Oh What a Night - acoustic cover

andrushkiwt

Trying out another acoustic cover. Recorded on 1960s Sigma acoustic with sm7b on both guitar and vocals. Mostly waves plugins, some free ones in there too. I think I cranked the delay and reverb up on this one - both from Tal (talverb and tal-delay). Vocals are doubled with the second track about 6db lower. Most individual tracks compressed with CLA-76 and/or CLA-2A plugins. Master EQ is SSL-EQ plugin and goes through a channel strip called Scheps Omni Channel. Superior Drummer 4 makes an appearance on hi-hat! ha.

Thoughts on the mix would be appreciated. Thanks!

Trying out another acoustic cover. Recorded on 1960s Sigma acoustic with sm7b on both guitar and vocals. Mostly waves plugins, some free ones in there too. I think I cranked the delay and reverb up on this one - both from Tal (talverb and tal-delay). Vocals are doubled with the second track about 6db lower. Most individual tracks compressed with CLA-76 and/or CLA-2A plugins. Master EQ is SSL-EQ plugin and goes through a channel strip called Scheps Omni Channel. Superior Drummer 4 makes an appearance on hi-hat! ha.

Thoughts on the mix would be appreciated. Thanks!

I love this tune & I think you did a real nice acoustic version. personally I would have double tracked the acoustic and split
them L / R but that's just preference. mix wise sounds good to me :)

I love this tune & I think you did a real nice acoustic version. personally I would have double tracked the acoustic and split
them L / R but that's just preference. mix wise sounds good to me :)

Thank you. That was definitely an option and I usually do exactly that. I wanted it as intimate as quiet as possible, so I ultimately decided to go with just one guitar track. I even fought off the urges to do harmonies. Went against the grain to see if one guitar and vocal could pull it off.

Glad ya liked it. Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate you taking the time to listen and comment.

Sounds great, dude. Love the crispness of the vocal, the subtle delays are fantastic. Might be able to get away with a little more highs on the acoustic, just a tad more sizzle, since it's the only instrument- I think you could. Seems a little dark, fits, but a little more air on it I would definitely mess with. Maybe even dip out a db or two more of somewhere between 100-400, could be these 'phones though, these are my slightly bassy-er ones. If you like it where it is, no problem, sounds great. Nice job as always, love your vocals.

Back