (I always mix after work, at about 1am so I'm usually tired after not too long). I'll evaluate it today and get a mix up.

I have since gotten a fairly decent snare and kick sound.

The guitars are 80-80 panned, so I'll fix that. There is no artificial reverb on them.

I'm not disputing you, but I definitely hear some sort of reverb. Honestly, everything in the mix sounds like its far away... but thats just me. Cool song tho!

Now that I listened to the mp3 I posted (sorry I have like 10 diff mixes) I realize for some reason the reverb was on those tracks... (damn FX channels). I have since fixed that, among other things....I'll have a new mix up tomorrow (have to go to work). Thanks for all of the input guys,

-Joel

They don't want to come home.

"I am worried though because i already have a pretty big boost on the upper ends of the snare and kick. I believe around 1k on the kick, and around 5k on the snare. Its also about as loud as those are going to get. Im peaking around -4 on the kick and -6-7 on the snare. Anything more and my mains clip. Any ideas? Thanks again dudes... ..........."

Ahh as i thought! They DON'T want to be Rescued basically this comes down to the very pure Coke they have up there. plus the SS being very the very camaraderie type they were essentially a thinking soldier.

you need to find yourself two NEW recruits...

i'm hearing on different speakers (still headphones) it sounds like they are there a little more like maybe you got the local volunteer villagers to fill in or something but in the end you are going to have to re- recruit - re-record or drum re-place.

you say the 57 was right on top of the Snare? that makes me think something is wrong here and it may have to do with the overall mixing level. or the Tracking level.

something i have learned : snares sound better the less you EQ them so you should aim for the best sound right into that 57 when you hear it dose it sound nice and snappy?

Remember way back...... i said something that you didn't listen to, because you thought i was a crazy idiot...(which has, of course been now confirmed)

but you need to tell me what i said.........

(Ghostly sounds)
goooooo baaaaack jrhager84 goooo baaack and telll me whaaat iiii saiiid.

Woooooooooww.

Thank you.

I mean this in the nicest way possible Black Bay:

I understand about half of what you say....You confuse the HELL outta me? Villagers? Recruits?

I love you man, but you rarely make very much sense...

Back