Official Unofficial Erland CD thread

Ok. here's my review of the CD after listening to it for about a week.

You can't deny Erland's talent. The content of this CD is brilliant. In CyanJaguar's lingo Erland is a Wildcard. My personal favorite trax are: Paris, Might Never See, The Last Time, Seventeen, LadyB, Runaway Rosie, Holywood Nose, Right or Wrong.

I wouldn't be surprised to hear that there is a major label A&R guy chasing him down in Peru somewhere.

Packaging isn't so great. The cover is cool but it's a one cd jewel case which means the second cd has nowhere to sit. That actually isn't too big a deal for me cause one is always in the cd player right now :).

All in all, this easily competes with any commercial release out there. Not on sound quality, but on content. All that's left for Erland is to hook up with the right producer. I expect that the next CD we'll see from Erland will be on Amazon, with a major label.

Wow. I listened to most of the selections on the way to work and back tonight. For me, this whole project is a real special document--a future classic in its own right. First, the fact that it was recorded on a portable digital recorder, mostly, is so cool. All these songs in a summer? He'd probably be cranking out an album a week if this is all he did.

The whole thing has a great charm to it. I feel like I am looking over the shoulder, hearing the personal work of a writer who will be revered in the future on a larger scale. He's already revered here of course. I love the noises in the background, the looseness and the general feeling of "press record--get the take while its fresh". There is great imagination in the arrangements, even the simple ones. And, every tune is different, so its sort of like the White Album in a sense. If you aren't in the mood for one thing, the climate will change with the next song.

Whats so special is that the feeling is so good and honest. The tracks didn't have the life produced out of them. It just feels fresh and quickly done--like an album from the early sixties, before people spent weeks recording one song. I suppose part of the charm is that you get the sense of travel with certain songs and we knew he had a goal to write the 33 songs in one summer. Surprising how well Erland reached his goal.

Runaway Rosie and a few others have an eerie McCartneyesque melodic sense thats the mark of a great melody writer. Lots of nice lyrics here too. Like a box of candy, each piece is a treat.

Sure, the recordings could have been technically better--some sibilance and brightness problems surface, but, really, who cares when you have a gift such as this? Someday, Erland will probably have a deal and a big producer who puts the big polish on his stuff. He'll be big. Then, one day, this set of songs will resurface as a bootleg or reissue and critics will gush all over again and be in awe of the simple beauty of this great CD.

Well, as luck would have it, World Talk Radio and I have parted ways (can you say no money?). I just wanted to say thanks to all of you who supported In The Mix with music submissions and emails - you guys are a great bunch!

What does this have to do with Erland? He emailed me from South America a couple of days ago with news of his new adventures. In support of his music, I'm forwarding links to his stuff to some very prominent broadcasters and producers that I've come to know in this crazy biz and hope to get some broader exposure for a deserving artist. Just my way of saying thanks to him and all of you...

just got an email from our friend erland in peru. he says hi and thanks for all the support.

Dave, I hope the contacts work out. Someone should take this guy and make a star out of him.

Hopefully, someone who just knows how to capture something and present it to the world in it's natural state and not someone who wants to make it sound like everything else that's on the radio today.

erichenryus said:
Hopefully, someone who just knows how to capture something and present it to the world in it's natural state and not someone who wants to make it sound like everything else that's on the radio today.

Here here!

Pinky said:
believe a portable digital 4 track

Boss 4 tracker and a condenser mic that he doesn't even know the manufacture with a preamp that came with the mic.

A1A2 said:
Boss 4 tracker and a condenser mic that he doesn't even know the manufacture with a preamp that came with the mic.

Goes to show you that TALENT will ALWAYS overcome whatever shortcomings you may have gear wise!

Hola!

What a fantastic surprise. Thanks Pinky for starting this thread. I am typing from Cusco, Peru on a matchbox computer. I am having an amaing time. just come back from a 4 day inca trail to Machu Pichu! Ace. Its tough at times but am definately enjoying myself.

I dont have a guitar and thats hard but I stayed with a Peruvian familly and they had a piano so I wrote a nice song for them. I look farward to getting back and recording it.

So a big thankyou to you wonderful bunch and am so pleased you are enjoying the CD. I will be home December 12, Speak you then. Anyone want Lama?

All the best and thankyou

Erland

Back